Rokinon/Samyang 12mm F2 Review: First Impressions Review and Comparison with Olympus 12mm F2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by napilopez, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    For "wide on a budget", I'm far more interested in the Pano 14mm + DMW-GWC1 ... which is effectively 11mm.

The Pano 14mm is a useful and underrated gem.

Adding a ~$100 wide convertor, that seems like a no-brainer to me. And, I assume, AF would still work?

Would love to see a comparison between this and the Oly 12mm. I'm sure the Oly would smash it, bit maybe slightly less value and usefulness.

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Do not forget that that Kowa has introduced new Manual focus M43 lenses, the Kowa Prominar 8.5mm, 12mm, and 25mm. Now the 8.5mm f/2.8 (T3) is interesting because unlike the others it is not duplicated in their 4/3 " XC series C-mount lens line as shown on their website. So it's probably a new design, just for the ยต4/3 mount. Also it is an f/2.8 while the 12 and 25 are f/1.8 lenses. Another thing about these lenses are that they are all designed for a 4/3 size sensor too. I have a feeling that these will be pretty sharp as well as expensive tho.
    there is an older thread about it here.. but the first link is the most recent news which I could find, showing the 8.5mm lens on an E-M1. Also there is a Japanese site talking about those lenses which are supposedly available now .. but I have no idea how to navigate that site.

3. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cameramaven

Cameramaven New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2014
    St. Paul MN
    Barbara Dodge
    Nice comparison. In the first set the Samyang definitely was sharper. Maybe an artifact of reproduction but for the difference in price I'll live with it.Thank you

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've recently picked up an Oly 12 and it's a really sharp lens, even wide open. On my copy, it's evenly sharp across the frame. Given how small and light it is and that it's fully native with AF, Exif etc, I'm not convinced that the Sammy makes a lot of sense unless the cist difference is paramount.

6. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    This Samyang/Rokinon 12mm seems to be a decent performer. I was looking for a used black Olympus 12mm, but this might be a good alternative. I do see a lot of CA and vignetting though.

7. Hal Knowles

Hal Knowles Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 3, 2015
    Florida
    Hal Knowles
    Hey everyone, thanks for the awesome feedback in this thread! If aperture speed is less of a concern than edge to edge performance, how does the Panasonic 12-32mm fit into this comparison at 12mm?

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The 12-32 is decent at the edges natively but the real problem is the barrel distortion at 12mm. If you correct this, the corners naturally suffer a bit, even when stopped down. Samyang lenses, on the other hand, are always well corrected optically.

9. Hal Knowles

Hal Knowles Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 3, 2015
    Florida
    Hal Knowles
    Thanks wjiang! I have a P12-32 pancake zoom now and I'm leaning toward just sticking with it. But a couple of nice bargains on the O12 prime are floating around in the Buy/Sell forum. Happy holidays!

10. Sodabiscuit12345

Sodabiscuit12345 Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2017
    Again with reviving a thread...Can you tell I'm new to M43 and reading everything I can?!

Will this Oly 12mm, or any Oly lens really, have autofocus when paired with a panasonic camera? (G7, Gh4 to be more specific).

thanks

11. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Yes, all Olympus autofocus lenses will autofocus on Panasonic cameras.

• Like Like x 1