1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rubber band on lens for street shooting.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mr Hahn, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    When I'm Street Shooting I install the 20mm or 17mm and set my E-P2 as follows:

1) FN button switches me to MF
    2) I install the EVF and turn off the LCD
    3) I go into A mode set F8
    4) AEL/AFL button is set to give me a single AF, I use it to focus on something 8ft away (6ft for 17mm) so I'm set at Hyperfocal distance
    5) I start walking.

I got tired of bumping the focus ring and I didn't like tape on it so I found a black rubber band. It holds the ring tight enough that it doesn't move unless I really want it to, it can be removed and installed quickly, and it doesn't leave residue like tape does.

Here's a couple pics from my iphone of the rubber band installed:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5260039652/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5260039792/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5259431469/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

Thought I'd post this in case anybody else is tired of the focus ring moving on them and hates the look of tape on their camera.

-Nate

• Like Like x 6
  2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    An excellent idea. Now all I have to do is find a suitable rubber band.

3. Ollie43

Ollie43 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2010
    Turning off EPL-1 LCD

Is their a way to effectively turn off the EPL-1 LCD and keep it off?

I find that when I plug in the EVF2, that even though I press the button on the EVF to turn off the LCD, that frequently, the it changes from EVF back to LCD.

4. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    That is a very neat idea Mr Hahn,
    Focus ring movement had been a quiet annoyance for me too!

Thanks for sharing

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I stopped using manual focus for street shooting on the m43 cams because of the nudge issue. I just use AF but decouple the AF from the shutter button. So I use auto focus to focus on something as close to the hyperfocal distance as I can work out and then just don't touch the AEL/AFL button after that. And without MF assist on, I don't have to worry about nudging the ring. In decent light, though, I've taken to doing most street shooting with the LX5 - it has a much better hyperfocal setup (it actually shows you the focal range on screen as you adjust manual focus so you can set it to hyperfocal without doing the calculations) and it has an incredibly deep depth of field with that little sensor. Very quick shooting camera too. And it remembers its focus and zoom settings when you shut it down if you want it to. So I can set it up like I'm walking around with everything setup for hyperfocal at the 35mm equivalent and I know I can zoom out to 28 or 24 when the situation warrants and only make the hyperfocal range wider, and then back to 35 without having to touch the focus. And there's no focus ring to worry about.

-Ray

6. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    On the E-P2 you can set the FN button to the symbol that looks like this "IOI", and that allows you to turn off the LCD while your shooting with or without the EVF, you could try using it and see if that solves your problem.

7. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    My wife just told me she wants a new point and shoot, I'm going to take her to look at an LX5 today or tomorrow to see if she likes it. If we get one I would of course also slip it into my bag occasionaly when she's not looking. :)

-Nate

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I have my Fn buttn set to switch the LCD off, but when the EVF is plugged in it doesn't work.
    When the EVF is plugged in, you can have the EVF on OR the LCD on, but you can't turn either off.
    This is a bit of an unfortunate shortcoming, especially as the EVF is power hungry

9. Ollie43

Ollie43 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2010
    Turn off LCD

Thanks for the thought. I tried your suggestion, but haven't been able to turn it off completely. I will fiddle with it some more to see if I can get it to work.

10. joewoo

joewoo New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2010
    nice case man

11. justin28

justin28 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    agreed, beautiful case, and the lens is pretty sharp looking i must say also ;)

12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Yeah..what rubberband?

Was busy admiring the case/ wrist-strap combo. gordy's?

13. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    The case is an Aki-Asahi hand dyed, and the strap is a Gordy's. The strap and case match much better than it appears in those iphone pics.

-Nate

14. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I only got the Olympus 17mm f2.8 so I,

1. use OVF
    2. program Fn to switch off LCD
    3. set Lens Reset OFF
    4. set SF for AF mode
    5. program AEL/AFL to SF
    6. switch off Review Mode
    7. switch off MF Assist
    8. set Sleep mode to 3 minutes
    9. choose Aperture Priority
    10. set sub-dial to Fn dialing
    11. set aperture to f8
    12. use AEL/AFL to focus 11feet to get DOF of 5feet to infinity
    13. set ISO AUTO-SET to 200 to 800
    14. hip shoot 10 feet from subjects
    15. for OVF shoot, I select aperture and focus using AEL then immediately reset back to f8 @ 11 feet

15. justin28

justin28 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    The rubber band is a wide one, if you notice the top of the "2" on the lens where its labeled 20 mm is covered, then you should see it

16. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    There is a little atachment of lens cap (glued to lens cap) It comes with a thick band that goes around the lens. It works well to control focus. In theory, same thing as a band.

17. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson