Rumors (now denied): Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly Sony.
I wonder if they will stick with the brand as they mature photographically - too many times I read about the Sony bodies feeling a bit too much as consumer electronics devices in contrast to more “traditional” brands handling ... unless younger guys have a different approach to handling during these iSmartphone times. I have just few minutes of Sony handling experience and I did not feel anything nice besides admiring the AF engine performance.

n3eg

Mu-43 Regular
"It is total instability now in camera division, in various countries people are running and looking for new positions. Lot of rumors and talks that we can hear sudden closure press release within January-March time.
I know a high school classmate and Facebook friend who works for Olympus, and I don't see her frantically rushing to LinkedIn right now.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
These guys don't like anything that goes against their narrative.

View attachment 785225View attachment 785226View attachment 785227
He doesn't like my comments either. ;)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1573687278015.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I wonder if they will stick with the brand as they mature photographically - too many times I read about the Sony bodies feeling a bit too much as consumer electronics devices in contrast to more “traditional” brands handling ... unless younger guys have a different approach to handling during these iSmartphone times. I have just few minutes of Sony handling experience and I did not feel anything nice besides admiring the AF engine performance.
Sony is no Apple ---> No. I don't think they will. Everyone seems to be obsessed with the Sony IQ and AF and ignore everything else. :D
Sooner or later others catch up and in addition offer better ergonomics, menus, weather sealing etc.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
According to sources, they might as well close their doors. MFT (along with M43 and Micro 4/3) died last year (or was it earlier this year?) so there is no point to using them anymore.

In a related story, the Olympus E-m5 is close to the size of the original OM-1. This according to a recent poll.

"Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish."

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pretty milquetoast response from Olympus to this rumor.

43rumors said:
Sina Finance news” officially asked Olympus to comment the rumors about the possibility of their camera business shutdown. The official answer (note: google translated):

“The image business has always been the driving force of technology, including imaging technology and mass production technology, for medical and The science field has made tremendous contributions. As stated in the new business strategy, since the imaging business and the scientific business are important businesses supporting the company, we will continue to work on the improvement of profitability and efficiency in these two business areas.”
Sina also asked them regarding the fact that there is no discussion about the image business and the scientific business in the business strategy, does it mean that Olympus is considering the sale of these businesses? Olympus answer is:

Detailed information about these business plans can be found in the next quarter’s earnings.
So we will see in next quarters report how Olympus plans to revive their financially declining Imaging Business.

Real Name
Richard
As much as I hate to say it, shutting down this money losing division seems the logical way to go. Hasn't it been losing money for quite some time?
Only Olympus knows the bigger picture. Their R&D spend on imaging could have a profound effect on the profitability of the entire group. They are a global business made up of dozens of companies. Global businesses put their losses and their profits where it suits them best (at least, the smart ones do).

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Only Olympus knows the bigger picture. Their R&D spend on imaging could have a profound effect on the profitability of the entire group. They are a global business made up of dozens of companies. Global businesses put their losses and their profits where it suits them best (at least, the smart ones do).
They're a public company. Their finances aren't held under lock and key.

I wonder when Photo Rumors will be emailing us with an apology @Ross the fiddler?

From Discover on Google https://petapixel.com/2019/11/14/olympus-officially-denies-rumors-that-it-will-shut-down-its-camera-business/

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They're a public company. Their finances aren't held under lock and key.

I wonder when Photo Rumors will be emailing us with an apology @Ross the fiddler?

From Discover on Google https://petapixel.com/2019/11/14/olympus-officially-denies-rumors-that-it-will-shut-down-its-camera-business/
I can't say a statement directly from Olympus means very much, as absurd as that sounds. There's no way any publicly traded company would broadcast something like that so far in advance. Are we forgetting how this worked with Samsung, in that case just weeks before the official announcement?

Samsung said:
Withdrawing from the camera business is not true and there is no official plan to stop production of cameras and lenses. Samsung continuously analyzes the varying needs and requirements of consumers in each market and region very carefully. However, we do not officially comment on rumors or speculation.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
The telling sign will be the lens announcements. Just take a look at how Samsung and Nikon 1 exited and when the 4/3 system was dropped. They stopped announcing new non-kit lenses well before the system was dropped and they all introduced one final body update. Let's see if we get any new PRO lenses early next year. That is going to be the telling sign.

Last edited:

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The telling sign will be the lens announcements. Just take a look at how Samsung and Nikon 1 exited and when the 4/3 system was dropped. They stopped announcing new non-kit lenses well before the system was dropped and they all introduced one final body update. Let's see if we get any new PRO lenses early next year. That is going to be the telling sign.
Samsung actually announced a 300 f/2.8 just before they shut down.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Samsung actually announced a 300 f/2.8 just before they shut down.
Goes to show it was probably business as usual for everyone except the very top executives making the decision to pull the plug. And that process probably came very swiftly to avoid any drawn out debacles.

Which makes elements of the original rumour suspicious because people wouldn’t be told to go look for a new job so soon before any announcements are actually made as that sort of news would surely leak out from disgruntled employees.
I still think it might be a downsizing or maybe a regional closure in particularly poor performing markets that is being blown into a full imaging department closure.

Neil Harris

Mu-43 Regular
Interesting observation. When did Olympus last release a Pro lens, or for that matter, any lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom