1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by winx14, Apr 14, 2012.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi - just wondering if you still have this lens and if so how is it to use? Cheers

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Yes, I still have this lens, practically unused. It is a very good lens, but maybe I have to wait a few more years before I can use it for my kids haha

If you're into manual focus, this lens delivers well.

Edit: oops, somehow I thought it was a private message, as Tapatalk alerted me. But won't delete my post just in case you're soliciting opinions. [emoji4]

• Like Like x 1
  3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    A couple shots I took with the Rokinon 85/1.4 (Pentax) back on Saturday, my only gripe with it is the higher chromatic/purple fringing compared to say my Jupiter-11 135/4 (my other 'long' lens) but I shoot raw so that is adjusted to some degree. It's a little harder to get it tack sharp at the point of focus, but I can get it there. I'm usually shooting at f/2 or just between f/2 and f/1.4 depending on the situation.

What helps is the hood it comes with can be handy for making sure rain doesn't get near the front element. Spent most the time standing under little trees and focusing on nearby festival goers.

_6047234_crop_sm_by_kbeezie-da55lou.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_6047287_1920_by_kbeezie-da55oo1.jpg

_6047255_sm_by_kbeezie-da55ll9.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  4. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Decided to get this lens out tonight for a walk around the back yard, and ended up with a couple of portraits of our Lab/Pit mix, Daisy. Always love the results I get with this lens. Both wide open.

Daisy%20b%26w%20-3-X3.jpg
    Daisy%20b%26w%201%20%282%29-X3.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Torn between this and the Sigma 60 f2.8 for portrait. I don't mind the MF.

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I own both, and I prefer the sigma for the table top studio shots (mostly of the fountain pens I have), sharp as a tack at 100% so easy to crop down to, though I'm usually using it at f/5.6~8 with strobes.

The rokinon I find more useful out and about, and a much stronger 'effect' for shallowness. Before a telephoto I prefer my Jupiter 11 f/4 (sharpest lens I have wide open with good contrast) or for portrait range on the street the Olympus 45/1.8

7. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    I guess If I go with the 85, then I'll have to get the 45 as my next lens since the 60mm is too close to the 85mm. Makes sense? But man that 60 is sharp as a blade.

BTW great portfolio!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Does make sense, it's why I usually have the 45 in my bag, and if I take one of the others it's the 85 due to being brighter and a little further. The 60/2.8 stays home usually with my tamron 90/2.8 adaptall 1:1 macro as those two are primarily being used for my tabletop studio. My bag carry is typically the 9/8, 12/2.0, 20/1.7, 45/1.8, and the most likely one to get added to the carry depending on the day is the Jupiter-11 135/4. (the 85 is huge physically speaking)

• Like Like x 1
  9. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I've got the P45, Sigma 60, and a Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 (which is similar to this lens - large, heavy, MF).
    I swap mostly between the 2 native lenses, I really love the 85 but rarely use it due to the weight and MF...

• Like Like x 1
  10. bioduck

bioduck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA, USA
    Dan
    I find this lens very tricky to use as I'm still getting used to the manual focus thing, but I fall more in love with it every time it comes out of the bag.
    PB110299.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. bioduck

bioduck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA, USA
    Dan
    Goodness this lens is even more difficult to use in low lighting, but the results speak for themselves. Minimum focus distance meant I had to literally take steps towards and away from this bird, but I think it worked out well.
    ISO 1250 f/1.4 1/125 with slight cropping
    P1220208.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The tighter (more zoom) scenes in this video are with the Rokinon 85/1.4 (Pentax K mount) adapted to a Roxsen Focal Reducer (0.72x and 1 stop more light), the scenes with the camera moving a bit would be my E-M1 (mk1) like from 0:45 to 1:00 but the stationary scenes like the very last clip would be with my hacked Panasonic GH1.

(the not so close cropped views would be the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 first version)

The lens seems to do better for me in videos (especially with the focal reducer) than it does for me in photographs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    This lens is finally old and boring enough for me to find a good, cheap copy... my thought was to use it on my Lens Turbo II for some low-light fun, but I was concerned about vignetting and flare (my OM Zuiko 135/2.8 suffers from both on the Turbo)... as it turns out, neither one is much of an issue:

g2163528.jpg

I also swapped out the FL reducer for a "normal" adapter with 11mm of extension, because of course I did...

g2173636.jpg

It handles the magnification fairly well... stopping down to f/2 cleans up the glow as you would expect, but why would you be using this beast if you were going to do that? ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  14. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Shortly after 5:20 mark, the camera will zoom into the primary view, which was shot with the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (Pentax-K mount on a Fotodiox PK to MFT adapter) attached to a Panasonic GH4. Everything shown after the 5:30 ish mark until the 8:05 mark will be the 85/1.4.

Originally the plan was to shoot with a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens for Canon EF on a Metabone Speedbooster, but aside from the size and weight, the focal reducer wouldn't allow me to get in as close as I wanted from the balcony. The Rokinon 85 without a focal reducer did the trick and looked good.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    48129756756_688568d474_o.jpg

My copy came in 4/3 mount. It is really a fantastic piece of glass. @f=2.8

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.