Rubber hood for Olympus 75mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manju69, May 24, 2016.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi - does anyone use a rubber hood for the Olympus 75mm? I have a metal one but it takes up a lot of space - and wondered if a rubber hood would work? Cheers

2. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    the Olympus original hood costs a bomb, it's held by friction and does take a lot of space, but it's stylish :rolleyes:
    I no longer have the M.Zuiko 75 (girlfriend "borrowed" it) but I fitted a screw-in short metal one; still stylish but less bulky
    I don't see why a rubber would not work as they are my preferred lens hood for large diameter lenses: prevent flare and collapse for compactness. The minus comes with style points unless 70's retro is your preferred one ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The metal one is reversible. Doesn't seem to me that it takes up a lot of room.

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    my one isn't! Bought second hand and came with non olympus metal hood.

5. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    true
    however I have a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 RF (old school) that has a reversible metal hood.
    I hate the thing: as I need the lens quickly out of the bag (I ma not the tripod type kind of guy) I have to futz with the hood before I take a picture that may only last a minute if I am lucky (or less), and then take it off to put the lens away.
    On my other lenses where I have the rubber hood I just pull the lens out, ready to use.
    I guess it would work just fine if I had more time...

6. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I use a screw-in metal hood that has 62mm front thread, and use a 62mm cap. (Hint: Original Olympus metal cap for 12-40mm Pro lens)

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    That makes sense now...I'm still a tripod guy ;-)

8. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I use a rubber hood on my 75. Can't stand screw tightened hoods. As far as I can tell it works fine, but I never really tested the flare.

Rubber hoods seem to break down from the expanding/retracting process but they are cheap enough to just replace every few years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yes. The Oly one is a crazy price. Is it gold plated?! And I can live with 70's retro - the e-m5 II is retro anyway. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    One great advantage with cheap rubber hoods is that if you ever need to shoot through glass (a window, at the public aquarium, at a hockey rink, etc.) where the issue is you are often getting as much of the area behind you in the reflection off that glass as the subject you really meant to photograph, with a rubber hood you can press it right up against the glass allowing the rubber lip to sit flush against the glass (even when your lens is aimed at an angle) helping to seal out light and reflections.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I use a rubber hood on my 60mm Macro and haven't encountered any shading issues with this* and I doubt if the 75mm will give you that problem either**. However, sometimes I have found that the rubber hood comes adrift from its metal ring and have successfully used Evo-Stick or Superglue to hold that permanently in place.
    [Teaching grandmother to suck eggs mode]
    * Just make sure the hood doesn't deform in use and cause shading.
    ** You might find that some rubber hoods don't quite offer enough shading in some lighting conditions and I have overcome that (rare) problem, by using a piece of Matt-black card to stop that happening. Yes, the Olly hoods are a horrible price, but not as bad as the prices quoted (even second-hand!) for Hasselblad hoods!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ask yourself if you really need a hood at all. In the rare condition that flare is present, often your hand works as a hood (or slight camera angle adjustment)

• Like Like x 1
  13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    To be honest, it is partly it is to protect the vast and lovely glass. I don't use hoods on most of my other lenses but this one seems bare without one! But maybe you are right and I don't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

14. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I do. I usually order an appropriate rubber hood from B&H for any lens I acquire that does not come with a hood. For my Oly 75mm I ordered a rubber hood that looked to be deep enough to be very effective in shading the front surface of the glass from all stray light.

To those who say a hood is not needed, just because you don't see flare doesn't mean your image is not going to degraded to some extent by stray light that may not cause a visible effect in the viewfinder.

The rubber hood I chose is plenty deep but does not vignette, and on that 75mm lens I use it religiously. It also provides a high degree of "bumper" protection (great for a lens that costs what this one does). For this reason I'd really prefer the rubber hood to the Oly metal one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    While flare, the most obvious flaw of hoodless shooting, may not be present, as @Bif@Bif mentioned your image could be degraded in other ways. The most obvious one is loss of contrast which may not be obvious unless you try a hooded and hoodless shot of the same scene at the same time. You can often fix a slight decrease in contrast in post processing, but a hood is a simple way to get your shots better from the get go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

If it takes that much effort to detect the loss of contrast, is it worth caring about?

It kind of feels like someone selling me some phony health products door-to-door. "98% of people with Pancreatic Disambiguation don't even know they have it! Buy this all-natural fruit drink for $40 a bottle to make sure you are healthy. Think of your family, sir, don't you care about their health!?"

17. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I disagree with that. When people are nitpicking about the slightest difference in sharpness between two copies of the same lens, and willing to sell and re-buy until he finds a good copy, investing in a hood to aid with contrast should be a minor inconvenience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 app

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tkbslc

Those kinds of people should buy hoods and probably a camera with a bigger sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I didn't say the loss of contrast was insignificant. What I meant was a hoodless shot may have a noticeable amount of contrast loss (if compared to the same shot with a hood) that when looked at by itself some photographers may not realize how much image quality they are giving up by not using something as easy to use as a lens hood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    I paid the price and bought the Olympus one--I do a lot of hiking off trails in the mountains and I keep the hood on to protect the front element--If I am paying that much for the lens I am not going to pinch pennies with the hood-- a hood on my lens has saved me plenty of heartbreaks