Rumor: Panasonic G3 Coming in Early to Mid May

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Both 43 Rumors and Photo Rumors are citing "reliable" sources that Panasonic will be announcing a G3 camera in May of this year. 43 Rumors is claiming May 11 and Photo Rumors May 12.

With the relatively short product cycles we are seeing, it seems unlikely that there will be massive changes with the new model, although 43 Rumors cites sources that the G3 will have a new 16MP sensor and a smaller form factor than the G2. Both of those changes will be welcome depending on the implementation.

From a sensor standpoint, we've now seen the same sensor (with minor differences in anti-aliasing filter) in all Micro 4/3 cameras other than the GH1 and GH2. We are due for a sensor upgrade, and it is likely this new sensor will make its way into all upcoming Olympus and Panasonic cameras other than the GH line.

In terms of a smaller form factor, one wonders whether the G3 will be to the G2 what the GF2 was to the GF1, and indeed 43 Rumors suggests that this may be the case: some physical controls removed in exchange for a more compact form and a user interface more likely to appeal to those moving up from a "point and shoot" camera.

Note: Links in this post may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links benefit the site.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    If this is true, it would not appeal at all to me - I like all the buttons and wheels and knobs I can get and love the G1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree.

I would say though, that they could make it somewhat smaller and retain the manual controls and still add touch-screen. I know I am just being optimistic...
  4. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I am satisfied with what I have and would not like a smaller one. My wife feels the same, so we will keep to the G1
  5. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree - the size of the G1 is just right and I especially like the fact that it doesn't have a touch screen, which no doubt I would inadvertently touch at the wrong time.
  6. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Maybe Panasonic are following the path of Apple and only major upgrading every other cycle.
    I've been waiting for news on the G3 but any omission of a viewfinder will put me off. Im hoping they don't make the GH's the main camera and turn the G and GF models into general market high end compacts.
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I applaud the possibility of a G3 being a G2 with all the lessons learned in miniaturising the GF1 to GF2 : that one is remarkably compact.
    We can hope they have a sensible integral EVF design.
    What I'd like to see are some nice colours too ...
  8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    A new, bigger sensor is welcome, and I don't have any problem with a new design as I'm no particular fan of the miniature DSLR / bridge camera look.

The rumour is for something that looks similar to an Samsung NX10, with presumably a less pronounced grip.

Panasonic seem to have a reluctance to go for anything radical or retro, so I'm imaging a quite conservative camera design, not totally dissimilar to what we have already. They like touchscreen so I think we'll see more of that.

I still get the impression that Panasonic are struggling with what cameras to pitch to which markets. It seems the GF2 is a success, certainly from Japanese sale figures, so they may be tempted to follow that route, and they will obviously go the way they think they will get most sales. What they do for the enthusiast / hobbyist / professional market I really don't think they know. The G2 and G10 don't seem to have been particularly successful, and have been withdrawn fairly quickly. What do they do with all the people who complained about the GF1 not being followed through with the GF2? Do they consider doing a Fuji?

We can all say what we want, and since that involves a great many different choices, the probability is that none of us gets our dream camera, so we have to decide whether we can work with whats on offer. I'm pretty happy with what Panasonic put inside their m4/3 cameras, and also the way they lay them out, but less happy with how they make them look and feel in use.

There's no denying aesthetics and design matter, the X100 surely proves that. Whether Panasonic have the desire to think seriously about that is open to question. Particularly in the light of just how difficult its going to be for them in the next few months. Just keeping going and getting cameras out the door is probably their biggest concern. However the world keeps going, people keep on buying cameras and product cycles keep coming round, so they probably feel obligated to offer some kind of refreshment to their range.

A new sensor would benefit Olympus too, and I hope they continue what they started with the Pens, though personally I would like to see a far more straightforward menu and control layout and a sensor output that comes closer to what Panasonic produce.

Different strokes as ever. However at this moment in time I can't really see anything dramatically different coming out and also suspect a G3 may not be in the shops anytime soon, because of the problems they are dealing with. To be honest if they had said, no more new products this year, I wouldn't have been surprised. In reality that may be the case.
  9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Pany Rep in Toronto today said 'don't hold your breath'... last month's natural disaster in Japan hasn't really made itself totally felt yet.. their factories are not running well, if at all, due to huge supply chain problems associated with lack of parts from all over. We may not see much from Pany at all this year. The Rep said he hasn't heard ANYTHING and these guys usually know months in advance.

Anyone notice the price of all things Japanese are starting to rise? Anybody watching the price of the rarer of Pany micro-associated lenses going through the roof on eBay? PL 25/1.4s' are now asking $1900 and change new....

There isn't much out there. I am trying to buy some stuff before it is gone.... I just scored a mint PL 25 for $845 in Edmonton which I dug up in an obscure advert in a local Kijijii page... give this another month and see what it looks like.

Bokeh Diem