RSI - Repetitive Stress Injury

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use a Wacom tablet. Many people think its because I'm a designer/photographer and it is super duper handy for those types of programs. But the main reason is ergonomics and all my wrist pains disappeared once I made the switch a decade ago. Even if I'm surfing the internet, or working in an excel doc I still try to use the pen and tablet as an input device- it's just much more natural. I believe the mouse or trackpad and most variations are unhealthy.

And try signing your signature with a trackball :wtf:
It is hard enough with a mouse. For me, it is impossible with a trackball.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Same postural problems apply to those of us who use/need either bifocals or multigrind glasses.

I have bifocals for normal, sunglasses and long distance driving sunglasses (85% filter). I also have pink bifocals for night driving.

Separate glasses for computer (500-800mm focus distance) and art viewing (800-1600mm).

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
or with the extra costs of wider retooling of the current production line?

I use a Wacom tablet. Many people think its because I'm a designer/photographer and it is super duper handy for those types of programs. But the main reason is ergonomics and all my wrist pains disappeared once I made the switch a decade ago. Even if I'm surfing the internet, or working in an excel doc I still try to use the pen and tablet as an input device- it's just much more natural. I believe the mouse or trackpad and most variations are unhealthy.
Finally another lightpen partner in crime! For CAD work my lightpen is invaluable. I even found it to be of great help for adjusting the colour wheels option in Photolab and Acdsee.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
And try signing your signature with a trackball :wtf:
It is hard enough with a mouse. For me, it is impossible with a trackball.
Yes I feel like a caveman whenever I have to use a mouse. I definitely recommend trying a tablet- especially 'medium' sized. Like drawing you can use your elbow and larger movements instead of these tiny complex movements with your hand/wrist in an awkward position. Plus editing photos is so much better with a pen.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Same postural problems apply to those of us who use/need either bifocals or multigrind glasses.

I have bifocals for normal, sunglasses and long distance driving sunglasses (85% filter). I also have pink bifocals for night driving.

Separate glasses for computer (500-800mm focus distance) and art viewing (800-1600mm).

Yup, computer glasses here also.
Once I had to go to bifocals, I needed the computer glasses.

Years ago, I recall seeing my dept secretary looking up at the ceiling when using the computer.
That was because she had to use the bottom portion of her glasses to see the screen.

I only had one pair of single Rx computer glasses.
Because I quickly realized that the computer screen and stuff that I was reading on my desk were at two different distances.
I think it is 24 inches to the screen and 16 inches to paperwork on the desk. That difference was just enough to not let one Rx work. So ever since I have had computer bifocals. The top for the computer and the bottom to read stuff on the desk.
The computer bifocal is also why looking DOWN at a low monitor does not work, for me. I would have to really bend my neck to see out the top half of my glasses, or hunch over to lower my head to see a low monitor.

Talk to me about the pink bifocals for night driving. I have not heard of that.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
This might sound a bit weird but have you tried using different forms of input? It may not be the most efficient but the touch screen and pen input are a bit more dynamic and less repetitive. I use the touch screen on my laptop often to make my hands move and release tension, I do have a right-handed Logitech MX Ergo that's being used 80% of the time but I know that doesn't help everyone with RSI (it was a godsend for me when I finally pushed myself to get one and use it 2 years ago), I use a Microsoft Surface Pen for all the brush adjustments and anything that requires very high precision.

My posture is far from great, though I, finally, got my laptop on a wall arm bracket to get it closer to my eye level. The chair is a pretty crappy cheap office type, those ergonomic ones are so expensive it's difficult to convince even myself to get one.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The chair is a pretty crappy cheap office type, those ergonomic ones are so expensive it's difficult to convince even myself to get one.

Yup, office furniture has always been expensive.
I used to go to the 2nd hand office stores to look for "affordable" stuff for home. These were the guys that would buy the furniture of a company that was shutting down, or downsizing.
The discount office chains have brought the price of some of the office furniture down to a more "reasonable" level.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom