Rumor: Olympus E-P5 to Have No Integrated Viewfinder and Price Close to $1000

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    43 Rumors is citing reliable sources in stating that the Olympus PEN E-P5 will be announced soon, has no integrated eye-level viewfinder, and will have a price close to $1000.

Although disappointing to many, there's no surprise here given that all prior E-PX cameras have been introduced with no integrated eye-level viewfinder and a price close to $1000. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the Olympus PEN E-P7 will have no integrated eye-level viewfinder and will have a price close to $1000 :wink:.

Of course assuming the rumor is true, the question is why Olympus isn't putting a viewfinder in this line of cameras. Here are some possible reasons:

1) To differentiate the PEN line from the OM-D line and keep costs down.

2) To allow for a large rear display without requiring a hump for the viewfinder. A large rear display works nicely with touch controls, and cameras like the NEX-7 which are hump-less and have an EVF have been forced to adopt a smaller rear display.

3) To allow for use of a larger, vari-angle, optional electronic viewfinder whch is more capable than could have been integrated in the camera.

4) Because Olympus believes that most people actually have no interest in using an eye-level viewfinder despite the fact that a group of people have been clamoring for one ever since the E-P1.

Of the above reasons, #2 is a compelling one to me. However, I am disappointed for the many members who want a "rangefinder-styled" (hump-less) Micro 4/3 camera with an integrated EVF. Surely there must be a market for such a camera.

Our members are discussing this rumor here:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting rumor.

Amin, I would have to think that, if the rumor is true, your #1 above is the main reason. I know we have threads about this already, but it is still hard for me to figure out how you would slot an E-P5, with built in viewfinder, in between the E-M5 and E-PL5 in the product line. The only differentiators would be weather-sealing and styling.

On the tilt-screen, I hope Oly figures out a way to make it flush with the body and not spoil the solid feel of the previous E-Px bodies.
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I wouldn't be shocked if they basically do an updated equivalent of an EP3 with the new sensor and maybe a few other tweaks. Its tough to say that the tilting screen is a lower end feature when its on the flagship OMD, but it does create a bit of bulk. And the EP1, 2, and 3 seemed to do pretty well without it. There's something just really nice about the handling of the EP series with the dual control wheels, the size and heft of the body, etc... There may be less of a market for it now that the OMD exists above and the EPL5 is awfully good just below, but it doesn't surprise me that they'd do one more to see just how much of a market for it there still is. Since I have an OMD and EPL5 and since I consider the flip screen a near necessity, I wouldn't be in the market for one, but it makes me mildly sad that I wouldn't be. Because I've spent a LOT of time with both an EP2 and EP3 and loved both of them. Not a damn thing wrong with either of them and an awful lot right...

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.