Rubber skin loose on E-M1 rear control panel

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

The rubber skin around the control buttons on the rear of my E-M1 is coming loose to the lower-right of the Play button, where my right palm rubs it.

I've seen some people recommend a double-sided tape for such things, but can anyone recommend a semi-permanent glue that wouldn't damage the rubber or the paint?

It needs to set thinly, as otherwise the skin probably won't fit back into place (it takes some pressure and luck to get it back into place right now).

I found mention of "Fix All Adhesive" (Super Glue brand) on another forum, but am not familiar with that product. Supposedly it's like a strong rubber cement.

Thanks,
Barry

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just took mine off, doesn't look as good but doesn't make much difference in handling (actually it improved it as I wasn't snagging the lifted rubber).

When I was looking for a fix, I had found mention of a double sided thermal tape for computer parts, Sekisui brand. Found strips on eBay for $2, and I put the rubber piece in the freezer to shrink it. It still sits there.

I contacted Olympus about getting the rubber (they used to sell it for the E1) but their advice was send camera in. I haven't pursued it further.

Let us know if you find anything new out, thanks, Jeff.

Last edited:

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

The rubber skin around the control buttons on the rear of my E-M1 is coming loose to the lower-right of the Play button, where my right palm rubs it.

I've seen some people recommend a double-sided tape for such things, but can anyone recommend a semi-permanent glue that wouldn't damage the rubber or the paint?

It needs to set thinly, as otherwise the skin probably won't fit back into place (it takes some pressure and luck to get it back into place right now).

I found mention of "Fix All Adhesive" (Super Glue brand) on another forum, but am not familiar with that product. Supposedly it's like a strong rubber cement.

Thanks,
Barry
Why not to send it to Olympus? It takes just 2-3 days to go in service and back?

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why not to send it to Olympus? It takes just 2-3 days to go in service and back?

If it is under warranty, that is probably a good idea as they can just give the whole camera a good once over.

In my case, camera is out of warranty, plus bought it used so warranty doesn't apply anyway. Paying to ship the camera across the country, the repair, and return shipping is cost prohibitive and more than 2-3 days, especially for such a minor problem.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
If it is under warranty, that is probably a good idea as they can just give the whole camera a good once over.

In my case, camera is out of warranty, plus bought it used so warranty doesn't apply anyway. Paying to ship the camera across the country, the repair, and return shipping is cost prohibitive and more than 2-3 days, especially for such a minor problem.
Okay... One reason why I don't like to save in second hand in most products.

Like I registered my E-M1 and got 3½ year warranty with premium service that guarantees camera is only 3 days at max in their service. Needed to send camera to service a while ago and it shipped back and worth in under 3 days, services on other side of the world, all free naturally.

Benzy

Mu-43 Regular
This was a nagging issue with my friends em1. I'd love to get an OMD at some point but these little issues kind of keep me at bay.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

The camera is 13 months old so just out of warranty. However, some other forum posts say that Oly will repair it anyways. I'm not sure who pays for shipping & insurance.
Also, I have an extended warranty through the credit card I used to buy the camera, if needed.

I've generally heard good things about Oly / Precision Camera's service in the US, but one user here has had a horrible time with his E-M5 repairs; sounds like they sent him a different camera in poor condition!

I got some glue today, supposed to be transparent, hot and cold temperature tolerant, water resistant, solvent free, and easy to clean up. I'll report back after I try it.

Barry

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

The camera is 13 months old so just out of warranty. However, some other forum posts say that Oly will repair it anyways. I'm not sure who pays for shipping & insurance.
Also, I have an extended warranty through the credit card I used to buy the camera, if needed.

I've generally heard good things about Oly / Precision Camera's service in the US, but one user here has had a horrible time with his E-M5 repairs; sounds like they sent him a different camera in poor condition!

I got some glue today, supposed to be transparent, hot and cold temperature tolerant, water resistant, solvent free, and easy to clean up. I'll report back after I try it.

Barry
Try first to something other and then just little bit to the camera itself first.

barry

Super Moderator
The adhesive I got is
"Home Projects Repair Adhesive (LN-201)" by Liquid Nails:
Http://www.liquidnails.com/en-US/products/high-temperature-adhesive-LN201

It was under $4.

I tried it on my wife's iPad sleeve first; it was coming apart at the edges.

The adhesive is not terribly messy, and cleans up with a little rubbing alcohol (supposedly water would work also).

I then used it to re-glue the camera's rubber.
It seems to be holding.

Be sure to read the back of the package about letting it get tacky.

Barry

barry

Super Moderator
My rubber grip panel is loose again...

As I also have a rear dial problem, I'm trying to file a warranty claim with Oly now; if they won't cover it, the extended warranty from MasterCard should.

Oly's process is not very clear. I called and they told me to add comments on the web repair form. I've done that, but it is unclear whether they're going to respond or if I need to send it in first.

Barry

barry

Super Moderator
I got my E-M1 back today, fixed for free (other than my shipping cost).

I'm still not happy at all with the communications... they asked for payment as if they ignored my notes, and it took several more calls and 1 week for them to figure it out.

Barry

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've had my rubber thingy and two sets of dials replaced under warranty also, the Australian repair centre are generally fantastic to deal with though (I've used them several times and never had a problem with their service).

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
My rubber grip panel is loose again...

So I take it the LN-201 was not sufficient then? I'm in the same boat - bought the camera secondhand, and the rubber is starting to peel off. Wondering what a better adhesive option would be.

barry

Super Moderator
So I take it the LN-201 was not sufficient then? I'm in the same boat - bought the camera secondhand, and the rubber is starting to peel off. Wondering what a better adhesive option would be.

Right. Someone above recommends Gorilla glue, but it can be messy, iirc.

Barry

Latest threads

Top Bottom