1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rough/sticky zoom ring on G5 14-42mm lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kungfujoe, Aug 11, 2013.

1. kungfujoe

kungfujoe New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Erik Harris
    I'm really liking my new G5 camera, but I'm finding the zoom ring on the included 14-42mm lens (H-FS014042) to be pretty frustrating. I has a surprising and variable amount of friction in it, so getting smooth zooms is pretty much impossible, which I suppose is okay for still photos, but if you want to change the focal length during a video, the result will be necessarily jerky. I also have Panasonic's 45-150mm lens (H-FS45150, and my previous primary camera is a DMC-FZ50 (internal zoom, so I admit that's kind of apples-to-oranges), so I know very well that Panasonic's zoom rings don't need to perform so poorly.

Is this behavior typical of the 14-42mm lens? Did they cheap out the production quality of the default lens with the rationale that many users would be buying other lenses anyhow? Or did I get one with a mild manufacturer's defect that might be eligible for replacement under warranty?

Alternately, is this a problem that goes away on its own with use (i.e. something that needs to loosen up over time)?

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That's just how they are unfortunately. It might smooth out a bit over use but it will never be buttery smooth like some of the better zooms.

It's a cheap plastic lens that comes with the camera to get you started. Although optically it's not bad.

3. FjT

FjT New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Just recieved my G5 kit and was going to ask the exact question. I got the kit with both the 14-42 and 45-150 and the latter just seems to built so much better.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree - that lens is just crap in terms of build quality - I was quite happy to have gotten about $72 after ebay fees for mine. Supposedly, the new kit lens is far better.

5. kungfujoe

kungfujoe New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Erik Harris
    The new kit lens? Meaning the one with the G6, or one that now ships with the G5? My G5 is only a month old, so I doubt they've upgraded its lens already. It looks like the G6 may ship with the H-PS14042 instead of the H-FS014042. The pictures on Amazon appear to show the H-FS014042 on the G6, but the description section only shows and mentions the H-PS14042.

That one had better be a better lens. The lens on its own lists for $400, vs the $200 price tag on the FS lens.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    On Panasonic's website, the G5 and GF5 kits are shipping with the OLD 14-42, while the G6, GF6, and GX7 kits are shipping with the NEW 14-42 version II.

7. kungfujoe

kungfujoe New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Erik Harris
    I see that (the tech specs are quite different - the newer lens is lighter, has fewer elements, fewer groups, another aspherical lens, etc), but I don't see a model number. Is there a model number that I can use to identify the new lens? Is it simply "H-FS014042-II" or something? If it's a minor update, and not the $400 lens, I might be able to ask Panasonic for an exchange. I submitted a support request to Panasonic, and they emailed me back asking me to call customer service, and gave me a ticket number. Maybe as a "squeaky wheel," they'll give me the version II lens as a warranty exchange if I can objectively identify it when I call them.

Strangely, the new lens appears to have a larger filter mount size (52mm vs. 46mm) and a larger overall diameter. I'd have expected those variables to remain constant.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    We just call it the 14-42 mkII around here. I doubt they would exchange it for that one if there is nothing other than sticky zoom action.