Rubber lens hood for Pana 14-45mm (52mm thread)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sooper, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Does any one use a rubber lens hood for the 14-45mm panasonic lens? If so I'd like to know where you got it from.

I've yet to find one that doesn't cause vignetting at 14mm.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are some ebay vendors selling "adjustable" rubber lens hoods. Theoretically, you can pull the rubber part out to one of three different positions for wide, normal or tele lenses. I got one for my 14-140, and it seems to work OK at the wide and tele positions, but won't stay in the middle position at all.

3. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Could you possibly provide a link?

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I searched on rubber lens hood 52mm:

rubber lens hood 52mm | eBay

There are multiple retailers, and I honestly have no idea who I got mine from.

5. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert

I got one at Ritz Camera to use with my Nikon lens.
    I hadn't tried with the 14-45mm but your post prompted me to try it on the 14-45mm.
    It doesn't vignette, I'm pleasently surprised!

6. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    That's great! What does the hood look like? Can you find any similar ones eBay that you can post here? or possibly a picture of the hood on the lens?

7. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Robert
  8. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Robert
    Despite what the previous post may look like I don't work for Ritz:smile:

9. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Whatever you say buddy!

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm based in the UK! Plus the link you gave me takes me to the home page; I made a search for the hood you described but nothing shows up. I've found some similar ones on eBay (UK):

[1] Link 1
    [2] Link 2
    [3] Link 3

Which one do you think closely resembles the one you have?

10. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Purchased this and it's perfect for the 14-45mm lens. No vignetting even with a filter attached. It also folds back.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have owned at least a half-dozen of these rubber lens hoods in various sizes over the years. They were made by different makers. All of them were of poor quality. I bought them for their ability to collapse into a thin profile that made them easier to carry.

That is exactly what they did: collapse! One melted after leaving it under the sun for several hours. Two dried-up and cracked. One developed a bad odor. All of them had plastic threads that were VERY poorly cut and shredded when mated to metallic threads.

I eventually discarded all of them. I now exclusively use a 72mm metallic hood mated to a circular polarizer.