RRS L-Plate on E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bassman, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've used RRS L-plates on my cameras for several years now as I do a fair amount of tripod work using Arca-Swiss comparable clamps, and like the ability to shoot in portrait as well as landscape mode easily. First on my D7000, and then on my E-M5 with the added grip.

As I've now upgraded to an E-M1, I just installed the L-plate on it. For me, it makes a significant difference in handling (in addition to the L-plate functionality). Without the plate, only my middle two fingers could comfortably fit on the grip; my pinky didn't really fit and wound up either under the bottom or in space. The plate adds just enough height that my pinky fits well on the grip, and the three fingers are much more secure and comfortable than the two were.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I found the same and came up with something else that has made carrying the camera a lot better (last page): https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60834. RRS acknowledged my latest email with photos of what I've done and sent these off to their design team.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've used a small A/S clamp from Kirk or RRS to attach to the L-bracket, with my Black Rapid strap attached to the 1/4" thread on the clamp. RRS makes one (B2-FABN) which has a place to tie on a strap. This allows me to easily remove the strap and put it on another camera, or change from a sling to a wrist strap, or reposition it if I'm using a tripod. I'll usually clamp on the the upright part of the L-plate, which has a number of advantages: the weight on the tripod mount is perpendicular to the threads, I like the way the camera hangs (as you do), and I can place the camera ona table easily.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    ^ That's what RRS suggested initially, until I sent them photos of what I'd designed, as they were a tad confused.

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Does the plate of the L plate work equally with or without the grip on the EM-1? For many of the DSLRs there are different L plates depending on the body having or not having an optional battery grip installed.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  7. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    The RRS L plate and base plate only fit on a non vertical gripped E-M1. The L plate is used for portrait orientation but I find that the vertical grip makes it odd for battery replacement. In any case, the plates are still excellent as always and I'm a hand strap user so it just makes sense.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  9. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I installed the RRS L-plare on my E-P3 three years ago and also experienced a major improvement in handling. Similar to you, there was more to hang on to, easier to grab and my ring finger and pinkie finally had a home! Funny thing is I bought it for tripod use but non-trpod use was the main benefit. I stayed away from the E-P5 since RRS didn't design an L-plate for it.