1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review RRS L-plate for E-1MX

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Mack, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    After almost two months on pre-order from RRS, the L-plate assembly showed up. Fit and finish are fine as typical of RRS. They have the hex wrench for the tripod and removable and slide-able upright L-arm dovetail's locking screw stored in the bottom plate held with magnets.

Mounted on the body, it adds about 1/2" to the bottom, and about 5/8" to the side. All corners are curved so they don't cut into my hand. Since I have XL-sized hands, holding it in portrait mode isn't too bad and workable to get to the controls. When the L-plate is slid out on its dovetail to access the three rubber covers for the HDMI and USB, headphone, and microphone, the upright plate is sort of a nice hand-hold for the left hand much like a scuba camera housing that has the side grips.

The HDMI port might be accessible without sliding the plate out and bending down the rubber flap, but easier just to extend it to plug in a micro-HDMI cable. Given the battery slide's height for clearance, there was no other way they could have gotten around to clearing the rubber doors with the bracket. The upright also keeps the LCD from opening all the way out to the side too. You need to swing it maybe 90 degrees out from closed, and flip it over and then move it into the back recess.

The bottom Arca-Swiss dovetail does not extend fully across the bottom, maybe 3/4 of the way with the need to slide it in from the battery side if your clamp doesn't fully open. Battery tray is easily accessible no matter if the left upright is extended or not.

It has the military-style MagPul quick-connector hole on the left upright as well as the bottom of the base plate. I have mixed feeling about the MagPul as the connectors are heavy steel and on the Pen-F I almost broke the LCD when one higher on the strap swung around and hit it. No damage, but I opted to do what someone else on here did with a smaller strap made for cameras and one MagPul type connector instead of all the metal extra ones on the MagPul strap which was designed for rifles, but RRS is making stuff for them too now on their RRS Soar website.

You can see in the photo with the camera hanging by the Mag-Pul the second upper metal Q-D is at the edge of the picture. While I was setting up, the entire camera crashed about 3 feet to the carpeted floor. Appears no damage to the E-M1X, but you really have to tug on the Q-D to make sure the four balls are not resting on the lip of the hole or else "Boom!" :eek-31:

Here is a video that explains the MagPul strap and quick-connect that is part of most all RRS plates and tripods since 2016. Around 9:40 into it, he mentions "User error" where they can come loose if the thing isn't fully engaged as I did (ugh!). Sound of the E-M1X hitting floor is almost heart stopping!

I agree with him that the MagPul strap is a bit of overkill on a camera as the thing could be used as a car tow strap and not that comfortable given its bulk and its heavy weight. I put a fleece tube over mine as the thick and wide strap cuts into my neck. It's more serious military type of gear, imho.

After that, I put on my hand-strap as that is my usual carrying preference. The MagPul setup I'm not overly fond of yet, but to each their own.

Now that B&H Photo sells the RRS gear, the entire L-plate is available there for $180 (When they finally get stock.). From RRS direct off their site, it is $190. The base plate only is $90 from RRS direct. Since I bought the E-M1X, I've used a generic Arca-Swiss base plate only and it never bothered me being on the bottom, plus I had the hand-strap attached to it. However, it might take a while to adjust to the extra side piece now. Have to wait and see.

Only reason that I got the L-unit was so the small tripod would not fall over when the ball-head was swung to the side to hold the camera in portrait position. With the L-arm attached, it's better balanced over the center post and not so tipsy with the heavy camera and lens hanging off to one side.

Mack

Hanging-by-a-QD.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

HDMI-cable-and-L-plate-arm.jpg

L-plate-on-ball-head.jpg

Current-setup.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. arjubx

arjubx Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Lei
    Thanks for review. Can you take a couple pictures off your camera? The RRS website’s images are really tiny.

3. FirstAscent

FirstAscent Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Alaska/Oregon
    I have the RRS L-Plate for my em1mkii and it's amazing! Glad to hear you're liking it, but not surprised, it's RRS. The only thing to not like is the price haha.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Here's three photos of the L-plate for the E-M1X.

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. rocklogic

rocklogic Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    Thank you for the review! I'm now 60-40 on ordering this (shipping to Australia and the fact that our dollar is so weak at the moment makes up the 40%)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.