1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rumors or possible upcoming 4/3 lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BBW, Jan 15, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I could have sworn I saw a list posted somewhere on this site but can't seem to find it. It's possible the post wasn't even about Olympus lenses.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I have found a sort of map of lenses from the 43rumors.com site here: http://43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/zuiko_lens_eng.png where it appears that they are:
    Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6
    Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6

They seem to be projected for 2011 according to that site.

Please update with any new info.or in put. Thanks!

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The known upcoming lenses are:
    • Olympus 9-18, 14-150
    • Panasonic 14/2.8, 8mm fisheye, 100-300
    Then there are the rumors...

Will post more info later if no one else beats me to it!

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Also, as indicated in the roadmap from Olympus, an 11 or 12mm pancake, a 50mm macro and a 70-300mm superzoom.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    Higher Grade Lenses?

I would suspect that Panasonic or Olympus would have to announce a high(er) grade lens to accompany any "semi-professional" model. So I can imagine a brighter f/2.8-4.0 zoom or a 25 to 30mm f/1.4 prime. Personally, I'd be most interested in a 30mm f/1.4 prime. That would complement my 20 and 45 well, being somewhere in between. The 14mm f/2.8 prime also interests me if it's optically ok.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A couple lens roadmaps attached:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    Wow, amin...great info! this is really uplifting for m4/3 fans....thanx!

8. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    2 of the lenses are supposedly going to come out around PMA with the new Olympus and Panasonic cameras. I hope that they release the 100-300mm the most.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am looking forward to the Olympus 9-18mm - I love the focal range, but find my Pentax 12-24mm (same 35mm equivalent range) simply too bulky/awkward to carry around on a regular basis (the lens hood is enormous). The Oly 9-18 looks very nice and compact, and has filter threads (a turn-off from the 7-14mm - although I don't use UV filters, CPs, NDs and an IR filter all see occasional use by myself). If the reviews come out on the positive end, and the price is around $600 I will be in for one for sure (the size of the models shown looks very appealing already).

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

You know, I never even realized that some of these lenses might not have filter threads.:eek: I ordered one for my 17mm but perhaps it can't even work. I'm just used to using at least a UV or even a clear as a protection... Old dogs and new tricks...:drama:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The 7-14 lacks filter threads because the bulging front element precludes the use of standard filters. This is commonly the case for such wide lenses. The Oly 17 will take standard filters.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd also imagine that most filters would vignette anyways.

Dj

13. BBW

future lenses - two maps

This is a very handy thread to take a look at thanks to Amin's posting #6. So I'm bumping it up for those who may not have seen these two roadmaps of what may be in the pipelines.:bump:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I will settle for that Pany 14mm f2.8 especially as I believe it is going to be a pancake around the same size as the 20mm f1.7..............luverly, bring it on - and I hope the price is no more than the 20mm

15. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Agreed Ian but I hope it is less.....

16. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm looking forward to the 8mm fe. It will probably be the only other lens I purchase for :43:.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Regardless if Panny comes out with a new lens, good luck actually finding one for sale :rolleyes:

18. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Patience is a virtue. It took me over a year to find the Panasonic/Leica D Vario Elmarit 4/3 lens. I ended up buying one with a Leica pouch and lens cap (somehow it gives more value compared to the Lumix version).

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

:bump: Bringing this thread up again, especially for our newer members and anyone else who is wondering what lenses might be coming down the line.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I am still waiting on a fast 25mm oly prime:frown:

Anyone seen any rumours on the interweb about new Oly :43: primes?