Rokinon 85mm f1.4 MFT - $199

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Jul 3, 2014.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For those who jump on this, you might consider getting an SLR mount version and a $20 adapter. The cost is slightly higher but the lens will be much easier to use on other camera mounts, or sell later on, and the optics are identical.

3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I tried the Cine version of this lens in Nikon F mount with an adapter to m4/3. It was not bad, the price was certainly not bad, but it seemed a bit heavy for the "balance" I prefer. Optically it was pretty good but with a tendency to flare a bit wide open. Night scene testing looked pretty good and I could have worked with it but in the end I sold it after just under a month and made myself "afford" the Oly 75mm.

I found an "open box" special for $720 and that helped. The Oly is a bit sharper wide open and I do prefer the "color personality" of the image tones in all situations. However the Rokinon would have worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree with this. I own it in Nikon mount, and use it on Nikon DSLRs, Nikon 1 with an FT-1 adapter, and Micro 4/3 with a FOTGA adapter, and 4/3 with an adapter as well. I paid $189 for a mint used one in Nikon mount.

5. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have a Nikon 85 f1.8d which is smaller and lighter than rokinon f1.4. Is it possible to get an adapter to use the Nikon on my e-pm2? Other than autofocus, do I lose out on metering and sensor shift stabiliser?

6. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Since it has an aperture ring, any Nikon to m4/3 adapter will work. Metering is fine because the sensor determines the exposure, and the IBIS will work if you put in the focal length of the lens. Go into IBIS in the SCP or wherever, press info, and then you can rotate the control wheel to dial in the focal length. Put in the ACTUAL focal length (85mm), not the 35mm equivalent (170mm)

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

This is great advice, and don't forget another advantage of getting an SLR mount version , is that you can use a speed booster too.

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Good point above you could do that and your 85mm x0.71 focal reducer will make it a 60mm with a speed boost of one stop to f1!
    From all the reviews i read about it a while back said it needed stopped down and it had a flaring issue.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Depending on the optical quality this actually a competitive price compared at a legacy lens via adapter. Either an OM or FD will cost at least this and as a bonus you get EXIF data (I presume) and a decent hood built in.

Interesting to see stuff like this emerging :)

10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I've got a thread running for the Samyang Cine version. I'm using it on a EF mount adapter.
    It's reported that the Cine and Photo versions are essentially the same, but i'm certainly finding the Cine version works well wide open and just gets better as you stop it down a little.
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=68902&p=688751#post688751

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    yes, I did see that however that doesn't show me anything of how I'd use the lens for they were all macro sorts of shots.

I tend to use my 70mm lens as a portrait tele and so end up taking head and shoulder shots (or in closer). More like this

15150779681_0c83a6ba32_c.

and

14967076400_ff112b4967_c.

I am interested in the lens as I currently am using a Pentax system 110 70mm f2.8 lens and for available light (I dislike flash) would be interested in seeing if the extra few mm and the extra brightness helps.

It would be interesting to see that lens examined in that sort of use and with f1.4 vs f2.8 shown

If I had access to one I'd probably throw something together like this blog post:
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/10/portrait-lenses-5d-vs-gh1.html

also the Pentax 110 lens is super compact

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/newer-bigger-better-faster.html
    P1030529.

being able to see how the Rokinon 85mm looked in comparison to other more garden variety lenses in such a blunt way would be ideal.

pitty ACT is so far from The Goldie :)

12. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well i haven't had anyone to try portraits on yet, the mrs hates her photo taken.
    I did grab some bird photo's this afternoon, all taken wide open as a test, it was overcast as well. using peaking for focus assist makes life easier.
    15151468231_ce5c554f8d_z. _9067255 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

The pelican is a good approximation for a child. This lens is sharp when you nail the focus even wide open, check out the full size image
    14967709699_745b9a8a90_z. _9067230 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  13. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    FYI: Deal is from July and is no longer available.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Douh!

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    The pelican is a good shot too :)

We get a few here on the Goldie too ;-)

Thanks for posting them. I will keep an eye on eBay now. I see that the lens is a bit more chunky than my Pentax lens , it is after all a full frame lens if I understand things correctly.