1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumored E-M1 II specs

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Oct 19, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    JMHO: I don't think Olympus will come out with 4K video until they can make it work with their 5 axis IBIS.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Perhaps.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The wording is interesting. If they have to release in early 2016...then Sony 20MP sensor. But if they wait until Photokina in the fall.......still the Sony 20MP sensor or????????

High resolution mode using 20MP sensor should make for some nice still life shots. I just hope they improve AF so that 10fps is really usable for sports or wildlife.

Lets hope all the goodies from the forthcoming V4 firmware are part of the basic E-M1 II package.

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Interesting. I hope the added megapixels come with at least a proportional boost in ISO performance.

6. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    As I recall, this sensor was announced a couple months ago. I do not believe it is BSI. Can anyone confirm that?

The rumor site says the Sony Alpha7000 will be delayed until Feb & that it will have a 28-30 mpix BSI sensor. An X-trans version of the sensor will be quickly available to Fuji & also give BSI tech for the X-Pro MkII.

Having BSI sensors in 3 ILC APSC cameras would give a significant market advantage over m43 cameras until BSI arrives there too. W/o BSI, the resolution & ISO performance of a MkII M1 will I suspect be modest at best. So I wouldn't buy one. But I'm eager to own a great high ISO performing BSI sensor camera as long as I can keep the weight of my kit down. That means I could easily become a Sony A7000 owner in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    The video in the Em1 II needs to be on par with the GH4. Shoot 4k without the crop at 60fps with 5 axis.

Am I dreaming?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I hope for increased DR. And I really hope the tilting LCD is left, not a swivel one as the E-M5 MkII :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is what I am hoping for as well. I will purchasing one of the following next year: E-M1 II, GH5, or a7S II.

I would also like some small things like dual SD cards, etc.,

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I fear it'll have 4K video and a flippy screen. I could perhaps live with this if the DR and noise is notably improved.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't understand why people fear video when clearly it is a huge market. It is not like having decent 4K and codecs would make your stills look awful and a video capable camera is not going to bite you; heck, even entry level cameras have 4K and decent codec. Sadly, though, not Olympus. I would think that you would want Olympus to sell as many E-M1 II as they can and that includes video and hybrid users. Certainly Panasonic and Sony understand the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's not the 4K I'm objecting to per se - it's the flippy screen. However, I think the 4K capability will drive Olympus to fit one.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I understand the issue with the screen, I have cameras with both.

14. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    That's a big range of camera performance obviously. It seems very unlikely we will ever see any m43 camera w/ the giant pixel - hi ISO performance of the A7Sii. But I can hope. I've so fallen in love w/ night landscape photography that I'd love to see an E-M5S w/ say a 12 mpix BSI or similar sensor.

Do you want dual cards for capacity reasons or write speed? The increasing size & speed of SD cards seems to solving both w/o the increased camera size required to house 2 cards.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The next body will be primarily for video. The GH5 is the likely contender; the a7SII* is the least likely contender given my collection of m4/3's lenses. Dual cards for speed or redundancy. The current 64 and 128GB SD cards offer, at least for me, plenty of capacity.

* An a7SII with the 2 MF Loxia lenses is awfully appealing.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I know they probably won't do this, but I'd like to see a model optimized for stills and another for video.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Honestly features and updates to the sensor and etc... are always welcome...but even if they didn't change a thing...I would still upgrade for 1 key feature.

Import / exportable settings and presets. A camera this deep with so many combinations needs a writing method. Even if it had to be through their app or the olympus updater software...just some way to do this would be enormous.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Oly for still and Panny for video. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Then we'd still hear folks complain about Oly not having 4K. Maybe Oly needs to pay Panasonic and rebrand some GH4.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Galibier_Numero_Un

Galibier_Numero_Un New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2015
    I think Thom Hogan's comments get it right - firmware improvements geared toward usability. Simplifying the menus certainly wouldn't hurt. I'm glad I downloaded Greg Bloor's Oly settings spreadsheet, 'coz after the 2.0 firmware upgrade (2 years ago?), I would have really been cursing to reestablish my settings.

Cheers,
    Thom