1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor: Panasonic 12-50mm f/2.5-3.3 and Olympus Pro Lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The rumored Panasonic 24-100mm equivalent lens, faster than currently available standard zooms, would be a very welcome piece of kit for the Micro Four Thirds system. The rumor also speaks of 3 pro lenses coming from Olympus and refers to a Q2 2011 timeframe.

Source: DSLR Magazine via 1001 Noisy Cameras

Additional coverage at 43 Rumors

• Like Like x 1
  2. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Exciting stuff, I wish I wasn't in school now!

3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I am looking forward to a 12-50 lens...
    This is a really good zoom range for 90% of walk about photography.
    The 25/1.4 is interesting, but I have a 28/2 I can adapt for a fast normal...
    Hope the 12-50 is around $699.00, But, more like $899.00 - $999.00 I'll bet... Still, though, it optimized for Video in IQ and AF motor. Maybe a "Vario" Leitz design :2thumbs:

4. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    This new lens it's really interesting, but I can't understand why I have to pay for a :43: lens the same (or even more) of a DX/APS-C one... I try to explain: the Nikkor 55-200VR costs about 250€, the Pana 45-200 about 100€ more, but lenses for :43: should not be less expensive (more compact, smaller glasses, etc...)?

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Some of it has to do with the scale of production. Nikon probably sell more than 100 of their 55-200 VR lens for every Panasonic 45-200 sold.

Panasonic lenses at the retail level (and to a sligtly lesser extent Olympus lenses) are overpriced. There is a lack of alterative 3-rd party lenses in MFT with Voigtlander offering a single lens, and Noctor offering a modified cine lens in MFT mount. Sigma make lenses for Four Thirds, why nothing for MFT? I would think that MFT now outsells Four Thirds.

Ideally, lenses for MFT should be designed for that mount to take advantage of the smaller size. That doesn't mean slow lenses but if Sigma were to put a MFT mount on their enormous 20mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4 lenses, it would hardly be a happy handling marriage on a MFT camera.

Anyway, I hope that this rumour about the 12-50 comes true, that it isn't too big nor too expensive. A sub $1k price would be nice but the pricing of Panasonic premium lenses in the past has been terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Focal length is fantastic. I kinda wish it were faster, though.

I am super excited to see how big it turns out to be. If they can do what they did with the 7-14, I think it will be amazing. I would have to think that no matter how big it turns out, it will still be smaller than any other option with similar focal length and aperture range.

All you people thinking it's going to be <$1000 USD need to lay down the crack pipe and slowly back away. The only lenses (other than the 20/1.7) that should be close to this in terms of performance are all in the $1000 range. I just hope it doesn't come in at $2000+ like the Oly SHG stuff. Of course, if I'm going to pay over $1000 for a lens, there can't be any excuses in image quality.

I hope their design criteria is "flagship" performance and the engineers haven't been too crippled by the marketing guys telling them to keep it small, light, and cheap - we have plenty of options within those criteria already. (NOTE: this does not mean I hope the lens is huge. It means I hope they design it from an image quality standpoint keeping the size reasonable instead of shortcutting image quality or brightness just to keep it small)

Unless they really fall on their face, or the price is >$2000, I will be buying one.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    But all of their premium lenses have been VERY good also.

Priced anything in white with an "L" on it lately?

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have a feeling, because of OIS, it will be pricier and larger than I think I want. We'll just have to wait and see. I think we will start to see some better lenses in the future.

9. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, i believe we will see some better lens, and i for one think it will be from Guess Who?

Yup, your right it will be Voigtlander. With Mr Kobiashia and his perchance for smaller rangefinders and lens, And given that his company Cosina is now a full flegged member of Mu43 MFG's and given that he has already produced one of the finest lens designed for M43 in the Nokton 25mm F.95 , it's just a matter of time before we see more M43 lens from him.

My guess is that since he has joined OLY, & PANA into the M43 Camp, his next len's will have Electrical contacts like his 58mm 1.4 Voigtlander in "F" mount but in M43 mount , and since he can now design the len's for M43 they will be superb like his Voigtlander/ Leica mount len's.

My guess is his next lens will be a 17 or 18mm f1.4, giving us a 35mm EFOV on M43, with electrical contacts.
    Of course I am just guessing here!!. What do you guys think?

Dennis.

10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    That's another great lens and one I would like to see in MFT mount. If I didn't already have 50mm covered for my D90, that would be on the shopping list.

I expect you are right but I would like to see something wider, maybe a 12 to 14mm at around f/2 or faster.

11. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    A 12mm f2.0 from Voigtlander if designed well for u4/3 would be nice..

I fear the fast 12-50mm from Panasonic will cost a mint especially in Australia where Panasonic prices are at least double importing from bhphoto (or more).. Hope the aussie stays up until this is released... lol...

12. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    That Pentax rumour looks interesting.

13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    There have been rumors about Pentax for a while based on patents filed. Unfortunately companies file patents for many things that never see the light of day.

A an old Pentax aficionado I would love to see Pentax enter the game. Canon and Nikon own the US market and I feel the best way to break that stranglehold would be for many of the lower tier players to get together behind m43.

14. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, Joel, would also like to see the 12mm, also 10mm 14mm and a nice 40 to 45, 85-90mm(EFOV) in MF , f1.8 lens for portraits, as that and 21mm are my Favorite FL len's. I believe MR. Kobiashi will really get behind the Mu43 lens line up. In his Voigtlander/M line he now has a full compliment of lens, from 12mm up. So would expect him to do the same for us who like Mu43 bodies. They should also be able to be smaller and lighter, even in that nice heavy metal he works with, than his V/M line of lens.

More competition will lower the cost and increase the quality, of the mu43 len's. If nikon can sell a 50mm 1.8 lens for $199.00 dollars we should not be paying $325-to $375 for a panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens. Yes there is Nikons economy of scale , but..... come on Pany, and Oly.!!!

Really, can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Come on MR K. bring em on.:2thumbs:
    Dennis.

15. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Count yourself lucky, the Nikon costs the same as that here in Australia but the Panasonic 20/1.7 is around US$740... ABSOLUTE INSANITY PANASONIC... The situation is much the same for all Panasonic u4/3 gear in Australia. I bought the 45-200mm from Taiwan over ebay (new boxed) and it was three times cheaper than buying it here (bhphoto was a similar price but shipping ruined it on a cheaper lens).. I intend to buy the 45mm macro from bhphoto which will cost me about $775 with express post to Australia, locally it is about $1,500..

If I didn't import myself I would never would have thought of buying into u4/3 here, no wonder I have never seen another Panasonic u4/3 shooter here.. Olympus isn't perfect but the Australian markup isn't as bad, hence I have seen some Olympus u4/3 shooters around..

/rant :frown:

Voigtlander is very well priced here, actually the 75/2.5 from the official distributor here cost me less than if I got it from CameraQuest.. So that's one positive, bring on the Voigtlander lenses...

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A good quality 12-50/2.5-3.3 would be great. In fact this and a fast portrait lens would be just what m4/3 needs to remain competitive.

4/3 has the best standard zoom available in terms of range and quality of any system in the 12-60. A similarly high-quality m4/3 offering, even if it cost as much as the Olympus 12-60, would pave the way for high-end m4/3 and convince many serious amateurs to look seriously at the system.

Of course, if this year passes and Olympus and Panasonic do not start offering more wide aperture lenses (particularly zooms), then they will cede a lot of momentum to whoever else who does (likely Sony or Samsung).

Cheers,

DH