Rumor New major OMD camera announcement in early 2019?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I was reading one of the Olympus patents that got approved last week. Something about increasing dynamic range by allowing for different exposure times within a pixel in a single shot controlled by the processor. Sort of an AI shutter.

US Patent for Imaging device which generates a high-dynamic-range image using an imaging element in which pixel groups are controlled to have different exposure periods Patent (Patent # 10,104,305 issued October 16, 2018) - Justia Patents Search

There are a flood of Olympus patents out there approved yesterday too. One was to allow for the sensor to detect an objects movement (blur) on the sensor itself and correct for it actively.
Now that would be worth having.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I was reading one of the Olympus patents that got approved last week. Something about increasing dynamic range by allowing for different exposure times within a pixel in a single shot controlled by the processor. Sort of an AI shutter.

US Patent for Imaging device which generates a high-dynamic-range image using an imaging element in which pixel groups are controlled to have different exposure periods Patent (Patent # 10,104,305 issued October 16, 2018) - Justia Patents Search

There are a flood of Olympus patents out there approved yesterday too. One was to allow for the sensor to detect an objects movement (blur) on the sensor itself and correct for it actively.
Mmmmm.... and what about the Insertion Device? I'm just glad I was asleep when I was last 'inserted' with a camera. o_O

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Yes, similar to E-M1 Mk II sequential shooting, but not the same as Pro (pre) Capture though. The beauty of ProCapture is to be able to half hold the shutter button while it is recording images into the buffer & then saves a preset number of frames prior to fully pressing the shutter button as well as another preset amount after (so long as the button is pressed long enough). That is the advantage of the E-M1 Mk II over the G9, & a good one as far as I'm concerned. The following is copied from here. Olympus - Olympus Australia
Pro Capture

000084693.jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pro Capture is a new feature that provides time-lag-free shooting so you can capture the precise, desired moment. The camera begins recording 20M images once the shutter button is half-pressed, and retains up to 14 of the most recent images when the shutter button is full-pressed. By capturing moments just prior to when the shutter is released, Pro Capture makes up for time lag caused by human reflexes and camera processing.
*When in Pro Capture mode, slower shutter speeds and flash cannot be used.
*In Pro Capture Sequential L, the minimum aperture is f/8.
*Pro Capture can be used when an Olympus Micro Four Thirds lens is attached.

000085658.jpg.jpg

upload_2018-10-25_21-21-40.png

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
That Pro Capture looks like a brilliant function for people taking pictures of their kids playing or doing sports etc along with wildlife and sports shooters and so on. Are you able to save the entire burst to card? as that would be a superb function enabling say the stages of a child splashing in a puddle and printing out in a grid form.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
That Pro Capture looks like a brilliant function for people taking pictures of their kids playing or doing sports etc along with wildlife and sports shooters and so on. Are you able to save the entire burst to card? as that would be a superb function enabling say the stages of a child splashing in a puddle and printing out in a grid form.
It still does have its limitations though. Being focussed on the desired subject is still up to the operator to get it right. ;)

Yes, raw & JPEG are all saved for the selected preset number of frames before & after pressing the shutter button.
This is a screen shot from the 'specs' page. Olympus - Olympus Australia
upload_2018-10-25_21-48-56.png

Last edited:

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
not to sound condescending
But.....It's funny how Panny Fanboys still make statements Like "the G9 is better than the EM1.2 in every way"
Or "the "Procapture" only works with certain lens"..........LOL
(If i was Olympus and came out with an awesome feature like pro-capture I would only make it work with OLY lenses also)

There's a guy on Youtube that tried to denounce the EM1.2 over the G9 in Specs
But the only thing he could Prove was that the G9 had better quality Video functionality
which strikes me as funny since Panny made the G9 as a "Come back" to the EM1.2
and as a "STILLS" camera not a video camera

I wish people would do their research before they just believe the Hype they see on Youtube :-(

So sorry Panny
After this March you will be struggling to keep up with Olympus yet again...................LOL

#OLYMPUSROCKS

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
It's funny how Panny Fanboys still make statements Like "the G9 is better than the EM1.2 in every way"
(If i was Olympus and came out with an awesome feature like pro-capture I would only make it work with OLY lenses also)

There's a guy on Youtube that tried to denounce the EM1.2 over the G9 in Specs
But the only thing he could Prove was that the G9 had better quality Video functionality
which strikes me as funny since Panny made the G9 as a "Come back" to the EM1.2
and as a "STILLS" camera not a video camera

I wish people would do their research before they just believe the Hype they see on Youtube :-(

So sorry Panny
After this March you will be struggling to keep up with Olympus yet again...................LOL

#OLYMPUSROCKS
To be fair though, Olympus extended the use with other lenses for Pro Capture in a later firmware update.
Ver.2.0
(Feb. 28 2018) Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.

inthecage

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M Ferencz
Olympus isn't releasing info about the price of a non-existant camera. People that have seen info on the specs are unable to speak of them so they are guessing on price.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, similar to E-M1 Mk II sequential shooting, but not the same as Pro (pre) Capture though. The beauty of ProCapture is to be able to half hold the shutter button while it is recording images into the buffer & then saves a preset number of frames prior to fully pressing the shutter button as well as another preset amount after (so long as the button is pressed long enough). That is the advantage of the E-M1 Mk II over the G9, & a good one as far as I'm concerned. The following is copied from here. Olympus - Olympus Australia
Pro Capture

View attachment 690071
Pro Capture is a new feature that provides time-lag-free shooting so you can capture the precise, desired moment. The camera begins recording 20M images once the shutter button is half-pressed, and retains up to 14 of the most recent images when the shutter button is full-pressed. By capturing moments just prior to when the shutter is released, Pro Capture makes up for time lag caused by human reflexes and camera processing.
*When in Pro Capture mode, slower shutter speeds and flash cannot be used.
*In Pro Capture Sequential L, the minimum aperture is f/8.
*Pro Capture can be used when an Olympus Micro Four Thirds lens is attached.

View attachment 690072

View attachment 690070

The 6k pre burst feature captures 1 second of 18mp images (30 fps) before and after the shutter is pressed. It is a very similar feature, making it moot IMO.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Here's the timeline on these features:

1) Panasonic releases the GH4 with 4K Photo "Pre-Burst" in 2014, capturing a stream of images before and after the shutter is pressed. The feature has potential, but the output of just 8MP compressed JPEGs give it limited appeal.
2) Roughly 2 years later, Olympus releases the E-M1 II with "Pro Capture." This is Panasonic's Pre-Burst, but with full-resolution 20MP RAW files. This vastly expands the usability of the feature, but Olympus restricts it only to native Olympus Micro Four Thirds lenses.
3) Roughly 1 year after the E-M1 II, Panasonic releases the G9. In addition to 6K Photo modes, it also has a Pre-Burst mode that captures full-resolution 20MP RAW files, just like Pro Capture. However, it works with all lenses - native, adapted, Panasonic, Olympus, or anyone else - so it leapfrogs the functionality of Pro-Capture.
4) 2 months after the release of the G9, Olympus releases Firmware 2.0 for the E-M1 II, expanding the ability to use Pro-Capture to any Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds lens. This still means it does not function with 3rd party adapted lenses, so the G9 still has a leg up as of this moment, but it was clear that Olympus' arbitrary restriction was not really tenable from a competitive market standpoint.

Clearly both brands have been innovative contributors to this technology, and the competition is raising the standard for its capabilities all across the board. To suggest anything otherwise is silly.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Here's the timeline on these features:

1) Panasonic releases the GH4 with 4K Photo "Pre-Burst" in 2014, capturing a stream of images before and after the shutter is pressed. The feature has potential, but the output of just 8MP compressed JPEGs give it limited appeal.
2) Roughly 2 years later, Olympus releases the E-M1 II with "Pro Capture." This is Panasonic's Pre-Burst, but with full-resolution 20MP RAW files. This vastly expands the usability of the feature, but Olympus restricts it only to native Olympus Micro Four Thirds lenses.
3) Roughly 1 year after the E-M1 II, Panasonic releases the G9. In addition to 6K Photo modes, it also has a Pre-Burst mode that captures full-resolution 20MP RAW files, just like Pro Capture. However, it works with all lenses - native, adapted, Panasonic, Olympus, or anyone else - so it leapfrogs the functionality of Pro-Capture.
4) 2 months after the release of the G9, Olympus releases Firmware 2.0 for the E-M1 II, expanding the ability to use Pro-Capture to any Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds lens. This still means it does not function with 3rd party adapted lenses, so the G9 still has a leg up as of this moment, but it was clear that Olympus' arbitrary restriction was not really tenable from a competitive market standpoint.

Clearly both brands have been innovative contributors to this technology, and the competition is raising the standard for its capabilities all across the board. To suggest anything otherwise is silly.
Thanks. I was trying to find details for that on the G9. Can you give us a link for that information please. I can only find 6K/4K pre-burst photo. That does not seem to be raw file but just 18MP jpeg.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend

Except this is a feature that has nothing to do with the lens attached. It is a feature that simply starts recording the scene before your press the shutter fully which simply marks the frame saved when you tried to capture the moment. The lens is already focused and is not doing anything. So you could potentially use this feature with old manual operated OM lenses if only Oly didn't arbitrarily restrict the function.

but it was clear that Olympus' arbitrary restriction was not really tenable from a competitive market standpoint.

Agreed. Using the lens manufacturer as a "key" to turn on a function that has nothing to do with the lens is stupid. Much like they used to do back in the old days of SmartMedia and xD cards where the cameras has built in panorama functionality but you could only use that function if you were using an Oly branded media card that simply acted as a key to unlock that fixture. Many of us resented Oly for holding us hostage to buy their overpriced cards for that one function and initially we opted instead for software panorama stitching options and later some people figured out how to hack flash cards to rewrite the single line of text in the "static" section on a card to make it appear as a real Oly branded card. I still have a couple of those hacked SmartMedia cards for my old Oly C-2020z.

Latest threads

Top Bottom