Rumors (now denied): Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Am I on the M43 DPR forum by some quirk of the internet?

I expect better of this forum.

The answer to the question is: who knows.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Damn, does this mean my E-M1.1 and lenses are all going to stop working?
Eventually....

If they were going to shut down in 8 months, they probably wouldn't have bothered releasing the E-M5 III :whistling:

Not that I’m saying I buy the rumor, but if they released it recently, they’ve been working on it for 18 months at least. Samsung released a flagship camera and pro lenses and then bailed..

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Peter is very quick to state his opinion & put down anyone that doesn't agree with him, with a threat of labelling the poster a troll & what follows. I came close recently.

And here I thought you were going to ask me about which politicians have blocked me!! (George Christensen, Fraser Anning and Malcolm Roberts are probably the biggest ones, Mark Latham and Pauline Hanson have flatout stopped responding to me... For a while I also had an account called Smokin' Joe Hockey which was a parody of Joe Hockey, but it took up too much time to keep running).

swifty

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Thom Hogan’s commentary on the rumour on 43rumors is quite interesting.
What may be happening is a few distributions networks in poor performing markets may indeed be closing down and as rumours go, it gets perpetuated into the ‘whole camera business’.

Just a small bit of good news to counteract the doom and gloom. I know for a fact Olympus Singapore sold out their EM-5.3 preorders partially because of the good preorder deal they were running. But the promotion was supposed to run til Nov 8 but the whole initial allotment sold out Nov 6.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I became so frustrated by all the rumors, absolute crazy statements people make based on hearsay or this weird "Aperture" report saying Olympus is closing in less than 8 months that I went and sat down to study Olympus past 10 years history and to write an article about it on my blog. Anybody is welcome to head over there, get a cup of coffee and enjoy. I believe its how you look at life that is important and doing that I did not find anything that out of line that made me sit upright and say run. It is clear the imaging division had a history of high costs, R&D plus seem the global structure was never really cost conscious prior 2012. From 2012 Olympus implemented 3 major company programs to implement change. A lot depends on the new product launches expected for the remainder of 2019 and 2020. If they do it right I think they have a good chance turning the ship by 2021, their target year to go positive....
You will find my article here
Thanks. I liked that blog (I didn't get to read it all but several sections so far). :drinks:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Why? A rumour was posted and then debunked.

No infighting here.
While I applaud you for wanting to debunk what is reasonably believed to be a myth, I am reminded of the old adage about never mud wrestling with a pig. You end up with mud on you, and the pig enjoys the attention.

All the best,

--Ken

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I hope the rumor is not true. If it turns out to be true then I will be forced to buy all new gear in some other system. Sometime. My more immediate concerns would be:

1) are there any bargains to be had in the short term?
2) how long will the Olympus Workspace software continue to operate?
3) should I try to salvage some money by selling off any of my Micro Four Thirds gear?

For now I am not going to waste a lot of time thinking about this.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Rumours aside there's some crazy promotions/pricing going on atm here. the E M10 mkll seems to be selling at a higher price than the mklll at a lot of retailers. Olympus Australia seems to be really pushing the mklll. One example from the same retailer
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II + 14-42mm III EZ + 40-150mm R Lens Aus$898
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Aus $ 599
Over 25% Off. Save $250. Bonus 40-150mm Lens. Valued at $359 - Ends 15.11.2019 9am
Bonus 25mm F1.8 Lens. Valued at $499. Via Redemption - Ends 06.01.2020

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Why do you need to replace the gear if all is going OK & Olympus Workspace won't stop working? Should you salvage money? If the worst happens then I hope I can salvage someones 300 f4 lens at a quarter of normal price then.

Agreed. Which is why I said "sometime." By which I mean, when the critical pieces start failing one after another, or when Windows or MacOS won't run Workspace any more. If they announced they were shutting down (which I don't expect at this time), I would keep my eyes open for bargains in the shorter term and otherwise stick with what I have.

And +1 to PakkyT. My Minolta SRT-101 would still take nice pictures if I would send it in for a tuneup.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
If it turns out to be true then I will be forced to buy all new gear in some other system. Sometime.
Why? Will someone put a gun to your head?

I still shoot the occasional roll of film on my OM gear. And I've been known to cut down sheet film to fit my 80-year-old Zeiss Ikon, which used an odd-ball size.

The single biggest problem I could see would be no more batteries available. I went through that with the OM-1, because they used mercury batteries. Turns out, you can add a small diode and use alkaline batteries.

The first thing I'll do with a BLH battery that will no longer hold a charge will be to solder some wires onto the terminals so that you can power the camera from an external battery or power supply.

And if the electronics crap out, then there's still the OM-1…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom