Rumored low end OM_D specs ......

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Jul 5, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    While we have a thread on the rumored OM-1 I am surprised that there is not a thread on the rumored low end OM-D. From (FT3) Some low end OMD specs… | 43 Rumors:

I am surprised that this rumored model is not being discussed as some many of us, me included, wanted to see the new PEN E-P5 have an EVF. And, with all of the buzz about the new GX-2. If Olympus launches this new OM-D, along with the rumored E-M1, they will have a really nice three body OM line-up, IMHO.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That would be very good news - finally something that competes with small DSLRs and Panasonic's Gn series. Question as always will be price. The E-P5 and E-M5 are $900 today. They will surely be less by the time this new camera is introduced.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Well we know that the low-end model will be priced below on the E-M5 and the E-M1 above it. $800 - 1,400 MSRP?

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, they are making a mistake in down-specing the IBIS.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'd guess because the "true verification" right now is on the low side....

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I thought the E-M5 evf had a resolution of 1.44 million pixels, the same as the VF2. Anything under that would keep me away, unless they somehow made up for it with a super fast refresh rate.

7. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    Sounds like an E-PL5 with a permanent VF-3. . .

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think they meant lower resolution than the upcoming E-M1 (2.4MP), rather than lower than the E-M5 (1.4MP), which would be just plain strange.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. The E-P5 would have been more tempting than the E-M5 for me if it were significantly cheaper, but it's not. Between this lower-end OM-D and the E-P5 I would probably rather go for the E-P5 if the price is similar. However, if this one is significantly cheaper then it just may fall into my radar. :)

10. qpalzm

qpalzm New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not interested in this myself, but anything to grab m4/3 more market share I'm all for.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That seems to be exactly what it is. I really like my E-PL5 but I'm not sure I'd want the extra bulk for the lower res EVF, especially since an E-PL5 and a VF-2 would be a superior package in the EVF dept and would allow the option of removing the EVF. Still, for the right price it would be an excellent camera with great IQ, and many would be happy with such a camera. For some, the EVF is a mostly a sunny day alternative to the LCD, and it would work fine for framing purposes.

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Sounds like a PL5 with a viewfinder.

What's this EM-1?

13. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm more interested in the next high end OM-D. After playing with my wife's G5, I'd really like a built-in EVF. I like the specs of the E-P5. Maybe having the EVF removable is good, but I think it looks stupid.

14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Anyone here think the E-M5 IS the low end of the OMD line ?????

15. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    The rumored E-M1 it's supposed to be the low end OMD, I don't know what are they going to do with the E-M5, maybe it will be discontinued :confused:

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I also understood that the lower-end model is named E-M1. I believe the E-M5 is still selling well enough to allow Oly to wait till next spring to release the updated version of E-M5. I think it's the right move since they will have a year more time to develop a new better sensor for it. IMO it wouldn't make much sense to replace the E-M5 without a better sensor.

I HOPE the E-M1 will be priced properly (~600-700€ would sell well I think) so that m43 could get more market share...

17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I guess I missed this and a search doesn't turn it up. Can you point me to it?

... edit ...

Oh, wait a minute! You wrote "OM-1" which is an old film camera! Did you mean EM-1? Or is there more to the name (like OM-D EM-1)?

... edit off ...

Thanks,

18. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    The rumored specs about this E-M1 doesn't really make it a low end model...
    Anyway, I am dreaming about an OM-D with that organic sensor I read rumors about... 14-15 stops of dynamic range... :biggrin:

P.S.: I know, never trust rumors...

But stil...:drinks:

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    LOL. Amen, brother. Let's be honest for a moment here: the G series has the ergs and the Pens/OMs have the looks. For that reason as much as anything else, lower end OM-D makes perfect sense if the price is right. Oly appears to be release a higher spec and a lower spec camera, so there's some rumor confusion out there. After all, the three model lineup, i.e., novice, enthusiast, pro, is very typical.