1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumors continue that Oly 300mm Pro will be announced Jan 6

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Many of us had guessed that the lens would be part of any announcement by Olympus on January 6. The latest rumor also continues with the estimated list price in the $2500 range and interestingly....it will start shipping by end of February.

It will be interesting to see when Panasonic says Leica will start shipping....and at what list price. We need a little battle in the marketplace to drive down the prices for both those lenses. Something closer to the $1300 price at B&H for a Canon or Nikon 300mm F4 would be much better.

I guess we will all know more in just over 3 weeks. Happy Holidays to all!!!!

(FT5) Olympus 300mm PRO lens will be announced on January 6. | 43 Rumors

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Why do people keep trying to compare what the price of 300/4 should be with the Canon 300/4? To begin with, R&D cost for Olympus is not any cheaper then for Canon or Nikon. Production cost are at least equal and probably substantially more due to a lower volume of units produced. The Canon and the older Nikon are both approximately 19 years old and have seen a lot of price drops over those years. I looked up the price of the Canon when it was released for another thread and in today's dollars it was approximately $2,400. Nikon just released a new 300/4 that everyone discounts when talking about what price the Olympus should sell for. Well that lens is $2,000 and why would you expect the Olympus to be cheaper? Their R&D cost is probably equal and Nikon will sell more so can charge less to recoup those cost and can produce them at a lower cost per unit (such is how manufacturing works). Based on the price of the new Nikon and given the size of Olympus I can see why it will be priced around $2,500. When Canon releases an update to the 300/4 I bet it comes in right at $2,000 also.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. You have two other options in one of the xx-300 zooms. This lens is not for everyone, was not built to be (if you think Olympus did not know this when they started the development you are delusional).

If you want/need an effective reach of 600mm in a native lens, you buy this lens or look elsewhere. Yes, there are cheaper options in other systems. You are free to vote with your wallet and change systems. But, remember that those cheaper options are consumer grade optics and not weather sealed. They will in no way compare to the IQ or capability of this lens. Or, you can shell out a whole lot more money to get the same IQ and capability.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Rumor without confidence factor.

"We know Olympus will announce the new 300mm PRO lens at CES (January 6th). And I suspect Panasonic will show us the final 100-400mm MFT lens specs and design. But so far I heard nothing about a possible MFT camera announcement at CES. Both the GF 4K camera and the new PEN with integrated viewfinder are more likely to be announced at CP+ by late February (or later)."

No new Olympus and Panasonic MFT cameras at CES. Wait for CP+! | 43 Rumors

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I was talking yesterday with a Visionary, and he told me that the 300 F4 will be available at the end of January/beginning of February, and the price will be about 1500€.

I hope he's right.

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That price seems much more in line and I'd buy one. Let's hope.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    These days 1500€ is around $1630. So if that lens is indeed around that price and available for order at the beginning of Feb.....good news indeed!

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Jamie talks about his hands on experience with the 300mm a few minutes in.

8. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I just received an email from BHPhoto showing the Oly 300mm f4 lens as Discontinued. Not sure why, hope Olympus is bot pulling the plug on this one

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Perhaps they are cleaning house and getting rid of their old entry for the non-IS version that was supposed to be released last year.....and getting ready to put in the new product that does have IS and should be announced in around 2 weeks at CES.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Uhhh... I've got some bad news guys...

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Probably just a change in product number/SKU

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I suspect this is an automated message generated because the original entry (SKU) was deleted from their data base, and you were notified because it also deleted your request of availability.

13. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Look at the photo of the original designed lens in the B&H listing & it is understandable that it is be "discontinued" to be replaced with the OIS version as in this photo.
    Olympus_300mm-700x410.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I think B&H just has its finger on Olympus' pulse and you blokes are desperately clutching at straws whilst afloat in the Nile... :biggrin:

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Says the bloke from the middle of the desert in Western Australia. :p :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I like the desert, no one remembers your name... :whistling: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    (FT5) Olympus 300mm PRO lens will be announced on January 6 at 6am London time. | 43 Rumors

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sure we do, Troy. It's right under your avatar.:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dammit! :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.