1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor: Panasonic GH3 to Lose the "SLR Hump"?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is a rumor coming from a new source, so take it with a large grain of salt.

I've been contacted by a reader who claims to have seen the Panasonic GH3 and is stating that the new model has done away with the "SLR Hump", adopting a "boxy body similar to the new GX1 but a touch larger with EVF and articulated LCD".

6356898305_81e2103b77.
    This is not the real GH3, just a quick Photochop by me, based on the rumor

Interestingly, the price on the GH2 14-140mm lens kit has just dropped by $300 to $1199, while the price on the GH2 14-42mm lens kit has dropped by $200 to $799. The GH2 has been out for more than a year now, so the price drops might be a sign of things to come.

No offense to our new source, but I'm rating this rumor as unlikely. Methinks someone at Panasonic really likes the hump. After all, people have been asking for a hump-less camera with integrated EVF ever since the G1 was introduced. Regardless, there will be no GH3 this year.

Rumor Grade: C-

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

• Like Like x 5
  2. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    If it looks like that... I am somewhat interested XD

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Ha maybe they will give us what we want..eventually. And at a premium price. But sounds like no announcement til next September? Geez no point waiting for that guy..

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic should keep the DSLR form factor, but make it a real DSLR with weather sealing and a magnesium alloy chassis.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hump, be gone!

6. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    ...and so the differentiation between the GF3 and the GX1 will be?...the EVF and....?

7. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    Agreed.

I would also hate to lose the handgrip and its forward positioned shutter button.

If Panasonic were to forsake the DSLR form factor that would probably be the end of m4/3 for me. I hope they continue with both body styles.

8. jeffharris

jeffharris New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2011
    New York City
    Poppycock!

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If that's really what it's going to look like, count me out. It's lost all the left side, top panel controls, which means digging into the menus for routine adjustments. And the grip is way too small to be useful. One of the great things about the GH2 is it's ergos Your mock-up shows exactly what's wrong with the RF style body that so many here are in love with.

Aside from that, I think the scale is way off. The hump on the GH2 isn't empty space. Putting the EVF, flash, and stereo mics elsewhere would make the body considerably larger than your mockup.

I could see something like that as a GX2, like a GX1 with an EVF, but not as a replacement for the GH2. But I think the reality is that the RF lovers keep making up rumors like this in hopes they'll come true.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    that mock up seems like the EVF would be pretty small. No like.

But this general form factor... very much liked =) though, to be honest, it doesn't matter. I'd much rather panasonic keep the GH2 body style and focus on getting us an electronic shutter and continue improving the sensor/processing.

Better yet, make this the GX2.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    coming from a guy who doesn't like the mini-DSLR form in general, I say KEEP the hump. They should have a range of different forms for all the different shooters. Also a big, proper grip is nice for bigger lenses.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I want the GH3 be a little cube with a nice 3" flip/twist touchscreen, XLR inputs, real audio monitoring, and lots of connections and external controls for video. Like a mini AF100 or mini-Red.

13. I would say to keep the current GH shape virtually as it is, except...dump the hump. It's only where it is now to fit the current super-size EVF and to re-assure you that the camera is "just like a DSLR". It is a design throwback for familiarity's sake.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This is what I figured Panasonic would do. If they can get rid of the hump in a camera, instead of keeping the designation in their rangefinder style line, they will keep it in the upper model line, just to make more money off of it. New sensor, no EVF hump, a few other goodies = 1000+ USD price tag.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    This smacks of wishful thinking.

What's the point of having the GX1 as their higher-end enthusiast model if they're going to make a slightly larger one with an EVF and flip LCD?

The GH2 design is fine.

What would be nice is if they pushed the GX1 more in the direction of a modular camera. Make the LCD removable - so you can have either a fixed one, or an articulating one. Give an option for a largish grip, like the Leica X1 has.

Then you have a camera that can be used with the upcoming 35-100 (grip, EVF, flip LCD) and one that can sit in your jacket pocket with the 20/1.7 pancake (lose the grip, the EVF and the larger LCD).

Best of both worlds.

DH

16. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    I have no problem with the "hump" design, but that does look pretty cool.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But the super-size EVF is one of the great things about the GH2. I have zero interest in squinting through a tiny little viewfinder. I just don't comprehend that you're willing to trade away functionality for the sake of style.

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Maybe they should GROW the hump. How about the largest viewfinder of ANY camera? I LOVE big viewfinders. Take the size of the current viewfinder and DOUBLE it!

19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    And some spinning rims for smooth video

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

20. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I love the SLR hump on my GH2. Take your hands off it, Panasonic!