Rumors (now denied): Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting observation. When did Olympus last release a Pro lens, or for that matter, any lens?
The 12-200 camera came out earlier this year. If we don't see any lens announcement by spring then we can start worrying

And then there was this Olympus Interview comment from April

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4121892976/cp-2019-olympus-interview

We plan to launch several lenses every year and, of course, there will be releases of lenses before the 150-400mm PRO launch in 2020. So, please look out for a more information about our forthcoming product releases.

Last edited:

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it's a combination of old rumours that someone rehashed into a new rumour.
More like someone with an agenda, or someone looking to generate more clicks.

Photography related "news"/rumor sites are like porta potties, they always seem to be full of sh...................

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
The 12-200 camera came out earlier this year. If we don't see any lens announcement by spring then we can start worrying

And then there was this Olympus Interview comment from April

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4121892976/cp-2019-olympus-interview
MC20. Not technically a lens but falls under the lens category and only compatible with 2 Pro lenses.

Also. As the catalogues filled out there's so much more focal range covered now. Aside from my MC20, this year's been the first year I haven't bought a lens in some time.

Olympus also released a statement a few months back saying they're going to up the production chain next year.

Last edited:
Real Name
Siegfried
One should ask the question, are these manufacturers only targeting photographers? What other "emerging markets" or segments require in-depth imaging know-how? Example, everywhere you look you see surveillance equipment, all motorcars use some kind of visual driver assistance. The "future" medical industry rely heavily imaging technologies.
  • See the Sony sensor sales increase and ask yourself where does all these sensors go?
  • I cannot help to ask.....if rumor creators can eliminate competitors, who will benefit most?
  • I also think all imaging technology companies are fully aware of the fact that it is not only us who like their imaging technologies.....?
  • If you look at it like this you see how stupid these rumor creators think people are.....

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
One should ask the question, are these manufacturers only targeting photographers? What other "emerging markets" or segments require in-depth imaging know-how? Example, everywhere you look you see surveillance equipment, all motorcars use some kind of visual driver assistance. The "future" medical industry rely heavily imaging technologies.
  • See the Sony sensor sales increase and ask yourself where are all these sensors go?
  • I cannot help to ask.....if rumor creators can eliminate competitors, who will benefit most?
  • I also think all imaging technology companies are fully aware of the fact that it is not only us who like their imaging technologies.....?
  • If you look at it like this you see how stupid these rumor creators think people are.....
Well... It looks like people are even dumber one could possibly imagine.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I don’t know about the rumor but there are some really defensive people in this thread.
When malicious rumours are generated & beat up & spread from site to site, I can't just sit back & watch it all happen without a response. That 'rumor' site that posted that 'opinion' site's opinion like it was almost fact & then others start believing & posting it too. That just shows the lowness of these sites for perpetuating such damaging (mis)information. There is a biased agenda or just self gratification in doing so (like that Tony guy).

Last edited:

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
Well we cant really know but Olympus have a corporate strategy that stretches to fiscal year 2023, in wich the imaging division remain as a crucial component to the overall business.

https://www.olympus-global.com/news/2019/nr01439.html
I can imagine that in 2020-2021 Oly will release all products in development (to generate some money) and (in the worst scenario) later on they will halt any R&D on lens side. They might focus on m4/3 lens catalogue production which will again generate some money to a company cash box.
Since 2022 only E-M1 and E-M5 lines might continue because there will be no market for < $1000 cameras; yes, there will be, but margin on these cameras will be so small and the volume so low that it will be unprofitable for a camera vendor such as Olympus (see what is being happened at Nikon's camp with revenue/profit drop of cheap DSLRs sales).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom