1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RRS Pen-F L-Plate & Grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MNm43, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    So has anyone picked up (or is planning to pick up) the RRS L-Plate and Grip?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BOP...a=1.130394824.632861408.1448372200&lang=en_US

The grip looks considerably larger than the Oly one, but interestingly it is removable. I have also heard complaints about access to the card being somewhat problematic with the Oly and was wondering if the RRS gives a little more room for opening the door.

Does anyone have one who can give their impressions?

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same questions.

3. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    That link didn't work for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Thanks. Looks really nice....time to rethink some support stuff. May be move my BH-55 onto my lighter tripod or sell it and go for the next one smaller...used to shoot all Nikon D-SLRs and now that I've changed fully to Pen-F and GX8, like to lighten up some.

I think I'll skip the L-Plate though, the camera is light enough to turn the base 90 degrees even with the 100-300mm Panasonic on it I think.

6. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I just can't seem to let go of my D750 but it has been six months since I took it out . . .so.
    I'm already committed to arca-swiss and was actually glad that Olympus came out with their plate. I have the BH-25 on a Gitzo traveler and it seems to support the M1 w/40-150 + MC without an issue. Lightweight is lightweight though and I wouldn't trust it in wind. I was thinking of getting the BH-30 if I ever bumped up to the P100-400 or O300.

I'm still curious about that grip . . .

7. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Just got mine today. I like it more than the Olympus ECG-4 grip. Unfortunately, it's just as difficult to remove the SD card with the RRS L-bracket/grip as it was with the Olympus ECG-4 grip.

The RRS L-bracket has two positions for the vertical (portrait) bracket depending on how much you use the swivel monitor. In the normal position, you can still swivel the monitor although it doesn't come out more than about 120 degrees. With the vertical bracket in its second position, you can freely move the monitor, but the bracket feels uncomfortable and looks unnatural on the camera.

The one feature I really like is that an Allen wrench is attached to the bottom of the RRS grip using two magnets, so it's always there when you need it. With the Olympus ECG-4 grip, I often found the screw attaching the grip to the PEN-F coming loose, and I didn't have the Allen wrench to tighten it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks. That's the information I was looking for. How is the grip in relation to the art knob?

9. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    The RRS grip has a contoured indentation for your middle finger as opposed to the ECG-4 grip which is slanted. I find the middle finger fits more comfortably next to and below the art knob with the RRS although I didn't have any issues with the ECG-4 grip and the art knob.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks.

11. wyluncustoms

wyluncustoms Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    wow, that looks amazing.. I really want that just for the look and added metal protection., but man $180!!! Might just wait a bit longer until other 3rd party companies start popping them out so they go down to 20-50$ I bought one very similar to (all 3 pieces base, grip, L bracket) for my OMD and it was only 25$ BUT, thanks for posting! its nice to know something like that is out there now.

12. cephotography

cephotography Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2016
    I have it and it is awesome!

27137328471_3ab1cb5349_h.
    Pen-F Noir
    by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Mind you, I only ordered the Grip+Plate which is $125 and less expensive than the Olympus grip. Much larger too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zx7dave

zx7dave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Honolulu
    Hi all, pic of RRS grip which I like much better than the Olympus one, but also if you are looking for something different I was able to successfully use a XZ-1 grip sold by Richard Franiec. As most of you know he has some awesome custom grips. Just thought I would share...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    That wrist strap is the icing on the cake. A beautiful piece of gear! Is that a Gordy wrist strap? I have a Gordy shoulder strap that looks just like your wrist strap (premium quality materials/construction).
    Bobby

15. cephotography

cephotography Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2016
    Yes, that's a Gordy. I've had that one for seven years. Only had to replace the ring on it this year. Cost me more in postage than parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England

Hi there. Interesting what zx7dave said about the XZ-1 GRIP. I am after something smaller than the current options and the Franiec grip looks ideal. I emailed Richard (who responded very quickly) and he said he had no plans to design a grip for the Pen F.
    It would therefore seem the options are limited .. How well does the XZ-1 grip fit on the PenF. Your photo does suggest a good fit, but how does it wrap around the side without hindering access to the port connections, can it be removed if needs be without damaging the leatherette cover on the body. Are there any gaps that would indicate that that its not built for the Pen F due to the body/shape being different. Any help would be good. Many thanks.

17. zx7dave

zx7dave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Honolulu
    Hi, I think it fits very well as if it was made specifically for the PEN F. I have included another pic. This again shows the XY-1 Grip, but also shows a modified Olympus grip. I cut the ends off so I can still have a nice ARCA base plate, but without the ugly grip portion. This is not a finished project yet, but it is already very useable as I can remove the ARCA portion whenever I do not need it, yet keep the Richard France grip on there permanently. In comparison you can see the RRS grip on the camera to the right...

_1010188.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Thanks for getting back to me on this matter, certainly offers a solution that maintains the cameras aesthetics. Not too keen on the bulky Olympus/RRS grip. I presume the grip fits securely to camera with no space or gap where it curves around the body. Thanks

19. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Well I got the walnut version of the J.B. Camera Designs Pro grip and it makes the camera more easy to handle with a bigger lens. I also got the walnut version of the Artisan and Obscura soft shutter release and flash cover. I didn't really like the feel of the Pen-F shutter button and I like this a lot better. I did some artistic (stretch) versions of it lol.

Oh and my $1.00 wrist strap kinda lets down the whole look. I'll have to look at those Gordy straps if they're not too much. I've never done this before, I just think the Pen-F is special :)

Pen_F_Tricked_Film_grain_small. Pen_F_Tricked_Old_small.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Gordy, among others, makes very nice leather wrist straps that are reasonably priced, IMHO. I received one as a gift from a close friend and fellow photographer and have been happy with it as I like wrist straps.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1