Rokinon 9mm f8.0 ultrawide..anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WithOpenedEyes, Apr 13, 2015.

1. I currently have the Oly 9mm BCL, and while it's cheap, fun, sharp enough till the outer edges,, make that tiny, it's a little clunky on the focusing mechanism. The Rokinon uses a helicoid arrangement. Both are fixed aperture..I can deal with that part. Price is a little higher, but not much. So I'm curious to see if it's IQ is as good or better. Nice to have something in the just-short-of-fisheye category. I love what you can do with the BCL, with it's 140 degree AOV. With regular focusing mechanism, I'm pretty sure the Rokinon would be a natural choice..especially if they've worked magic with it like their other wideangles.
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hmm, that's interesting, although the Amazon reviews didn't seem too hot on it. Definitely not up to the 7.5mm quality level. It sounds more like a toy lens.
  3. Weird, but I looked on there yesterday and found them for sale, but there weren't any reviews. Must have been looking at a different seller. Doesn't sound any better than the BCL unfortunately..maybe worse. It's not easy finding good alternatives in the 120 to 160 degree AOV range that are affordable. Either have to go right to full fisheye or pony up for a zoom. Oh well...back to the drawing board.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Might as well go right to the Samyang 7.5mm/3.5, which is an excellent lens. This 9/8 is a fisheye lens similar to the BCL 9/8, which means you get a wide FOV along with fisheye distortion, but not wide enough to really get the full fisheye effect, so sort of a no-mans land really. The Samyang is a really sharp lens so it holds up to de-fishing quite well, which means you could defish it get the rectilinear look and still probably be noticeably wider than either of the 8/9mm lenses and with better quality.

This thing looks like one of those cheap screw-on fisheye adapters, which are generally terrible quality. I assume its something like that but with a few extra lens elements so it can focus to infinity without a regular lens behind it.

If you want to get really wide without going for a fisheye, you could get a sigma 8-16mm and put it on a focal reducer, that will give you a ~5.75mm rectilinear lens, which is very, very wide probably in the 115-120 angle range. Won't be small or cheap though. The Panasonic 7-14mm is also quite wide at 112 degrees.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. Yup..thought I'd found something reasonably priced that could possibly be a little better than the BCL. Guess not. All the other non-fisheye ultrawide alternatives are just a little out of my range. Seems like the Samyang 7.5 is probably the answer. One of the things that I like about the BCL is that the distortion isn't crazy..some curvature but rather reasonable. After taking a look at some of the images over in the Samyang 7.5 thread, I'm thinking that this little guy might do what I want. Just have to be very careful about holding the camera and watching the lines in the some in camera defishing. But also have the option to get crazy with it. And the price is workable.
  8. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    The BCL distorsion is reasonable because the field of view is limited.
    If you crop an image from the Samyang 7.5 mm to match the BCL field of view, you will end up with the same curvature.

If you have Lightroom you can use some profiles to get a stereographic projection from the 7.5 mm Samyanf, and I find it very natural (you still have distorsion). It's my default setting with it.

When I went to m43, the 9mm BCL was on my top lens list because of its size and because of Robin Wong's review (that showd that you could take interesting pictures with it).
    However, the BCL was out of stock everywhere so I bought the 7.5 mm Samyang.
    It's a great lens. It feels good, the manual focus is easy, and the images are sharp unless you want to stop down too much (sometimes it's necessary to get some nice sun shapes).
    It's very fun to use.
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Honestly, the 7.5mm Samyang is a superb lens. If you need an ultrawide on the cheap, that's what I'd recommend, almost always.

I ended up picking up an old 11-22mm for $200 for some architectural photography I wanted to do this summer, but 11mm is not a true ultrawide when you get down to it, and it's a much, much bigger lens (balances pretty well on the GX7, though, to my surprise!). I think I may actually prefer being limited to 11mm when I'm not using the 7.5mm FE. It'll keep me disciplined a bit in making good images rather than relying entirely on the crazy perspective. Even with a rectilinear lens, the 7-9mm range always ends up looking outrageously distorted because it's such an unnatural FoV, unless it's a landscape where you don't have perspective landmarks (in which case the 7.5mm usually does very well, also).