Rumors (now denied): Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinurse

Mu-43 Regular
As much as I hate to say it, shutting down this money losing division seems the logical way to go. Hasn't it been losing money for quite some time?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
These guys don't like anything that goes against their narrative.

Screenshot_20191111-074456.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Screenshot_20191111-074506.png
Screenshot_20191111-074537.png

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
1980s Olympus is doomed without AF
1990s Olympus is still doomed without AF
2000s The internet is populated by "experts" forecasting the demise of the camera equipment division every couple of months.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1980s Olympus is doomed without AF
1990s Olympus is still doomed without AF
2000s The internet is populated by "experts" forecasting the demise of the camera equipment division every couple of months.
Thom Hogan has been one of the most vocal "experts" for over a decade now.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I became so frustrated by all the rumors, absolute crazy statements people make based on hearsay or this weird "Aperture" report saying Olympus is closing in less than 8 months that I went and sat down to study Olympus past 10 years history and to write an article about it on my blog. Anybody is welcome to head over there, get a cup of coffee and enjoy. I believe its how you look at life that is important and doing that I did not find anything that out of line that made me sit upright and say run. It is clear the imaging division had a history of high costs, R&D plus seem the global structure was never really cost conscious prior 2012. From 2012 Olympus implemented 3 major company programs to implement change. A lot depends on the new product launches expected for the remainder of 2019 and 2020. If they do it right I think they have a good chance turning the ship by 2021, their target year to go positive....
You will find my article here

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I very much doubt the validity of this rumor, but the denial on 43rumors means nothing either. The admin there doesn't seem particularly plugged into Olympus' plans lately and I remember very similar denials on the Samsung Rumors site a few weeks before the official announcement.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
What a joke of a website. Deletes and bans anyone that doesn't agree with their flawed narrative.

Screenshot_20191111-114149~2.png

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Damn, does this mean my E-M1.1 and lenses are all going to stop working?

There's an on board chip that times the camera out on 6/09/2020 anyway. The E-M1x has two cpu's and they buried it in one of those chips just so you can't find it. The E-M1 only has the single cpu and it's easy to find, but if you try and remove it, it takes off your hand. Typical Oly.

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wonder if there's a profit motive, I mean this has to be generating a lot of clicks - especially from people countering the argument in the comments.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I wonder if there's a profit motive, I mean this has to be generating a lot of clicks - especially from people countering the argument in the comments.

Probably. Lot of ads there. Probably generated ad revenue.

I certainly won't be giving it any more time of day, other than installing an ad blocker the next time I go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom