1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rokinon vs. Panasonic Fisheye lens

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Will Karstens, May 20, 2016.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Simply,

Are there any draw backs? The insight from a good photographer is the Rokinon is a good value, albeit a manual focus. The two Panasonic lenses that I have leave me with no issues. Of course, dollar value of the Rokinon is very appealing - but is there a draw back?

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    I leave the Rokinon basically at infinity and shoot away. If you really want to work closer with people ( less than 10inches/25cm), it becomes awkward with both lenses as you put it right in the other person's face, but with the Panasonic you get AF and are out of their faces within a second ;)
    here are some charts for the Rokinon Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye (MFT) - Review / Lens Test
    I agree with the review that it is pretty sharp in the center and I enjoy it very much.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If I wanted an AF fisheye lens I'd go for the Olympus f1.8. Very sharp, AF and f1.8. I've read reviews of the Panasonic and it doesn't seem any better than the Rokfish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Rokinon is really easy to work with and it may even be a little sharper than the Panasonic. Infinity focus works for most things, so MF is easy. But if you really wanted auto aperture and auto focus, then you have to decide how much it is worth to you. Those are going to be the only advantages.

I got a used ROkinon for under $200, so it was an easy choice for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Are the Rokinon and Samyang one and the same? I'll have to look at the Olympus, I hadn't considered that. They're interchangable, correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    I believe rokinon Samyang and bower are the same company

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, any micro-four-thirds lens can be used on any camera. Olympus lenses on Panasonic cameras and vice-versa.

As for the 7.5mm fisheye, Samyang Optics in S. Korea makes the actual lenses and several other brands distribute them around the globe. Rokinon is the most popular distributor of Samyang lenses in North America. They are the same thing, just branded differently. Some of the more popular Samyang designs (like the 85mm f1.4) you can find in about 10 different brands, but the lens is the same.

Here you can see B+H sells both Samyang and Rokinon and they are obviously the same thing. Sometimes one brand is cheaper, so that's the one to get: 7.5mm fisheye | B&H Photo Video

• Like Like x 1
  8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I hardly ever shoot my Rokinon at anything other than just off infinity and at ƒ5.6/ƒ8. Exceptions are when you want to be right on top of something (and I mean right on top of something), or if I'm shooting something sufficiently far away that I don't need the added depth of field from a smaller aperture and could benefit from some more light, like a high ceiling in a large, open space. Focus-peaking keeps a check on things and is handy of you have it. Also, Bower is another brand that you might see for this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Thank you!

• Like Like x 1