1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

rookie lens ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scottyboy, Nov 23, 2011.

1. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    my new lens came today oly.17mm ,i already have the pany. 20mm but someone had the 17mm used on amazon for $110.00 + $7.00 ship.thought the price was a good deal and i like deals.lens seems to be great shape.so is this something most of you wouldn't do if you already had the 20mm and since 17mm and 20mm are so close to each other? or was the price to good to pass? thanks

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    to me the focal lengths are too close together to keep them both. I can always take a few steps up or a few steps back. But I enjoyed shooting with it when I had it. It's a very natural focal length (at least for me).

• Like Like x 1
  3. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    had both, sold the 20mm. i like the 17mm rendering better

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    This is just my personal opinion (and everyone is different) I also had both and I sold the 17. It was a nice lens, it had good color and is a great bargain but nowhere close to the level of lens the 20 is. If it could only keep on lens it would be the 20. Probably the favorite lens I have ever had with a DSLR (the Olympus 4/3rds 14-54 being a close second).

• Like Like x 1
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    the 14mm will be a better pair to the 20mm imho.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Price is very good. I like them both for different reasons; each has a different character that seperates them further than a mere 3mm. As always, YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There is no "correct" answer. Every user is different. If you have a use for both lens, then more power to you. If not, sell the one you don't use. These aren't Pokemon cards, you don't get some prize for collecting more of them. If you aren't going to use the lens, then the price wasn't too good to pass. However, this was a really cheap way to try it out. If you don't like it, you can sell it in the classifieds section or on Craigslist for what you paid, which means it cost you no money to learn this lesson! That's a much better value than, for example, the many people who buy themselves a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D system for $5,000+ and then decide that it was too much for them.

• Like Like x 1