1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor: 4K Video Coming to the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Aug 18, 2014.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Via a firmware update: http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-this-is...s-coming-with-the-next-e-m1-firmware-upgrade/
    Sounds too good to be true. Imagine the implications: the ability to shoot highly stabilized hand held 4K video with ANY lens! To be competitive with Panasonic and Sony, the 4K video capture would need to be recorded at 30 frames per second and at a bitrate of 60-100 mbps. Just too unbelievable all that could be accomplished solely via a firmware update.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It has been discussed here as well: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=68153. I am not holding my breath on anything, especially something like 4K which could cause some heat issues if the E-M1 was not designed for that kind of use.

--Ken

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    From what I gather, we can safely bet our bottom dollar that it ain't
    gonna happen. The EM1 quite simply doesn't have the nuts and bolts required for the job.

As an EM1 user I'd be thrilled to see improved codec/bit rate and manual controls to bring the EM1 closer to GX7 standard (my other camera)...as a casual and infrequent video shooter these improvements would be more than enough to keep me happy.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Lol. Par for the course for 43rumours. I've stopped taking anything I read on there seriously. In fact, if I see a thread referencing that site, I generally just ignore the topic altogether and wait for a reliable source to chime in.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, I waste far too much time looking at it & am amused at the seriousness some take, while others are commenting & are just there to take the 'mickey' (or p*ss) out of anybody that falls for it. Some overreaction comments are written with total sarcasm but isn't always obvious which then ends up with a string of counter comments (of which I have fallen for & been guilty of too), but of course it was hardly surprising with the last rumour (FT5 rumor) since the initial one was just a wishlist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Absolutely.

Basically, anything other than FT5 is pointless on there, and anything they have as FT5, I can find on other sources as well (as they're generally just regurgitated press releases, etc), without having to wade through an ocean of FT1-4 "OH MY GOD LOOK WHAT WE'RE GETTING" that'll never actually happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Thrust and Parry

Can't wait to see if the slow motion functions (120p, and 240p) make it to the E-P5.

8. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    What interests me most isn't the possibility of 4k, but the fact that olympus may be giving back to it's customers with a big firmware update. It seems that only Fuji is currently trying to maximize their hardware with firmware updates and it would be nice if olympus does the same thing. It gives the consumer a lot more peace of mind when investing in the hardware.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, now they're showing a leaked silver E-M1 & the whingers are out in force. The leaked images of the (black) E-M1 had the critics too.

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Ricoh has also been good about firmware updates that add new features.

--Ken

11. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    FT3 the new source insists 4k is there. I'm hanging on to hope my greatest gripe with this format will be resolved soon. Basically 5-axis IBIS which imo is more magical on video than still images paired with good video capability.

12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Olympus really needs to do something about its video codec and/or video-processing pipeline though. At similar bitrates, Panasonic video runs circles around Olympus. The 5-axis IBIS sure is nice though for video.