1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rotating the manual foucs ring while not attached?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ballcall2, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    Can something happen to a lens if someone rotates the manual focus ring while the lens is not attached to the camera?

2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Nope! most lenses use 'focus by wire' which means when you turn the focus ring a signal is sent to the camera body wich then sends a signal to the lens focus motor. Some lenses that have ultrasonic motors for focusing such as SWD lenses by Olympus will focus without power.
    What were you thinking of in particular?

3. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    I am a novice in micro 4/3. I already bought the panasonic 14-45mm lens and the camera itself is on the way. A family member of mine mistakenly rotated the manual foucus ring (fortunately he didn't touch the glass). I just wanted to make sure that the lens will function properly when the I will attach it to my camera.

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. No harm will be done by anyone moving the focussing ring or by turning the zoom whilst the lens is not attached
    Someone touching the lens surface wouldn't be a serous matter either as long as they dont have anything on their fingers which is a solvent or something
    Get yourself a nice clean lens cleaning cloth for such eventualities and a 'lens pen' which is a permanently damp cleaning pen on one end and a lens brush on the other - they are a few pounds on eBay
    The best thing to do to protect your lens surface is to get a 52mm UV filter which simply screws into the thread at the end of the lens and gives you a glass surface to protect the lens against knocks or fingers
    If you do then knock the lens only the filter gets scratched or damaged at a replacement cost of only a few pounds rather than the lens getting ruined at considerably higher cost

One thing you should avoid though (although some seem not to worry) is changing lenses without turning the camera off. It is possible to cause problems if you change lenses whilst the camera is switched on. Don't panic if you forget though as I do sometimes as damage is still unlikely - just a precaution I always take
    Good choice of kit lens by the way - the 14 - 45mm is one of the best out there
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    Will a 52mm UV filter fit all the micro four thirds lenses?

6. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    This is exactly the reason that I like this forum so much- the people here are so nice and helpful. Thank you Rob! Altough I have lens hood, I think that I will buy a filter for the lens (and also one for my newly purchased 20mm)

7. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    No, each lens requires a different size of filter. For example, the Panasonic 20mm lens requires a 46mm if I am not mistaken.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes ... with the appropriate stepping rings. I settled on 52mm filters, as this size seemed a reasonable compromise (for me) between cost and availability:

52mm filters with a 58-52mm step-down ring work fine on my 40-150R with no vignetting. I use a 37-52mm step-up ring for 52mm filters on my 17/2.8, 45/1.8 and 14-42IIR. If I ever add a 9-18, 52mm filters will fit without a stepping ring. And of course, any of the 46mm lenses will accommodate 52mm filters with a 46-52mm step-up ring.

HTH :smile:

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Yes the 20mm does indeed need a 46mm filter - the filter size is always written inside the end of the lens - usually next to the front element - there is a little sign like a circle with a line through it which means diameter and a number next to it such as 52mm or 46mm in the case of the two lenses discussed here

Another excellent choice with the 20mm - although new to this you have obviously done some research
    What camera body are you waiting for ?
    Rob

10. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    don't want to hijack the thread but what UV filter size do I need for M.Zuiko 14-42mm MKI?

11. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    The best way to research this is to go to bhphotovideo.com, look up your lens and click on the "specifications" tab. There they will give you the measurement for filter thread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You don't need an UV on a digital camera unless you want to use it as a protective filter. To answer your question directly: 37mm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
  14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    That is correct, the MK I lens is 40.5mm, the MK II & MK IIR are 37 mm. There are two versions of the MK I...one has a metal mount the other plastic, but both are 40.5mm

• Like Like x 1
  15. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    Just had a little read about what you said and you're right! I don't need one! Was thinking of a CPL filter ( you know, for "pretty clouds") :biggrin:

16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just for the record, you can use a circular polarizer, but m43 only requires a linear polarizer. These are normally less money as well.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, my mistake, I forgot that there are two versions.

18. rtb001

rtb001 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Rochester NY
    See the post right about yours. The filter size is typically written on the front of the lens face, a number followed by a symbol (circle with line through it).

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Robstar1963 already aswered it: Look on your lens.

20. rtb001

rtb001 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Are all clear UV filters prone to flaring? There was visible flaring (not sure if that's the right word, but there is a semi-circular rim of light which moves/rotates when the camera is moved) on the LCD screen live view when I had the camera on in a low-light room with a lamp in the corner, which went away when I took the UV filter off my Oly 45mm, and this is with the hood in place.

My filter cost like $3 and was there only to protect the $300 lens against scratches. My question is would a more expensive filter be less prone to this effect. If so, would I have to move up to the $20-40 single/multi-coated filters?