1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokkor Lens recommendations?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by aznmochamike, Jan 4, 2011.

1. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    Hi every1... my name is Michael and I am just starting out with photography. I have been using the GF1 with the 20mm 1.7 lens for the last half year and wanted to try different lenses since this is a 4/3rds system. I was going to go with the rokkor lens because I was looking at reviews and liked their coloration that they gave off and also their bokeh. I had a list of what I was going to get and so if anyone has any recommendations as to why or why not on which ones can you let me know? I also wanted to stick with the rokkor because I didnt want to have to buy different adaptors for them.

Minolta rokkor 58mm 1.2 or Minolta rokkor MC 58mm 1.4
    I cant decide between the 2. From what I have read, the 1.2 is better but then very hard to MF even with a EVF on the camera. Does anyone else have that issue?

Minolta rokkor 50mm 1.4
    Mostly for portraits along with the 2 above

Minolta rokkor 50mm 3.5 macro
    Just for Macro fun =)

Thanks in advance!!!

2. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    I have the 50/1.4 & a lowly 50/1.7 and the latter is on my camera 99% of the time. Unless you are doing SUPER low light stuff, the 1.7 more than holds it's own.

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The cost difference between the 58mm f/1.2 and the 58mm f/1.4 has generally been huge (like 4x.) I'd find it hard to justify spending that much for a half stop at the low end, unless I knew that it had significantly better IQ, as well.

The 50mm f/1.4 is a really nice lens that can be had for under $100 in excellent condition. I also highly recommend the 85mm f/2.0 MD, if you want a longer lens at some point.

4. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    I don't have neither but the one without MC or PF is reputed to be the best. Apparently it's sharp starting from 1.2

Rokkor 58/1.2 brillant lens::Manual Focus Lenses

Caveat: (1) that guy is an excellent photog, most of his pics are outstanding regardless of equipment! (2) the images in that link were taken using a ff cam with lower pixel density than m4/3.

I have this one, it's my most used 50mm. But I mostly used it at f/2.2 and smaller.

I use this one a lot too, mostly for photography items for sale or scanning pages from magazines and books.

5. I'm not so sure that the 50mm and the 58mm are that far apart in focal length that you could justify getting both (unless you are a lens hoarder, in which case it's okay :smile:).

6. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I've owned all the lenses you mention. The 50mm macro is wonderful, easy to hand-hold even with the extension tube as it's so light (I've got the most recent version). The 58mm f1.2 I found too heavy on ยต4/3, I've now got the most recent 50mm f1.2 which is much better balanced. No problems focussing if you've time to use the magnifier - you can set a short-cut on the GF1 so that the magnifier becomes one-touch even with legacy lenses. 50mm f1.4 also an excellent lens. 58mm f1.4 again a bit heavier and (if I remember rightly) doesn't focus as close as the 50mm. Enjoy experimenting! :smile:

7. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    i was thinking of getting an EVF so i can balance it towards my head to focus better. and also the 58mm 1.2 i heard has better bokeh then the 50mm 1.2 Is there a clear difference in the 2?... or is it just a rumor?

8. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    and i i go for the 50mm1.2 should i even consider the 50mm1.4?... bohek would be better on the 1.2 but is it also much harder to focus since the aperture is wide open?

9. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    It should be easier to focus at lower f-number. But 1.2 vs 1.4 is not a big difference-- only half a stop.

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The 50mm f1.4 MC Rokkor is a great lens the f1.2 58mm fetches very high prices on Ebay.
    Some say the above 50mm f1.4 is sharper prices are far more affordable anyways

11. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    yea i was thinking of sticking with the 50mm 1.4 but considering if i should get the 58mm 1.2 because i love she soft portraits it can do and also the bokeh of it... i see it for about 350-400 on fredmiranda or craigslist sometimes...

12. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have the MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4, MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4, MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4, and the MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4 is the best of them wide open. It has almost no CA, and it's sharp in the middle and still fairly sharp in the corners. At F4 it's very sharp.

I also have the MD 85mm F2, and it is ultra sharp!!

13. Priannet

Priannet Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 26, 2010
    Indeed the 58mm is pleasantly soft wide open and is well suited for portraits.
    Enclosed are some random pics I took with this lens on the GF1. Nothing artistic, just testing out the lens. Focussing was done on the LCD (magnified view). I think the bokeh is quite good too :smile:

Lamp_1_2.jpg

Flower_1_2.jpg

Truck_1_2.jpg

Regards,

Priannet

• Like Like x 1
  14. frankiedeanjnr

frankiedeanjnr New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    Salema, Portugal
    Iv'e just purchased 3 lenses from ebay, to use with my Panasonic lumix G2. Minolta rokkor 50mm / 1.2, Minolta rokkor 35mm - 70mm macro zoom & a Tokina 70mm - 210mm. Also got the adapter M4/3rds to MD.
    I have had superb results with all 3 lenses. Definitley would get the 50mm/1.2 it's a brilliant lens, great D.O.F, Bokeh etc. But remember they only work in manual mode which is even better. Half the fun is taking a chance on some of these lenses. Hope this helps..... Good luck
    Adam.

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    So would recommending something like the Rokkor M 40/2 be too crazy? I have seem some lovely examples of images taken with it and it's sibling the the Summicron 40/2.

16. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not crazy, but definitely a different discussion. Yes, it's made my Minolta, but being an M-mount lens, it requires a completely different adapter to use. It also makes it very expensive, if you can even find one.

I've actually been keeping my eye open for one, because the Panny 14mm f/2.5 has gotten me thinking of my GF1 more in terms of a CL/CLE type camera (though, obviously not a rangefinder.) I've only seen one that was part of a $1000 CLE package.

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've seen the M-Rokkors (and the Summicron 40/2) got for $400 - $500 depending on condition. That said, it is a more expensive option.

18. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    So I got the 58mm 1.2 as intended but turns out there was some stuff in the internal lens that I had someone remove or blow out so it is clean now. But then he told me that the pin on the back side of the lens for the diaphragm is stuck since it was supposed to be spring loaded and open n close with every shot on a minolta srt camera. Now I'm stuck with this lens. I ordered the adapter and hope that the gf1 and the lens doesn't "talk" to each other and so that part inthe lens wouldn't matter at all if it didn't work.

19. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Does the aperture open and close when you rotate the aperture control ring? If so, then it doesn't matter if the spring-loaded pin doesn't work. That was designed so that the aperture could be controlled from the camera itself; it's not used with the :43: adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  20. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    I'm glad to hear that because the aperture ring does close and open manually very smoothly... the person who cleaned it out for me did a very good job at putting it back together.. I guess i just cant wait until my adapter comes this week to try it out... now all i need is an evf... sold out everywhere though =( and i dont wanna pay so much more for ebay's