1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RTM

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mick / Lumix, Apr 29, 2011.

1. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    A question for anyone new to photography. How many of you really read the manual and practice the various functions / effects ? I wonder in this age of computers and forums if reading and TRULY trying to understand photography is a dying art. All too often the forums are full of questions demanding a simple direct answer to a narrow spectrum question. In the old days we learnt photography as a COMPLETE subject. It seems now that people are saying "My problem is x , give me a quick 5 second fix" Trying to isolate one tiny aspect is not the way to do it. Photography is like medicine. A cardiologist deals with your heart, but he / she needs a thorough understanding of all the systems of the body. Many things are inter connected with a knock on effect on each other.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Have to agree - I'm a manual reader but videos like those posted here some time ago are great too.

3. Learning how your equipment works - yes.
    Reading the manual - if I have to.
    Photography is like medicine - um, err, really?

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I learn from my mistakes ... sometimes.

G

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I do my best to avoid reading camera manuals.

6. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Only a masochist would try to study a digital camera manual.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I read the manual and the David Busch guide.

In the old day, you had a couple dials to set the exposure, and you bought some film, and, well, there ya go - you get what you get. These days, there are SOOO many settings that affect how the picture comes out that you need to know what all the settings do (and where they are). Seems more efficient to me to just read the manual than to wander through the menus wondering "what does that mean".

That said, I don't carry a copy of it around for reference.

8. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Amin, my comment started "anyone new to photography", you have a lot more knowledge than any newcomer. That said you never know now days what new feature (gimmick ?!) may be added to a camera !!

9. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Its not rocket science and the Panasonic manuals are very good !

10. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Exactly, it's not heart surgery either! I'd rather give the manual a quick flip, and then really learn the camera by experimenting with the settings for a few days. We aren't going to kill a patient by screwing around and saying "let's see what we find in here" when we start diving through menu's. But that's how I work, your experience may vary.

11. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    The manual is critical for the beginners and for the ones who switch from a system with a very different menu structure. Usually, the more xperienced user know what they look for and will consult the manual only if they cannot find it out or understand well by just fiddling with the menu. I must say that one Nikon-type "info" button could be very helpfull especially when trying to "translate" what you see in the menu in the "camera language" that you already are accustomed to.

12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I came to m4/3 from a p&s and I did read the E-PL1 manual, but I have to say that I understood the camera's functions much better after reading many helpful threads here and on DPReview.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Fair enough, I did RTM for my first interchangeable lens camera :smile:.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I make a lot of mistakes.

G

15. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    The GF1 was my first ILC, and I started by going through all the menus on the camera, and then going through the manual and filling myself in on the bits I didn't know from the menus.

Acer

16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I read the manual in fits and starts. Digest a little bit, try it out.

Rinse, repeat.

17. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm trying to learn from Gary's mistakes...

But there have been so many, it may take less time to read the manual...:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I keep the manual in my bag in case I want to do something I know the camera offers, but I never learned. I hate reading them, the broken English pains me.

I have found that a small wicker basket in the WC ensures manual reading "regularly".

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    >>How many of you really read the manual and practice the various functions / effects ? I wonder in this age of computers and forums if reading and TRULY trying to understand photography is a dying art.

Not sure I agree that "reading the manual" + "practicing functions/effects" = "understanding photography"

20. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Well its not going to make anyone worse off !!! or are you just trying to find fault for the sake of it ?