Rose

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Aniseedvan, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    The mild autumn we've had here in the UK has muddled a few of our plants. A rose we planted this year has decided to flower - it's December next week, but it's not listening!

Anyway, I've tried a couple of different B&W conversions, I'm still relatively new to B&W, I'm all eyes and ears how to improve!

(oh and these with the lovely new 45mm :biggrin:)

This first one I used the pop up flash to help out with the fact this part of the garden gets no sunlight at this time of year. In colour it looks obviously "flashed". I'm hoping black & white tones it down a little?

6401815619_5b0c48f50c_z.
    BWRose by Silverstone, on Flickr

6401828925_650af0e73a_z.
    BWRose240553 by Silverstone, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I know what you mean about roses blooming in December. Our plant life here in Southern California is constantly out of whack because of the unpredictable weather.

I like the second image. The contrast with the dark background makes the flower stand out, especially in B&W. The first image is a little underexposed now. To overcome the low ambient light, I would suggest using a tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Thanks for your comments, the first is using the underexpose -1 in silver efex, I might redo using neutral instead..
    I will be honest, I grabbed five minutes whilst I was working at home and the kettle was boiling for a cuppa! But yes a tripod would be a much better idea...

4. There's something about taking away the colour from a rose that gives it a completely different look and meaning. Still beautiful, though.

• Like Like x 1