Rumor: Canon to Join Micro Four Thirds Eventually?!

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
via 1001 Noisy Cameras:

Cateto blog has reported on a blog post from Spanish photographer Valentín Sama, who apparently has "published more than one significant scoop in the past". Apparently, this post from Sama (in Spanish) suggests that other companies (Fuji, Sigma, and Kodak are named) could join the Micro Four Thirds standard and that, according to his information, Canon may also be joining Micro Four Thirds in the long term!

Sources:
Cateto blog (English)
Valentín Sama blog (Spanish)
Valentín Sama blog (Google translation)

bg2b

Mu-43 Regular
It's been widely "confirmed" that Fuji will join the alliance and release a micro-4/3 camera. I wouldn't put any stock in Canon signing up though.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
It's been widely "confirmed" that Fuji will join the alliance and release a micro-4/3 camera. I wouldn't put any stock in Canon signing up though.

For Fuji, I've seen only unsubstantiated rumors. Has there been any word from anyone with a good track record? I would love to see Fuji join!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Woohoo! That would be quite something... hope at least some of this is true.

Thanks for the news.

Cheers

Brian

bg2b

Mu-43 Regular
For Fuji, I've seen only unsubstantiated rumors. Has there been any word from anyone with a good track record? I would love to see Fuji join!
Thom Hogan is probably the most well-known of those who've "confirmed" it. I use the quotes because I'll only 100% believe it when Fuji says it. My WAG is that it's 80% likely.

voyager

Unlikely. They get enough money for the Rebel lineup already I don't see them investing in yet another camera mount.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I can certainly see Canon going down the compact, mirrorless, interchangeable lens route and maybe even a fixed lens model as well as the natural sucessors to the G series cameras. I think Canon will stick with the 1.6 crop sensors rather than go to MFT.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
The key thing about buying legacy (I'll skip the word legendary) lenses is to watch your budget and make sure you're buying lenses in very good condition - it takes a little patience to track down those bargains but it can be a fun learning experience.

I'd recommend starting out with a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake lens... great value.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I caught it many times....
The Epson R-D1s was the biggest hit....
And then I was in that long running 3 year conversation on the streets...
Man, caught crapola there too....

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Naaaaaaaa

Could Canon or Nikon join - Yes if they paid their entrance fee!

Do they want to - I suspect no, they would need to develop a completely new range of bodies/lenses to sit alongside their current offerings and they make too much money on their current range to want to impact it negatively by a new product range/format.

I could however see them develop a smaller body to accomodate an APS-C sensor

Latest threads

Top Bottom