Rubber band on lens for street shooting.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
When I'm Street Shooting I install the 20mm or 17mm and set my E-P2 as follows:

1) FN button switches me to MF
2) I install the EVF and turn off the LCD
3) I go into A mode set F8
4) AEL/AFL button is set to give me a single AF, I use it to focus on something 8ft away (6ft for 17mm) so I'm set at Hyperfocal distance
5) I start walking.

I got tired of bumping the focus ring and I didn't like tape on it so I found a black rubber band. It holds the ring tight enough that it doesn't move unless I really want it to, it can be removed and installed quickly, and it doesn't leave residue like tape does.

Here's a couple pics from my iphone of the rubber band installed:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5260039652/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">View attachment 154206"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5260039792/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">View attachment 154207"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5259431469/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">View attachment 154208"640" height="478" alt="" /></a>

Thought I'd post this in case anybody else is tired of the focus ring moving on them and hates the look of tape on their camera.

-Nate

Ollie43

Mu-43 Rookie
Turning off EPL-1 LCD

Is their a way to effectively turn off the EPL-1 LCD and keep it off?

I find that when I plug in the EVF2, that even though I press the button on the EVF to turn off the LCD, that frequently, the it changes from EVF back to LCD.

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
That is a very neat idea Mr Hahn,
Focus ring movement had been a quiet annoyance for me too!

Thanks for sharing

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I stopped using manual focus for street shooting on the m43 cams because of the nudge issue. I just use AF but decouple the AF from the shutter button. So I use auto focus to focus on something as close to the hyperfocal distance as I can work out and then just don't touch the AEL/AFL button after that. And without MF assist on, I don't have to worry about nudging the ring. In decent light, though, I've taken to doing most street shooting with the LX5 - it has a much better hyperfocal setup (it actually shows you the focal range on screen as you adjust manual focus so you can set it to hyperfocal without doing the calculations) and it has an incredibly deep depth of field with that little sensor. Very quick shooting camera too. And it remembers its focus and zoom settings when you shut it down if you want it to. So I can set it up like I'm walking around with everything setup for hyperfocal at the 35mm equivalent and I know I can zoom out to 28 or 24 when the situation warrants and only make the hyperfocal range wider, and then back to 35 without having to touch the focus. And there's no focus ring to worry about.

-Ray

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Is their a way to effectively turn off the EPL-1 LCD and keep it off?

I find that when I plug in the EVF2, that even though I press the button on the EVF to turn off the LCD, that frequently, the it changes from EVF back to LCD.
On the E-P2 you can set the FN button to the symbol that looks like this "IOI", and that allows you to turn off the LCD while your shooting with or without the EVF, you could try using it and see if that solves your problem.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
I stopped using manual focus for street shooting on the m43 cams because of the nudge issue. I just use AF but decouple the AF from the shutter button. So I use auto focus to focus on something as close to the hyperfocal distance as I can work out and then just don't touch the AEL/AFL button after that. And without MF assist on, I don't have to worry about nudging the ring. In decent light, though, I've taken to doing most street shooting with the LX5 - it has a much better hyperfocal setup (it actually shows you the focal range on screen as you adjust manual focus so you can set it to hyperfocal without doing the calculations) and it has an incredibly deep depth of field with that little sensor. Very quick shooting camera too. And it remembers its focus and zoom settings when you shut it down if you want it to. So I can set it up like I'm walking around with everything setup for hyperfocal at the 35mm equivalent and I know I can zoom out to 28 or 24 when the situation warrants and only make the hyperfocal range wider, and then back to 35 without having to touch the focus. And there's no focus ring to worry about.

-Ray
My wife just told me she wants a new point and shoot, I'm going to take her to look at an LX5 today or tomorrow to see if she likes it. If we get one I would of course also slip it into my bag occasionaly when she's not looking. :)

-Nate

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On the E-P2 you can set the FN button to the symbol that looks like this "IOI", and that allows you to turn off the LCD while your shooting with or without the EVF,
I have my Fn buttn set to switch the LCD off, but when the EVF is plugged in it doesn't work.
When the EVF is plugged in, you can have the EVF on OR the LCD on, but you can't turn either off.
This is a bit of an unfortunate shortcoming, especially as the EVF is power hungry

Ollie43

Mu-43 Rookie
Turn off LCD

On the E-P2 you can set the FN button to the symbol that looks like this "IOI", and that allows you to turn off the LCD while your shooting with or without the EVF, you could try using it and see if that solves your problem.

Thanks for the thought. I tried your suggestion, but haven't been able to turn it off completely. I will fiddle with it some more to see if I can get it to work.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
The case is an Aki-Asahi hand dyed, and the strap is a Gordy's. The strap and case match much better than it appears in those iphone pics.

-Nate

kiynook

Mu-43 Regular
I only got the Olympus 17mm f2.8 so I,

1. use OVF
2. program Fn to switch off LCD
3. set Lens Reset OFF
4. set SF for AF mode
5. program AEL/AFL to SF
6. switch off Review Mode
7. switch off MF Assist
8. set Sleep mode to 3 minutes
9. choose Aperture Priority
10. set sub-dial to Fn dialing
11. set aperture to f8
12. use AEL/AFL to focus 11feet to get DOF of 5feet to infinity
13. set ISO AUTO-SET to 200 to 800
14. hip shoot 10 feet from subjects
15. for OVF shoot, I select aperture and focus using AEL then immediately reset back to f8 @ 11 feet

justin28

Mu-43 Rookie
The rubber band is a wide one, if you notice the top of the "2" on the lens where its labeled 20 mm is covered, then you should see it

Yeah..what rubberband?

Was busy admiring the case/ wrist-strap combo. gordy's?

nishendu

Mu-43 Regular
There is a little atachment of lens cap (glued to lens cap) It comes with a thick band that goes around the lens. It works well to control focus. In theory, same thing as a band.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom