rubber grip peeling off

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
rather annoyed ,my rubber grip in front of the shutter button is starting to peel off and although (allegedly ) covered under warranty it means I have to send it off for repair at a busy time of the year for me , same thing used to happen to nikons but this is only a 3 month old camera . contacted Olympus u.k for repair and they have sent me a totally useless e/mail telling me to download a repair form which I can't find anywhere .. bloody fuming at the moment

Real Name
Butch Oakey
rather annoyed ,my rubber grip in front of the shutter button is starting to peel off and although (allegedly ) covered under warranty it means I have to send it off for repair at a busy time of the year for me , same thing used to happen to nikons but this is only a 3 month old camera . contacted Olympus u.k for repair and they have sent me a totally useless e/mail telling me to download a repair form which I can't find anywhere .. bloody fuming at the moment
Bummer, what camera is it?

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Sugru is awesome stuff to replace and or improve a grip. My carry method wore down the (much needed) thumb rest on my EP5 in about a year, so I put some Sugru on it and molded it to fit me better, as well as adding some to the front finger hold to get a better grip. The thumb grip is still wearing down, but nowhere as quickly. I liked the increased tackiness so much that the first thing I did when I got my brand new EM5mkii a couple of years ago was start slapping Sugru on that puppy. I read that some aluminum foil crumpled and uncrumpled several times leaves a very convincing leatherette impression into the Sugru once it's in place and the shape you want it to be, so I did that and it looked like a factory job. Now it almost feels like the action grip on my old Canon A1.

Still, I get the frustration - you shouldn't have to rely upon third party goops and goos when your camera is brand spanking new.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, it seems a problem in the E-M1 Mark II. Someone on here had his fixed twice and I think the second time into the USA repair joint they wanted $280 to fix it (Out of warranty perhaps, and possibly a flat-rate repair price applied.).

Mine also came loose near the top part within the first year. I suspect the material swells up from finger pressure or skin oils and rides up over the metal lip by the shutter button area in time. Then it works its way loose from the body.

I re-glued mine with some contact glue and it seems to be holding, but it is starting to creep up over the metal lip again but still is holding tight to the body. It has some nubs on the back of it that fit into matching body holes that keep it in place, yet it still likes to flatten out and swell up.

If it does come loose again, I'll sand the top of the material down a bit with a fingernail file and re-glue it rather than send it into them as my last lens repair in NJ took a couple of months for a simple firmware update with three different estimates. I'd use something like Pliobond which is a contact glue used by a lot of camera repair outfits (Amazon sells it.). We used it at the camera store I worked at. Not a big deal as boss use to re-glue a lot of customer's leatherette for free, just first time doing it is always worrisome.

Fwiw, Olympus repair survey.

Last edited:

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
now sent off to there repair centre . glad to see that this isn't a one off problem . still got five years + warranty left on it one of the reasons I went for olympus . just hope its not going to have to go on holiday very often . seems ridiculous that you have to send it from the u.k to Portugal for repair though even if they do cover the postage

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
now sent off to there repair centre . glad to see that this isn't a one off problem . still got five years + warranty left on it one of the reasons I went for olympus . just hope its not going to have to go on holiday very often . seems ridiculous that you have to send it from the u.k to Portugal for repair though even if they do cover the postage
Nice you got 5 years. USA is only one for the body, although the E-M1X had some special three years for the early adopters where they sent you an email to use for the 2nd and 3rd year. I have the E-M1X too and so far it hasn't given up any covering material yet - and I may be using it more than the E1 Mark II now so it should have gone for a walk by now given it is about a year old and the same time the stuff on the E1 Mark II gave up. Maybe Olympus addressed it on the E-M1X given the E1.2 and Pen-F thumb cover issues.

Good luck, and hope the second one sticks.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
It could have been worse: on the only Olympus body I have owned, the spring under the lens locking pin failed which led to a lens falling off the body and disappearing into the abyss (this was in the mountains). And the E-M5 I once loaned from a camera shop already had a crack in the LCD frame.

This experience made me a bit prejudiced against Olympus in general, though I do my best to keep an open mind in case they ever release a truly mind-blowing camera.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
It could have been worse: on the only Olympus body I have owned, the spring under the lens locking pin failed which led to a lens falling off the body and disappearing into the abyss (this was in the mountains). And the E-M5 I once loaned from a camera shop already had a crack in the LCD frame.

This experience made me a bit prejudiced against Olympus in general, though I do my best to keep an open mind in case they ever release a truly mind-blowing camera.
the omd1.mkii is a truly mind blowing camera performance wise .pulling photos up that I wouldn't bother to take with other cameras /systems but this is a annoying fault that should not be happening in this day and age

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
To be fair to Olympus, the problem is not unique to them. The same thing happened to my old Sony DSC-R1, to my father’s Nikon D300 and many other cameras out there.

The issue is twofold:

1) they can’t use strong adhesives because the screws that hold the camera together need to be accessed for service etc.

2) they’re using nice soft grippy rubber which absorbs skin oils and gets a tad swollen thus breaking the bond. This doesn’t happen to low-end cameras because they use cheap hard plastic which doesn’t absorb anything and doesn’t change its size.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
My old E-M1 did this as well. Part of the reason the lower end models don't tend to do it as much is that they have less pronounced grips. Because they stick out very little, the grip doesn't get stretched as much in normal use.

It's not just cameras. The focus ring on my old PL25 expanded and came loose, requiring some tape to act as filler to make it a tight fit again.

TBH I'd prefer a harder wearing plastic for the grip if it meant that it won't come off. I'm also finding the textured metal rings on my 12-40, 8-18 and 100-400 just fine.

You can buy a replacement from Luton camera in the UK for 15 pounds.

I've had mine replaced under warrenty twice in two years. The next time I'll fix it myself as it is gone for a week each time. (I have my local camera store handle the warranty repair as they have a faster turn around then when I did it myself)

Or if you know someone who is skilled with a 3D printer you can get one made out of a harder material like Nylon or Carbon Fiber impregnated plastic using the file from: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4110680

Last edited:

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
You can buy a replacement from Plutonium camera in the UK for 15 pounds.

I've had mine replaced under warrenty twice in two years. The next time I'll fix it myself as it is gone for a week each time. (I have my local camera store handle the warranty repair as they have a faster turn around then when I did it myself)

Or if you know someone who is skilled with a 3D printer you can get one made out of a harder material like Nylon or Carbon Fiber impregnated plastic using the file from: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4110680

Can't seem to find 'Plutonium Camera'. Could you provide a link please.

atomicmak

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mital Patel
My biggest complaint to olympus is its design flaw of the rubber grip peeling off. I had my em1.1 grip peeled off i had to pay adgetu t replaced. Same happenef to em1.2 as well and i had to get it reolaced and even after replacement done my em1.2grip again peeled off in four months.

Also the gap of second finger is so deep umderneath the whutter button that over the exhaustive daily shoot i had developed a stiffen bubble on my finger .. i had wroteto them lomg back bjt seems they dont listen to where they dont stand. I am from india where olympus has no presence.

I wish they would listen.
Rest i have a good experience with the gears and i am happy to expand.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
covered under warranty it means I have to send it off for repair at a busy time of the year for me
One of many reasons to have a 2nd identical body. When I made all my living from photography I always had 3 identical bodies. I would typically shoot events or whatever with two bodies, the third was for those times one had to go in for repair.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom