1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rubber zoom ring is coming off :(

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Promit, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    So I have a relatively new Panasonic 14-140mm, and the rubber ring that wraps around the zoom ring is coming unglued :frown: It's becoming kind of a problem. Is this something that can be easily fixed, or do I have to send it back to Panasonic?

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Have the same problem with the Panny 14-45mm: the rubber ring has become wider and won't fit tightly in its groove anymore. Incidentally, I've had this with my Minolta lenses at the time as well. I've googled to find a way to shrink the rubber ring, but found nothing. Maybe the only way is to order a new ring (or rings, to get through a number of years).

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    There is a reliable way to shrink rubber: you have to soak it in gasoline overnight. But if you soak it for too long, it will become too tight.

4. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    ^^^ really? that won't degrade the rubber?

5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Really. You have to use the purest gasoline you can find. I used this method to shrink the rubber hand grip coating of my Sony DSC-R1 because it became too large over time and didn't fit in its groove anymore. But you have to be very, very careful.

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Any particular type of gasolene? Will pure hexane do the trick, or do you need something heavier?

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Mine zoom ring has loosened up, too, but so far it doesn't interfere with use. It's weird, though. Usually rubber shrinks over time, but this ring is actually growing.

A couple of thoughts that are less drastic than gasoline: you could put a rubber band or 2 under the rubber ring to give it some extra grip; or you could put some double-sided tape under the ring. I wouldn't use any kind of glue that has a solvent in it though, to make sure no fumes enter the lens.

8. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Rubber becomes loose because it absorbs your skin oil. To shrink it you have to wash the oil out of it. Any solvent which dissolves fat but leaves rubber alone should do the trick. I think pure alcohol will also suffice, but soaking time will be much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Cool. Another use for my camping stove's fuel. (-:

10. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    If is oil, then a bowling ball oil remover might be way better, and safer on the rubber. I would put the ring in soapy water overnight before even thinking about gasoline.

11. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Been there, done that. This just doesn't work.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    As a follow up in case anyone discovers this thread: Sears Parts Direct sent me (by ordering from Panasonic) a new rubber ring for $25 or so, which I pulled onto the lens to replace the old one, and now all is well. Would've cost nearly that much just to ship to a repair center.

• Like Like x 2