Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Dec 23, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It looks like Rokinon has released a version of their 85mm portrait lens for mirrorless cameras, including MFT:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018527-REG/rokinon_85m_mft_85mm_f_1_4_as_if.html

I had a copy of the older 4/3 mount lens, it was a nice lens just really large. Looks like this one is a bit smaller and lighter, and $50 more expensive.

A good lens if you like manual focusing, and want something close to the 75mm at a fraction of the price.

• Like Like x 6
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Wowee. Sure beats adapting an 85mm lens. And it sure is a nice alternative to the Olympus 75, for those of us not fortunate enough to have one. I could see myself getting one eventually.

3. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    While it's bigger, and heavier(about 2x) than the Olympus 75mm, it is one-third the price and about 1/2-2/3 stop faster. Definitely something to consider in this focal length range. They have a solid reputation for IQ in other lens mount versions.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It figures. About a month ago I bought the Pentax version of this lens for $349. Now they come out with a :43: version that costs less. I love the lens, sharp and good contrast, but smaller and cheaper is better. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is a great lens! They are making all their lenses in all the mirrorless mounts. Of coarse it makes them long since they have to make the body longer. However it is lighter than an adapted lens and unlike some adapters you have infinity focus.

here is a link to the 85mm on their website{which they just redid BTW}.
    http://www.syopt.com/en/camera/photo-lenses-85mm-F1.4-AS-IF-UMC.php

6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm in two minds about getting the native micro 4/3 version. Yes it's slightly lighter, but if I keep my Canon EF version it allows me to get a Metabones speed booster one day, giving me a 60mm f/1. 0 lens :smile:

7. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Good lens for the good price. Now I am also torn apart between the Canon EF version and this one.

8. Boira

Boira Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2013
    Barcelona
    If it wasn't because I already own the 4/3 version + adapter, I definitely would consider getting this one.

9. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It's great to see Samyang/Rokinon getting fully behind mirrorless cameras now. All of their modern lenses appear to be out in mirrorless mounts -- even a few in EF-M, for those poor owners than Canon seems to be orphaning.

It is interesting that the 85mm is a redesign for mirrorless mounts, and not just a built in adapter like with the 14mm.

The most interesting lens is probably the 10mm coming out soon.

10. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Looks like there is an aperture ring on the lens (as with the Nikon?Canon etc). Anyone know if this is correct, and if it works- unusual for m43 native lens?

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Specs say manual focus, manual aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedandstyle

ALL SamYang/Rokinon lenses are fully manual. The aperture is adjusted on the lens as is the focus. The way God intended lenses to be made! OK I guess I do use AF a lot and sometimes let the camera pick my aperture. However I do wish m4/3 lenses had better manual focus rings and had external aperture rings{overriding the auto}.

13. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, it is how they are able to produce so many different lenses for every mount out there, and keep the quality up and price low. They found a niche in the market and are exploiting it. Other manual focus lenses tend to be either high end, or low quality. And if they tried to go autofocus, they'd be competing not only with the manufacturers, but also with companies like Sigma and Tamron. And that would also add a lot of expense, to make lenses compatible.

The focal lengths they seem to be missing are 28mm and 50mm -- possibly because there are some really low cost AF lenses out there for most cameras. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a 50 f/1.2 or f/0.95 at some point. If they can keep their same optical quality, I think those would sell well.

Adding a macro lens to their lineup might not be a bad idea either. A 100mm f/2.8 macro, for example.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It seems basically unchanged from the prior versions, including the earlier 4/3 mount version, which one could easily adapt to Micro 4/3 and have the functionally identical product. Actually, I own the lens in Nikon mount, and my lens, plus the Nikon to M4/3 adapter, only weighs 14 grams (a half ounce) more than the Micro 4/3 version.

Frankly, I prefer my adapted version, because I can use it on ALL of the following bodies: on Nikons, on 4/3, and on Micro 4/3

15. speedandstyle

The next lens on their list is a 50mm f1.2 and designed for full frame. Of coarse it could be used for APS and m4/3 size sensors too. The thing to do with that would be to get it in Nikon or Canon mount and then add a speedbooster for a 35.5mm f.95.

16. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    I don't think God cares how lenses are made, but that's a completely different topic.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    In order to care how lenses are made, God would need to actually exist - something that has certainly never been established by any sort of reliable science.

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not religious, but please don't go stirring the pot...

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    +1.

That was truly unnecessary and counter to the spirit of the conversation.

20. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    +2 one of this site's rules is 'no religion', so hopefully their is also no anti-religion, no offense meant, of course. By the way, my comment was meant MOSTLY as a joke.
    I believe that God does exist, but that cannot be proven or disproven by science, as it is out of the realm of science.

• Like Like x 1