Rumored Faster AF for new Oly Bodies

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Djarum, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Olympus "reinvents" the AF system! It is incredibly fast!

Interesting. Keep in mind though that the faster AF, according to the rumor, is only for new lenses. That means Older lenses may or may not focus faster.

I think its great news, but bad news, because Olympus is basically obsoleting lenses pretty fast. This could mean that all the current lenses could get a refresh in new design to have faster AF. This is why I have personally been so hesitant to buy more lenses. After Olympus redesigned the collapsable lens for faster AF, it left a bad taste in my mouth considering that was my biggest complaint about the first collapsable lens.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Let's see what happens! I'd be very surprised if the existing lenses' performance declined with the new bodies. You'd still have what you paid for, I guess.

I think some lenses becoming 'obsolete' is something we may have to get used to; as I understand it, digital lenses are computers too, with their own firmware updates etc. If so, then it's not surprising that lenses might become outmoded over time.
  3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    another reason to steer me away from digital lenses! which is a shame as autofocus is handy....even though i love the old mf
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    As much as I enjoy my EP-2... and have been patiently waiting on some decent primes from Olympus in the 25mm (50mm) 43mm (85mm) and 67mm (135mm). I would much more have preferred a significant leap on ISO preformance like what is capable on the X100 and onboard flash for "fill flash" capabilities. Taking into account ISO Performance, Onboard Flash and Autofocus speed.. I would say autofocus speed is the last thing anyone in the class of camera is really concerned with unless it was a PEN Pro. I personally would have loved the EP-3 to have to been:

1. ISO Monster.. capable similar to the X100.

2. Significantly weaken even more the AA filter to improve sharpness or get rid of it completely. The potential implication on Moire isnt that much of a concern to the PEN user vs. tack sharp images. I would find it a cool feature if you could do what the X100 does with the ND filter and have it a function of adding the AA when desired.

2. Thinner body.. coupled with a pancake to be pocketable.

3. Onboard fill flash..

4. Better glass selection on primes

5. Improved Autofocus in dim-dark light as current system hunts tremendously.

6. Improved daylight Autofocus.

From a marketing side, more pocketable and killer ISO would have been enough to leap it ahead of the Panas in sales and keep the NEXs at bay. Also, not having soooo many m43 bodies all basically the same would help too.

1 EP, 1 EPL and 1.. automatically discontinuing previous outdated models i.e. when EP 2 launched, get rid of EP1. When EPL2 launch, get rid of EPl1 etc. Also between EP and EPL has to be a much bigger gap in terms of performance.

I still cant believe Olympus allowed the EPL-2 to be better then the EP-2.. (same speed 1/4000, weaker AA, onboard flash, better kit lens) etc. That should never have happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Maybe they should make a way for the optics to be swapped from one housing to another with a new AF motor or something. Its one thing to pay for optics. Good optics are good optics, but if the user relys on fast AF and AF improvements in lenses, then whats the point of spending all that money on good optics?

Its like buying a car with a great engine but crappy transmission. If a company every year decided to keep upgrading the transmission, you think people would be buying? People will eventually, regardless of how great the engine is, be turned off.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think obsoleting is too strong a word. Those lenses still work fine, and I doubt they'll get replaced. Look at Canon's SLR lineup - the original generation of EF primes is still a good value even though they make a grinding sound when you use them and don't focus as quickly as some of the USM primes. All the Pentax screwdriver driven Limited primes make noise and don't focus very fast; people love them. The Panasonic 20mm lens isn't such a fast focuser, and it is the most loved lens for our system, unlikely to be replaced with a faster focusing version any time soon.

The kit zooms getting replaced over and over is another story. Those will be continually refined for smaller size, faster AF, and better video. The good news is that you get them relatively cheap with any body upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    This is also what I thought when the e-pL2 was released.
    But that's looking from the e-P2's point of view, not from Olympus'.
    Perhaps their improvents of the e-P3 were internally delayed and we'll reap the benefits when it is released?
    Maybe designing-in an internal flash for the e-P body was problematic.
    Maybe it'll get a finer-resolution VF?
  8. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I share some of the misgivings expressed above. I am not one to keep upgrading my camera body and had hoped that I'd bought into a system which would grow in a logical and reasonably linear fashion with better and faster lenses to fit my E-p2. The Olympus strategy seems to get evermore random and worries me more than a little. I fear I would be faced with paying top £££ for lenses I can't fully utilise without changing to a later body model.
    I think I have already made the decision to build onward with the Panasonic lens collection as it looks the safer bet to me.
    Just a psychotic newbie probably :confused:
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Faster AF will be great. Hopefully, Oly will add an AF assist light as well. I like the idea of getting rid of the AA filter.
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe they incorporated an AF assist lamp in the lens, and are claiming a low light AF speed improvement.
  11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Aaaarrrrrggghhhh!!! Just when I thought I've settled on an upgrade (G3 body for $450 - or $530 with kit lens - plus tax , though I have not yet pre-ordered), here comes a new FT5 rumor!

I have the E-PL1 which I'm not planning to sell, so at least I still have IBIS. So, much faster AF, or faster-than-my-current-unit AF + EVF + relatively cheap price (that is cheap, right?) ? :confused:
  12. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    Can I ask where these prices come from? For me it's also a toss-up between the G3 and one of the new Oly cameras.
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    On my E-P1 with the original 14-42 lens the AF is quite slow, but when you mount the Panny 14-140 the AF is much faster. It's still a little bit slower than the same lens on the GH1, so both the lens and camera are influencing factors in AF speed. This is not unique to Micro Four Thirds or other CDAF mirrorless camera systems. You'd get the same thing happening in DSLR systems as well when comparing lenses and bodies of different age and/or specification.
  14. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    It's from Panasonic's Employee Purchase Program. Been reading through several webpages, and I think Panasonic has pricing tiers. If you're a Facebook fan, you can get a discount, but (again, from what I've read) the price still seems higher than the price I get. I guess I'm lucky to be employed by a big company. (Actually, forget "by a big company". These times, I'm lucky to be employed. :wink:)