1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor on Reason for 300mm Pro Delay

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lcrunyon, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Saw this on the 4/3 Rumors site (http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus-300mm-f4-0-lens/)...

Olympus considers to make the new 300mm f/4 PRO lens with OIS, to complement IBIS in Olympus bodies (which is less effective at really long focal lengths) and also be attractive for Panasonic users.
    I know, it is the first for Olympus, but then it is going to be very specialized, and they have decided than without Panasonic user market it would not have enough sales to pay to its development, and that was the cause of its delay.
    Lens construction is 17 elements in 10 groups, 2 SuperED elements, internal focusing.

Only ascribed a 41-60% chance to be true (so, 50/50... take it for what it is...), but if it is, enhanced stabilization as well as sharpness to hopefully at least equal the other Pro lenses would would be very interesting for hand-held use. I wonder what the impact would be on weight and cost, though.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    OIS can't stabilize rolling. I wonder if they enable both OIS and IBIS for this lens.

3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    That's what they seemed to be implying, for Olympus bodies at least.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The last thing I want is lens based stabilization again. Had that in 35mm DSLR systems. I don't want the cost, product release delay, weight, or complication of OIS. No need. When I shot the Pany 100-600 I turned it off in the lens.

When using something in the range of 300mm (600mm 35mm FF equivalent) you need to be on a tripod, monopod, beanbag or other reasonably stable surface if at all possible.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Good for you, but I'm not too sure this is your choice to make...

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Seventeen elements in ten groups sounds like huge overkill for a 300m prime!
    Sounds not right to me.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Adding OIS to a previous non-OIS design is not a minor mod. I very much doubt that any delay is down to such a fundamental change of tack. It's much more likely that any delay is down to tooling up for production and fixing any production inefficiencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I definitely don't buy this rumor. IBIS works great with my 300/2.8. I can hand hold down to 1/320, and probably lower if I ever tried. That's with or without the addition of the 1.4x tc. I'd love to know why they seem to have delayed the lens, but I really don't believe for a moment that this is the answer.

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The purchase decision is totally my choice to make. ;)

10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Impact in adding VR in lens will probably not impact on weight and cost though as most Japanese companies had already factored in the price of the lens before start of design phase and tooling. Adding VR in a 300mm prime PRO lens is a good idea and hopefully a very advanced one. The latest VR that are in the Nikon 400 f/2.8 FL VR is a multi-axis version that provides smooth panning via their so called Sport VR. Most of Nikon's long lenses will be getting these enhancements on their next model releases. Unlike the VR on lenses you've used in the past, the newer multi-axis VR that are on the $5000 to $8000 lenses behave just like our OMD IBIS. Very smooth and stable and impressively stable.. I had a chance to use such a beast last year at FIFA Men's World cup and the stability with a D4s is amazing. The only advantage I see having OIS built into the lens is maximum frame rate. If you have IBIS on, you can not achieve maximum frame rate. Good for sport shooters, a crowd that would benefit more from OIS in the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In lens stabilization is probably a nod to users of Panasonic bodies. It will increase the number of potential buyers. This lens will sell in very small numbers and Olympus needs all the buyers then can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Just an update. This rumor was debunked by the very reliable source 'Simon' at 43rumors. He mentioned that the lens is already in production with assembly starting in September. This is based on the design that was posted earlier this year at Olympus' web site (ie. non-OIS lens)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    For sharp images with big lenses you need some sort of support and fast shutter speeds. At 600mm effective I don't want to be under 1/1000 stabilization or not. Pretty hard to get sharp images otherwise (IMO) and this is with the IS set at 300 manually to make sure (rather than letting the body pick based on the lens info).

full.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Uh? I am almost positive that the focal length selection for IBIS is only used when a lens that does not communicate the information is used. So you setting it manually is doing nothing for you. Before I hit reply I just tested this and the manual setting does nothing if you have a µ4/3 or 4/3 lens attached.

15. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Interesting I have never tested it I thought for a 4/3 lens you had to set it manually.

16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope, lens communicates the info to the camera just like the µ4/3 lenses do. Had my 150 with EC-20 and no matter what I set it at it acted the exact same way. Now when I forget to switch it going from my FD 400mm to my fisheye or the other way, you notice it right away.

17. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    OK somewhere I read with 4/3 you had to set it. Cool - good to know.

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    uhm, sorry, but what do you mean rolling?

did you mean the motion effect from electronic shutter?

just wondering

19. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    No, rolling as in the 5th axis, OIS can't correct for it, because no matter how you rotate a lens element along the lens' axis, the picture is the same. You can, however, rotate the sensor to correct for roll. See the purple arrow in front of the lens:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    ahh ... got it. Thanks.

Nice picture graphic too :)

• Like Like x 1