1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor: Canon EOS M Launch Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Japanese website Digicame-info has leaked a slew of information regarding the release of a new Canon EOS M system slated for tomorrow.

7624946928_f4b20ec803_o.

What we can expect

-Very small body (similar to NEX) with simple controls; no integrated viewfinder or port for accessory electronic viewfinder; no body stabilization

-Same or similar 18MP APS-C sensor to existing 7D 60D 600D 650D cameras; ISO 100-12800 (25,600 Expansion)

-3″ touchscreen 1.04 million pixels display

-Phase and contrast detect "hybrid" AF

-New EF-M mount: Initial two lenses are 18-55mm (29-88mm equivalent) f/3.5-5.6 image stabilized (IS) zoom and 22mm (35mm equivalent) f/2 pancake prime lens. There will also be an adapter at launch for EF (and likely EF-S) lenses.

-No integrated flash (comes with add-on flash like NEX-5N, E-PM1)

Additional views

7624946744_08096ed6ea_o.

7624946634_e94ae499c2_o.

Bundled flash:

7624946838_5af1b267f3_o.

Kit zoom:

7624970368_35d4e9e4ff_z.

Analysis

Canon's initial entry into mirrorless interchangeable system cameras looks to be a strong one. By keeping the size very small, controls very simple, and offering no integrated or external viewfinder, this is bound to be very affordable and geared towards "point and shoot" upgraders, just as we saw with initial Sony NEX offerings.

At the same time, Canon - unlike Nikon - is introducing a compact system camera (CSC) that will substantially compete with it's own lucrative entry level APS-C cameras. This is a risky move from Canon, but with the CSC market growing considerably, they are making the right decision.

The initial lens offerings are also sensible. A standard consumer zoom is a must for any system, and Canon's 18-55 is unlikely to disappoint. However, a new compact system needs compact lenses, and a lot will depend on the performance (both optical performance and autofocus performance) of the 22mm (35mm equivalent) pancake. It seems to me that 35mm equivalent is the right first lens for a system. By choosing this focal length and f/2 speed, I like Canon's first prime lens choice better than we saw with Sony (24mm equivalent), Olympus (35mm equivalent f/2.8), Samsung (45mm equivalent), Ricoh GXR (28 or 50mm equivalent), Pentax K-01 (40mm equivalent f/2.8) or Fuji (27/53/91mm equivalent).

It's remarkable how few systems have an affordable, small, faster than f/2.8 prime with 35mm equivalent length. Pentax, a company known for their small primes, still doesn't have such a lens for their APS-C cameras. Canon, Nikon, and Sony APS-C DSLR users don't have one either.

It may be a while before we see Canon introduce their high end EOS M camera. Their NEX-7. It depends on how much they are willing to compete with their own DSLR system. On the other hand, they've kept their high end DSLRs large and heavy (talking about 7D/5D class here, not to mention 1D class), so a high end mirrorless camera won't exactly compete with those cameras. I imagine that 5D users who want a small second camera will be very interested in a higher grade EOS M camera with more controls and viewfinder capability.

Sources:
    Digicame-info
    1001 Noisy Cameras
    Canon Rumors

• Like Like x 4
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Amin,
    The above specs fall in-line with the other ***rumour*** of both Canon & Nikon releasing a more advanced/sophisticated mirrorless system late 2012-early 2013.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

Edit:
    The above rumor also makes a bit more sense when you think about how Canon & Nikon have organized their DSLR lines...Both companies have:

-Entry level DSLRs
    -Semi-Pro level DSLRs
    -Professional DSLRs

So, why not make entry level mirrorless systems & professional mirrorless systems.....

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    please let me know when they stick a FF sensor (5dmk-whatever) into a OMD body size and then im in....meanwhile im more than happy with my OMD and my 5DMKII for work.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Amin.. I agree with your analysis. This will make an easy, probably low cost, transition to Canon mirrorless for the many Canon DSLR shooters out there, especially all of those who haven't invested in m4/3.

This is only a bare beginning... no doubt there will be much more to follow.

And I too think the introduction of a 35mm f/2 equivalent lens is brilliant. This body with a high quality 35/2 lens would be an awesome walk-around camera!

Certainly, for the longer term, a new line of more compact lenses will be important, as will an upgraded body with more manual controls and a built-in EVF. And I have no doubt that Canon, with their prodigious capability and strength, will do this! Will it steal sales from their smaller size, entry level DSLRs? Sure will... but those sales are likely to be dwindling anyway and Canon might as well stand a good chance of capturing as much of the drift from those dwindling DSLR sales as possible. Once they have a more developed EOS M system... it is likely to be formidible.

No plans to let go of my well-fleshed-out m4/3 system, though!

I think Nikon really blew it with their mirrorless debut... but Canon on the other hand, is likely to pull this off very well.

In the meantime, for the many of us with EF and EF-S lenses lying around, used or unused... there is a strong temptation to pick up one of these little bodies and have some fun! Even if all my EF Canon gear were gone.. I would likely pick up one of these cameras with the 22/2 pancake. We're soon to really be off to the races. I like it. :dance3:

The future of mirrorless is exciting and fun!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Assuming those pictures are accurate, I can't help but feel like this will be a flop.

Although I'm a noob, and my view reflects that... I can't help but feel like I happen to represent the market they should be designing towards. The lenses seem like a good call, but the body doesn't have any of the features I would want if I was trying to step up from a point and shoot, or scale back from a DSLR.

I understand the lack of a viewfinder, assuming higher end models will have one. But the controls seem a bit too minimalistic. I've found great utility in learning how to shoot in aperture priority, and shutter priority and it seems odd that the control knob only has three modes. Furthermore, unless there is a really innovative method of changing settings (touchscreen?) it looks like this camera will be annoying to use for anything other than auto modes.

maybe I'm wrong but, they it seems like they would have done better to release a flagship model to compete with the E-M5, GH-2, and maybe the G-5. The market for anything else is just too saturated.

Why would any informed consumer buy that camera when they could also buy into 4 more established systems that offer the exact same thing?

Instead of coming out swinging, they decided to sit with the rest of the benchwarmers.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I agree that the lens choices are excellent, though I think Canon has nothing to offer that the Pana 20 doesn't give us. But from the T4i, I suspect this camera's performance will be decidedly pedestrian. A lot could hinge on the price.

8. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    The 22mm prime lens seems nice, but it's a shame there's no port for an internal viewfinder.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. I am almost reconsidering getting into m43 :smile: , j/k , j/k :cool: It will probably have slow AF, and no viewfinder option is kind of a bummer. Main thing is that it will still be a poor cousin to their main DSLR business and they will probably not develop it as aggressively as Panasonic/Olympus/Sony/Fuji.

I wonder if it's possible for Fuji to cram their sensor into a body that small. That would be cool.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Much less ambitious than I'd expected. Another also-ran in my book. I'd prefer the G1X to this actually, and the OM-D isn't assaulted here whatsoever. I'd actually STILL prefer my E-PL2 to this, and I WANTED to like this new offering.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I really wanted to like the upcoming Canon mirrorless camera but... nope.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    looks kind of interesting... if it's cheap. iso100 @18mp. That's tempting. Again if it's cheap. Kit lens looks good, don't know if I would purchase any ef-m lenses depending on how the adapter works out.

13. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    That sounds interesting. Not something that is going to make me jump ships, but definitely interested to see what they have come up with there.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They'll sell because it's good enough and it's Canon. The initial reaction to the Nikon CSC was mixed but it's selling quite well.

15. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    This is what Nikon SHOULD have done with their CSC entry rather than the crippled 1 series. I'm sure people just looking to step up from a point-and-shoot see value in the 1 series but as a Nikon DSLR shooter I have no serious interest in a V1 or J1 (even with the continuous shooting speed and the ability to turn fast telephoto F-mount lenses into extreme telephoto with the huge crop factor.

If you can indeed use this Canon CSC with standard Canon lenses via adapter and the hotshoe works with Canon's existing Speedlites for their DSLRs then this will be VERY attractive to current Canon DSLR users looking for a smaller travel camera.

16. Asha

Asha New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If this camera had the agility and adaptability of m43 but more controls like the Canon G series, then I might have regretted having just bought into Lumix. I love my Canon G9, just wish it had a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. The Lumix GX1 with 20mm lens fits all my needs for now! :)

17. This has disappointed a lot of people on the various Canon forums. Apparently what a lot of them wanted was something that uses existing DSLR lenses (possibly even without an adapter), has a DSLR control layout, and an eye-level viewfinder like on a DSLR. Strangely enough, I'm fairly sure that they already own a camera that meets all of the above criteria perfectly.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin and its a great news for consmers. This was inevitable as future clearly belongs to mirrorless cameras . This will give MFT some stiff competition possible reduction in lens and camera prices if Canon comes out with an acceptable pricing and lens collection to match . Canon already indicated with 40mm 2.8 pancake earlier this month regarding what to expect from a major camera manufacturer. It looks a very nice camera on paper and 22mm F2 lens is a great start . I was thinking of picking up NEX 5N with 16 mm lens for my wife but I think I can wait and see what Canon offers.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree , it might be disappointing but if lens size remains bigger then whole purpose of portability is defeated .
    Cheers