Rumor: Meet the Olympus E-M5 (OM-D)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    February 4 Update: 43 Rumors posted leaked images from Amazon.co.jp (shows front and back of the camera including optional grip) and an unnamed Polish forum (shows man holding the blurred out camera to give a sense of the size:

As many of you have seen, someone (most likely Olympus) has been leaking - a slow, steady drip kind of leak - cropped bits of photos of the upcoming OM-styled Olympus Micro 4/3 camera, which is by all accounts going to be called the E-M5.

Various folks have been creating Photoshop composites of the leaked crops to try and demonstrate how the camera will actually look. The best I've come across, shown below, is one I found while hunting through the OMuser forums and comes from this blog.

6810363469_907189fd7f_o.
    Source: rashbre central: Olympus OM-D

From what I could gather, the image above is not a real ad or a real picture of the camera but rather a fan creation. However, I expect the real thing won't be far off from what we see here.

Additional widely-reported details for those who don't follow the rumor mill:
    • 16MP sensor (first Olympus MFT camera to part ways with the E-P1 sensor)
    • Integrated EVF
    • Articulated LCD (unclear whether fully articulated vs flip-style)
    • Weather sealing
    • Fast AF and high burst rate

This has to be one of the most leaked cameras ever. According to Photorumors.com, the official announcement will be on February 8.

• Like Like x 10
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks, Amin!

I was starting to get a little tired of all the photo leaks, but this PP creation is stirring my interest again.

If it has the tilting EVF as rumored and is the size of an E-P3 plus the slight EVF hump, it could be a VERY attractive proposition!

3. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    That looks quite sexy!

4. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

That looks really good!

Hmm... based on the images so far, is there a built-in flash?

5. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    From the photos released so far, I don't see where there'd be room. The 43rumours fellow has explicitly said that there will be no pop-up flash.

I can't decide if the information leaked so far makes me want the E-M5 or an E-P5* more! Maybe the E-PX series is essentially being replaced by the OM-D series, and the digital PEN cameras will focus on differentiating the PEN Lite and PEN Mini cameras?

*Assuming Olympus avoids using "4" to describe a model

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This looks really sexy!

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hmm, it would be an interisting move if they went back to no popup flash. Even the E-P3 was upgraded with one. I know in the past the E-P 1 and 2 had no built in flash but every other micro four thirds camera then and now has had some sort of popup flash packed in there somewhere.
    Can anyone tell me if there are any digital cameras being produced today that do not have a built in flash and what are they?

8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think this is a real shot. Usually in CMYK printing to get what is called 'rich black' the colors end up looking a bit strange on screen as this does. Very excited!

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, the EPL3 and EPM1 to name two current Olympus models. They come with little flash attachments, but nothing built into the camera...

Same with all of the Nex models up to the Nex 7, which I think does have a pop up flash...

-Ray

10. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I believe the new Fuji X-Pro 1 has an external flash as well :)

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Ahh... I see, thanks. I haven't payed attention to the E-PM models that came out in the past year. Just looked them up. Also, yea that's right , i forgot about the New Fuji camera. But the trend to leave the flash off new cameras this past year, well that makes more sense. Seeing as how fill flashes can be made so small. And as long as they do make at-least one of them compact and real cheep for these cameras, I think its a smart Idea. It would keep the camera size and weight down and the photographer can pull out a lill flash from his pocket if needed. and I'm sure they will have off camera cables for all soon. I like how a flash can draw power from the camera too to keep it small.. Something else Minolta did first, back in the eighty's I believe.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    No flash also positions the E-P3 to continue as a viable model slightly under this new model. Gotta pay for the E-P3's R&D for a little while longer!

13. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Flash is nice, but M43rumors suggested a new FL600-R model is coming out too. I haven't seen much about the FL300-R other than a few positive Amazon reviews, but a compact portable external flash isn't a bad alternative to one that's built in.

If the sensor really is a great improvement, this sounds like an amazing camera. I was convinced to buy into M43 because I thought it hit the sweet spot for sensor/lens size and potential optical sharpness (and Olympus' JPEG quality). This was despite the higher noise compared to a DSLR, since I knew sensor improvements would overcome that limitation (whereas compromises between sensor size and distance to the lens can't overcome physics; i.e. Sony NEX). I'm just waiting for that next generation of M43 cameras, and I hope it's here with the OM-D line.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Canon 5D and 1D series cameras have no built in flash. I think that's true of the competing Nikon products, too.

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    A mini E-5. Did they decide not to follow the "rangefinder style with side mounted EVF" train?

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's a OM-1 retro sort of thing. Just like the E-P*# series cameras are retro Pen-F sorts of thing. Leveraging their history is what Oly does these days, apparently.

17. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    It would have been awesome if they go for rangefinder style like my Olympus Trip 35..:biggrin:

But OM style is not bad..

18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    TBH I don't like using the built-in flash, so not having one doesn't bother me.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it works with my FL-300R I won't need a built in flash. Though it'd be cool if it works with the pop-up that came with my E-PM1!

20. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    does anyone know if this will have a touchscreen.. from what i've read, it doesnt look like it will... oh well, my EP3 and 45 1.8 is arriving today, and it should keep me happy till the E-M6(?) comes out.. haha....