1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rubber hood for Lumix 14mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Borsch, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello,

I am looking to buy a hood that will:

1. Improve contrast/colours of photos but not introduce additional vignetting

2. Will not detract from portability of my GF5+14mm

3. Will not add additional hassle of screwing things on and off just to put a lens cap on.

I am currently looking at colapsible rubber hoods like this one
    SCREW ON 46MM PROFESSIONAL RUBBER COLLAPSIBLE LENS HOOD FOR SLR LENSES QUALITY | eBay

46mm Rubber Collapsible Lens Hood | eBay

Does anyone have any experience/tips to share?

Thanks! :)

EDIT (19/04): I've ended up with this one- compact when collapsed, has longish shade when extended, very good for pressing against windows too:

e1b1a71daf7f36f608287c9df127eddf.

4c3c27e2b7164b52f61c99f1c958fc37.

bcf005c3f14729e45b6d44ce6919aa4c.

2. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
  3. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    if you're looking for a rubber hood, the ones you posted look to be good options. You'll be able to take your lens cap on and off without removing the hood.
    Personally not a fan of rubber hoods. I use this hood and purchased a bigger (49mm) cap to fit directly on the hood. I'm sure it's not as portable but I like to hold the lens when I shoot and the 14mm is just too small without it for me.

4. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Wow, that hood looks pretty deep. Have you noticed any vignetting? Makes me wonder if mine is too shallow.

5. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    no vignetting at all but this is the limit with the 14mm. I put a UV filter on before the hood and it started to vignette so this is as deep as you can go.

6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I use a 46 to 28 mm step down ring:

Amazon.com: 46mm-28mm 46-28 mm 46 to 28 Step Down Ring Filter Adapter: Camera & Photo

This adds minimally to the size and I usually don't bother with a cap as the front element is sufficiently protected. You can however use either a 28 mm lens cap or a friction cap that goes over the OD of the ring.

Of course there is a trade-off with it not being quite as deep.
    I found the 14 to be fairly low contrast at 2.5 even in the shade, but much improved at 4.0...

Rudy

7. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks guys! Since Teddoman's hood does not vignette, either of my rubber ebay jobs should be fine as well.

Contrast wise, 14mm likes to shoot from the shade I find. With sun something like perpendicular to it, drop in colours and contrast is very noticeable- but I guess it is the same with ALL non nano crystal coated lenses, they all benefit from hoods...

8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I actually made one by my self. But It was for my p20. Reused one of my childrens play dough cans and made it black. The good thing was that I could cut it so it would stay tight to the lens without using the screw in filter thing(sorry my eng). To sum it up, it worked like a charm!

9. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Worked like a charm you mean it improved contrast/colours quite noticeably?

I've ordered mine yesterday, cant wait to try it :)

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I use a similar collapsible rubber hood on my Panasonic 20mm. To tell you the truth I'm not sure I notice an impact on IQ as I never noticed that flare was particularly a problem with the P20 (or the P14 for that matter). I like it for two reasons: 1) it provides some measure of protection from small bumps and 2) it doesn't add any bulk to the lens.

11. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    This hood measures around 6cm deep so it is massive compared to the "screw in metall eBay ones"
    And yes I think it helps contrast but mostly to prevent ugly flare. You can see my hood here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/homemade-hood-pana-20-1-7-a-41570/

12. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Mmm, doesnt sound too promising for me then, I guess I should have investigated a bit more :(

You certainly prefer function over form ;) But, the perfect hood is the one that extends all the way to the object, so your hood is certainly more perfect than the little rubber thing that I ordered. :)

For now (still hoodless) I see a very marked difference in contrast and colours saturation between shooting the same scene while having sun in my front hemisphere and having it behind me.

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm looking or a collapsible hood for the 14 also.

Of ones I've seen advertised, it looks like most of them are marketed for the 20 as well as the 14; it stands to reason the same lens can't do an equally good job for both, as a proper hood for the 14 would be too wide for the 20 to do a good job. So if there's no vignetting at all, that would be the best lens (14) to use with that particular hood. Any experience out there?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I don't know about the rubber collapsible hoods, but they sell the same vented metal hood for both the 14 and 20mm lenses. I bought one of these and use it on my 14 without vignetting ... when I use a hood, that is. :wink:

15. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I have a collapsible rubber hood for sale, I bought it then preferred my vented hood

If anyone wants it let me know

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That hood appears to be around 2-3 cm deep. If you consider how tiny the front element of the P14 is and the lens' angle of view, it's no surprise that a relatively deep hood doesn't cause vignetting.

By my measurements the edge of the front element is around 14mm from the filter thread, with a 75mm AOV that tells me that a 2cm deep hood isn't going to vignette, and that's assuming that light coming through the extreme edge of the front element just covers the image circle (which is obviously not the case).

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying that there isn't any IQ benefit to the hood on the P20, simply that I haven't tried to quantify it. Anything you do that tends to decrease non-incident light from entering the lens should help.

I would bet that rolling green's deep solid hood is more effective, but it's use comes at the expense of compactness which in my mind basically defeats the P14's purpose. That's why I feel that a collapsible hood makes the most sense with the pancake lenses.

18. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I agree completely about 14mm's portability being one of its main raisons d'etre... I'll experiment with my rubber hood pretty rigorously as even it will make my GF5 no longer pocketable, so the improvements have to be pretty good for me to sacrifice pocketability.

I've also not looked at whether flare is as bad for raw files, I ve only seen the impact on jpegs- so I'll play around with that as well.

19. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    The hood is here :) Not had to a chance to test its impact on IQ yet, but it is very comapct when collapsed and looks to be usably long when extended. Appologies for bad pics, I only had an old P&S handy:

e1b1a71daf7f36f608287c9df127eddf.

4c3c27e2b7164b52f61c99f1c958fc37.

bcf005c3f14729e45b6d44ce6919aa4c.

20. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Looks great! Where did u bought it and how much?