1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumored sensor shift for EM-5, could this be added to EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TomServo, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Sorry if this has already been posted/suggested but in reading the rumors about the multi-shot/sensor shift idea that MAY be coming to the next EM5, I wonder if it would possible for OM to add this to the current EM-1 (if so inclined). Seems like all the necessary parts are already in the body. Just a firmware upgrade seems like it could add this feature. I'd be willing to pay for something like that if they would be willing to do it. It would be great for studio product shots and probably the landscape shooters too.

Just a random thought...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My guess is that this requires a sensor motor with different adjustment motors. If all it took was a software upgrade, it wouldn't be too much of a selling point. I doubt you will see this capability in the E-M1; Olympus will make a big change for the E-M1 Mk.II. They will probably go to a higher pixel count Sony sensor (20-22MP??), plus the sensor shift capability being introduced in the E-M5 Mk.II. The changes for each camera going forward will have to be carefully planned out to give the premium bodies something special to differentiate each one from the next one down the line or buyers will just go for the cheaper bodies. As interesting as the E-M5 Mk.II may be, I'll wait until the next generation E-M1 comes out in a couple of years. Expect big changes to the M43 capabilities then (Photokina year).

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It wouldn't surprise me if they could add it to the E-M1 without any hardware changes. The IBIS system in the E-M1 does work at full speed continuous shooting. Only the AF tracking requires a slower frame-per-second option.

It's entirely possible this rumoured sensor shift option will be a one-time-one-camera deal.

I'm curious what the feature will do for battery life if it does actually work by taking 8 shots each time you use it.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I wouldn't want this pixel shift option in my flagship camera.

I'm hoping the EM1 has better C-AF performance and a newer sensor with better dynamic range and cleaner hi ISO.

5. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    It seems fairly evident that the EM-1 could have been updated with 4K video recording, or even better framerates on 1080p, and they did not do that either. I don't think there is much point in hoping for fairly major functionality changes in a camera that has been out for a while.

• Like Like x 1