Rumor sites pros and cons

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zulfur666, Feb 5, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I been browsing those rumor sites for respective camera and manufacurers I don't want to link to them as I HATE their scams. Seems all they are after is spread some nonsense and hyperlink Affiliate links so they get paid. Wouldn't it be better for ALL camera manufacturers to release "sneak peaks" so there are controlled "rumors" and we know what to anticipate? I rather look at Olympus, Sony, Panasonic press releases then the rumor nonsense websites where who knows they get some of the BS from. More than 50% is their own promotion it seems.
    I understand we have the affiliate links as well here, but forums are more of a community in between members to exchange ideas, promote discussions etc. and well for whoever registered the domain and moderates the forum in my opinion deserves some honest affiliate money.
    JM2c... any other thoughts?
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    A lot of them do seem to be nonsense. Though I find 43rumors to be reasonably accurate. A lot of the content there is links to reviews and sales as well, so it isn't pure speculation.
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    +1. 43rumors may be the best of the lot.
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I enjoy looking at the headlines over at 43 rumors. It is fun to know what may be happening soon with some speculation thrown in.
  5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    43 Rumours I have always found to be useful - not always totally accurate, but that is to be expected with rumours. Certainly, accurate enough to be useful, and more correct than incorrect by a good margin, especially for short term rumours. There are some affiliate links, but the fellow has to make some money somehow. I have not really used other rumour sites, so cannot comment.
  6. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    So wouldn't it be better for Olympus or Panasonic and now Kodak (which is 43 standard) to release "sneak peaks" than someone running a rumor site with 50% false made up info? The leaks are either dishonest employees, or accidents during "bar talk" JMO
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    1) how does having affliate links make a site a scam? This site has affiliate links... it takes time and effort to run a web site, why shouldn't the publisher seek to recoup some of that cost?... you are not obliged to click on any of the links

2) No manufacturer wants to lose existing sales by preannouncing the next thing - it makes no business sense unless perhaps you are trying to disrupt a rivals sales.

3) leaks can come from a variety of sources, careless talk from company reps, FCC approval applications, inspired guesswork and a thousand other bits and pieces. Some companies are better at keeping things secret... Apple for one.... I was involved in major product launches where I didn't see the product until a couple of hours before launch, such was the level of secrecy.

In general the rumour sites are harmless entertainment, usually run by people with an enthusiasm for the particular brand or platform.

Its up to you to use your own mind to decide what is true and what is not

• Like Like x 3
  8. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I keep an eye on 43rumours too, but most content seems to be announcements of sales. When I first bought my m43, it was the site I constantly checked. Now it's this site. Most members are respectful and knowledgeable (I haven't seen otherwise yet). No ******s swearing up a storm and attacking people.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like going to the rumor sites, but it does seem that 43rumors sites tend to post multiple updates every day. There just aren't that many real product rumors, so you end up with a lot of rehashed stuff and promotional/affiliate links.

I may be a cynic, but I think 99.86% (approximately) of rumors are really just intentional leaks by the camera companies' PR and marketing teams (i.e. marketing/PR campaigns).
  10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Without a doubt. There's no question in my mind that 'leaks" only happen when the manufacturer wants them to. Rather than a one-day buzz when they formally announce, they get weeks of buzz via the so-called leaks.
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I think the buzz that the rumor sites creates, builds up anticipation and presence for a camera prior to the announcement. It is better than 'sneal peak' announcements from the camera manufacturers themselves which only raise more questions than answers - if a camera manufacturer announces a product launch in the future, the immediate follow up questions are when, what specs, how much. Really waiting for say the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2, which was announced at Photokina 2012, is rather tedious.

As the rumor sites act as 'free' marketing of new products prior to their actual announcement, many customers have decided whether to buy it or not prior to the actual announcement. On that basis, it would be good if the camera companies reduced the time from actual product announcement to general availability. This has happened (I think) at least with Olympus. You used to have to wait up to 2 months - now you can usually get hold of the product within a month of announcement (and perhaps quite a lot shorter in the case of the E-M10.

So I think rumor sites - especially a dedicated rumor site like 43rumors - provides a service for some customers and for the camera manufacturers (whether they are the actual source of the leak or not.) That is the basis for a potentially profitable business so I am very happy for them to monetize the site. I also think that say 43rumors acts a sort of 'filter' on the internet 'noise' that surrounds a company's potential products - as there is at least an attempt to verify the rumors - this is better than people making up rumors about say new wonder sensors that then go viral on the internet.
  12. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've never had a problem with 43rumors (except the spelling...).

They post a lot of non-rumours stuff (including links to pretty much all the relevent reviews and official announcements, plus a head of user's work), and in my experience if they list something as 'FT5' (and often FT4) it's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Besides, it's fun to speculate. This isn't life and death.

Of course, if you're looking at their FT1/2/3 content and saying 'hey, that didn't happen!' then of course you're going to be disappointed, but thats not really their fault is it? As for the affiliate links, as others have mentioned, something's got to pay the bills.