Rosebush Quarry, Pembrokeshire, Wales.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
For over 40 years we have been driving over the Preseli mountains, more often than not shrouded in mist.
Occasionally, beyond a conifer plantation, glimpses could be seen of some old quarry workings. but we've never ventured there, believing it to be a grim, barren place.
Recently, the trees have been harvested and views opened up and a few friends have told us that although on private land, people have been wandering around taking in the "atmosphere".

Last month, one friend suggested a photo-shoot there, with a black and white theme, so I took my recently acquired Yashica TLR and Olympus OM2 and shot a couple of films.
I was slightly disappointed with the results, though I was pleasantly surprised with the surroundings.
Having discovered that there is a caravan and touring park alongside, I persuaded my other half that we should have a few days cycling around the countryside, suggesting that she might like to view the quarry herself. We were blessed with really good weather and enjoyed wandering around for a couple of hours in stifling heat.

This time I decided on a digital approach and most shots were taken with my E-M5 mk ii with the 12-45 f4 Pro lens.
I warn you now, this thread is image heavy, so sit back and hopefully enjoy a short tour with me.

2109-13 EM5:2-12:45.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2109-14 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

I noticed one small side path that I'd missed on my first visit, so ventured up to see this.
2109-17 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

I thought myself brave to descend the slight slope to the entrance.
2109-20 TG5.jpg

But on venturing inside for only a few yards, discretion overtook any thoughts of valour when I saw the state of the supporting timbers, though I have heard that one can proceed right through.
2109-21 TG5.jpg

I think the exit of the tunnel emerges somewhere here, but that didn't look too safe either.
2109-25 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

Moving further along, it's nice to see that nature is finally getting a hold, evidenced by the colourful heather and the trees that must have seeded over the last few years from the plantation.
2109-29 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

2109-30 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

Half way around, one pool has been formed, with brave and hardy folk willing to swim in the refreshingly cold water.
I'll confess again, I'm an absolute coward, and given the history of people drowning in flooded quarries and not knowing how deep the water is, there was no way I was going for a dip.
2109-32 EM5:2-12:45.jpg
2109-33-EM5:2-12:45.jpg

I was quite content to study the rock formations and amaze at the bleached grasses growing on the peaks and troughs.
2109-43 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

At the top of one of the higher peaks is the only existing piece of "machinery" left standing, though some preferred a sitting position.
2109-49 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

And even there, tucked away on the rear was an example of how nature can take hold in surprising locations.
2109-54 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

It's not just the higher forms of plant life that were thriving either, though I'd need an expert with me to identify these mosses, lichens and what have you.
2109-61 EM5:2-12:45.jpg
2109-62 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

Turning round to retrace out steps, gives a closer view of the main terracing that we have been viewing from afar in the past.
2109-64 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

Back in the village we came upon the small cottages originally built for the workers.
The quarry was operational from the mid 1800's to the end of the century and is modest in size compared to the famous slate quarries of North Wales, some of which employed 3,000 men supplying roofing slates all over the world.
2109-65 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

And the name Rosebush?
That seems quite odd, given the bleakness of the surroundings.
It would appear that it's a derivation form Rhos-y-bwlch, in Welsh, translating as a gap in the moorland or mountain pass.

Last edited:
Real Name
Richard
Great write up Brian and very nicely photographed.
That adit looks seriously suss and I'm glad you chose the better way!
I'd imagine your wife was similar thoughts!

Nature certainly reclaims when allowed.

Interesting here, working quarries are some of the last repositories for remnant native plants as there are places that never get disturbed and left totally to itself.
Not sure how places like yours fare in that light.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
To all of you that have responded to this thread, I sincerely want to thank you very much.
I have been astonished at the level of interest, as I actually thought it might bore the pants off the lot of you. :eek-31:

As I've said many times, I don't consider myself a photographer of any merit, just a happy snapper.
What technicalities I lack, I try and enhance with a bit of history or a back story, which I am glad to hear some of you appreciate. ;)

So, thanks once again for replying, I am truly humbled. :bowdown:

Brian.

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wales has the most amazing scenery. I’d love to spend more time there.

I must admit I’d have been tempted by the tunnel until I saw those timbers…

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom