1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rotolight LED light for photography.

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by rav, Nov 18, 2015.

1. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    Is anyone using the rotolight LED lights for still photography ? How are the results ? Do these lights give full body illumination ? What had been your experience using these lights or any similar LED lights for still photography ?

2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Hi Rav.

I've demonstrated LED lighting for a manufacturer before, although with a much greater output than the rotolight.
    You will find you need to use a much higher ISO than usual, and you will be prone to blurring on moving subjects, as opposed to the motion stopping ability of flash heads.

Something to bear in mind.

3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    One thing to note is that LED lights with adjustable color temperature only give full output at a middle color temp. The Rotolight NEO gives 100% output at 4300K, 70% output at 5600K and 60% output at 3400K. So you might want to consider a fixed 5600K light and some CTO gels that you can tape over the lamp (the lamp doesn't get hot). That way you'd get 100% output at 5600K and a little less at 3400K. The fixed temperature lights usually cost less too.

4. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    Sir is high iso always required ? No way we can shoot at low iso ?
    Do you have any suggestions as which LED light maybe better ? So in your opinion the Rotolight might not be effective ? Iam completely new to all this hence was looking for guidance.

5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I would rather point you to an expert than recommend anything myself. I own a $35 Viltrox ring led that's only good for macro and an $800 Dracast tripod-mounted led light that works well for certain things indoors. That's really all I know about. So check out this guy's articles for expert advice, but keep in mind that these articles were written in 2012 and the technology has improved since then. Maybe someone else knows a newer source.

The Visual Science Lab.: LED Lighting. My first choice for studio still life projects.
    The Online Photographer: LED Lighting for Photography: Kirk Tuck

6. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    The light, whilst bright, is not as bright as the sudden intense burst from a flash head.
    With regards to the ISO, it does depend very much on what you are photographing. If there is little to no movement, slower shutter speeds and / or wider apertures may be suitable.

Honestly, if you can find any way to trial the Rotolight, such as hiring, I'd give that a go first. Unless you can find a photographer close enough you can borrow their's for a day or two.

Incidentally, only my solicitor calls me sir. Michael is fine ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1