Rumor Time: Olympus patent for FF 28 f2 lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by drd1135, Jan 14, 2016.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmmm - interesting.
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Is Pentax big enough to support 2 formats? Besides, a FF Olympus will probably allow you to use the old FF Olympus lenses.
  5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Pentax is big enough because they already have a nice system of FF lenses. Most of their primes cover a 35mm sensor for instance, and there is a large backlog of 35MM pentax K mount (both AF and MF) lenses readily available. Pentax doesn't need to be a huge company to support two systems, they already have two systems, they just haven't bothered to make a modern camera for one of them.

Olympus on the other hand, would have to develop and entirely new mount and system of lenses to bring a FF camera to the market, unless it were to share the Sony FE mount, which would be a better move if Olympus had such ambitions.

I think it would be a very interesting move if Olympus were to do lenses for a Sony system but not a camera, though I think in that case they would likely be designing the lenses for Sony to market.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Why couldn't Olympus build their FF body with the old Olympus 35mm mount - so people could use the old Oly lenses?

And Sony already have a 28mm f2 lens in the E-mount. It would be silly to make another 28/2 lens in the Sony E-mount.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    OM? No AF iirc.

Btw, I think Pentax has 4 systems: Q, APS-C, FF, MF

8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    They certainly could, but if they wanted AF lenses (and they would) they would have to design an all new lens lineup.

Certainly I agree, if I was Olympus and I wanted to make an FE lens, it wouldn't be a 28/2, but rather something missing from the current system.
  9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I wondering if Olympus is going FF using Sony sensors, about the same/little bigger bodies and larger lenses I guess, how many of us will give up on M43 and switch?

I remember many earlier threads, users state that they don't like Sony user menu, more like Olympus bodies design and features.
  10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Maybe it's for Olympus' answer to the Leca Q
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Initially i thought this might be a possibility - but if you look at the proposed physical length of 75mm that doesn't really fit with that form factor.

All in all rather curious

EDIT - just checked out the size of the Leica Q - its bigger than I thought/remembered... so the lens is not overly large for that form factor

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You're setting a bad example checking your posts against the facts.
    A fixed lens FF is an interesting idea for Olympus. They could use it as a test bed for a future FF ILC.
  13. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They should make a fixed lens medium format camera, that would be far more interesting.
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It might just be too expensive for a fixed lens camera. MF sensors are pricey and MF lenses are big.
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It would certainly set a new standard for compact cameras to compare everything against :)

The irony is most MF lenses are actually smaller than modern FF lenses...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I don't see Olympus introducing a full-frame system.

I like the idea of a fixed-lens camera with a full-frame sensor, perhaps the previously rumored digital Trip. I would expect a more normal focal length, e.g. 40mm, but Ricoh and Nikon have succeeded with their 28mm-equivalent fixed-lens compacts.

The first thought that occurred to me, though, and still the most likely to my mind, was that it's a lens for the Sony system. Sony's full-frame system is held back by its weak lens line, while Olympus's glass is strong. Isn't Sony still an investor in Olympus, so they have a strategic relationship? Olympus might even build the lens for Sony and let Sony sell it as a Sony lens.
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's been debated ad nauseum in the past, but I see getting into full-frame to be a money-losing morass that could sink the company.

That puts them square in the competitive cross-hairs with mega-companies with mega-budgets. Canon, Nikon, and Sony in particular have cubic dollars to throw at the problem. Olympus doesn't have any real competitive advantage at that point, and would have to build out a vast array of lenses using limited resources, while subsidizing the development of the cameras, which won't sell because they don't have lenses, using expensive sensors they'll need to buy off someone else. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Micro Four Thirds is differentiated from its competition already. Size, weight, and (usually) price are not approached by their larger sensor competitors, and the M4/3 simply has the best, most-complete lens line-up for any camera with a sensor smaller than 36x24mm. Better than APS-C Canon; better than APS-C Nikon; and better FF or APS-C Sony, E-mount or A-mount. Olympus has core competency in image-stabilization, Panasonic has core competency in video, both of which have been approached (but not beaten) by Sony in the ~$3000 market. Both have a commitment to modern ergonomics and interfaces that works well for photographers, in particular taking excellent advantage of touch-screens. Both have created and wholesale embraced innovative technologies like High-Res Mode, and 4K Photo features. Not to mention the enormous advantage of having 2 major companies developing product for the system.

Whether the depth of field is shallow enough for you, the resolution is high enough for you, or the grain is fine enough for you is another question, but undeniably there are a number of advantages to Micro Four Thirds that simply cannot be found in any other system, and would not easily be replicable in a fledgling Olympus FF system. A company like this cannot afford to play in its own little sandbox by itself the way Leica has with their SL system.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  18. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I don't understand this.
    The Sony FF cameras use the A-mount, which is the same and fully compatible with the old Minolta A-mount (Minolta AF).
    There's a buckload of old Minolta AF lenses floating around for cheap, which fully work on Sony cameras.
  19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The Sony A7 is FE mount not A mount. A mount lenses work with an adapter.
  20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see anything in there that confirms it is a 28mm lens for full frame. Some chicken scratch on the drawing and some hasty conclusions drawn by the blog author.