Roll forward to 2014

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Ok a bit if fun.
    Lets roll forward to Aug 2014, what do you think the m4/3 cameras etc will be like? This isn't a wish list but a guess into what the future will really produce.
    What specs will the cameras have etc?

Maybe in 2 years time this thread can be dug out and see who's prediction was closest.

2. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I would see at least a decent jump in sensor size and body size reduced again to the point that it can be. Reason I say can be is because of lens sizes.
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    It would be hard to call them micro 4/3 cameras with a larger sensor. Undoubtedly there will be more APS-C and hopefully affordable full frame sensor based cameras to come but I'm making investments in glass that I want to use on this system.

I hope two years from now we see a lot more glass selection, higher ISO performance, lower ISO numbers. Maybe some way of having an optical viewfinder. Pro type offerings in the m4/3 realm sound like they will be here by then.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    One cannot increase the sensor size for m43. If you increase the sensor size, the image circle becomes larger than what the lens can do.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    My WISHFUL look into the future:

7-14 f/2.8
    35-100 f/2.8
    17.5 f/1.4
    12-60 f/2.8-4

A NEX-7-like body made by Panny

ISO 100! (yeah right...)
    MP race will probably be around 18-20 MP
  6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Crystal ball time:

1. By then, there will be at least two iterations of "pro level" :43: cameras; e.g. GH5, E-M9.
    2. New sensors, perhaps with tech currently in research, shall emerge. These will enable at least 2 stops better DR across the ISO range, as well as another 2 stops improvement in noise.
    3. EVFs will be at least two generations ahead of today; nobody shall miss an OVF.
    4. AF shall be by an AI-driven combination of CD-AF (with advanced motion recognition routines) and in-sensor closed loop PD-AF. The AI will use them in tandem to provide the best solution in terms of speed+precision.
    5. Lenses for the system will cover each and every niche and price range.
  7. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

If sensor size isn't moving then your typical upgrades. Most already mentioned, mind you I'm already very pleased with current size. Give me a pancake 1.2 or 1.4 lens. Pancakes!!!!!!!
  8. TDP

TDP Guest

2.8 zooms, 1.2 - 1.4 AF primes, both weather sealed.

Sensor size will be the same but density will increase, improving DR and reducing high ISO noise.

AF, FPS and EVF will improve but not much.

Leica will release a m43 body and a few more lenses in conjunction with Panasonic but some will only have "Leica" on the lens.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If AF (C-AF in particular) and the ability of EVFs to deal with rapid movement, especially in low light, don't improve significantly, I don't think I'll have any incentive to upgrade beyond an EM-5 / GH2 level body. DR and noise are more than "good enough" for almost anything I'll do with the cameras. Yes, clean ISO 6400 shots would be nice, but the reality is I rarely, very rarely, need that kind of speed. I don't really find 16 MP to be a limitation for me, either.

For me, the real limitations of current m43 cameras have to do with motion, both in terms of AF and EVFs.
  10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Don't get what you're saying here. Four thirds effective sensor area will be exactly the same (or we are not talking :43:). But recent cameras, such as the RX-100 have put the fallacy of "small sensor/low IQ" to sleep, once and for all. My (highly debatable, I know) assumption is that, even today, Sony could produce a 20Mp :43: sensor package with noticeable improvements over the one in the OM-D.