Rokinon 85 wide open?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tjdean01, Jul 22, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I bought this lens in PK mount (I didn't get m43s because I want to use it on FF too). Every modern lens I'm familiar with on m43s is pretty good wide open: 20, 25, 45, 30, 60, 75, and even my kit zooms. My Rokinon, at 1.4, with or without focal reducer, just doesn't cut it until f2 (there's no stop between), which, if that's the case, I could just get a vintage 85/1.8 and it'd be smaller too.

I'm comparing it to other lenses. Takumar 50/1.4 is useable at 1.7 IMO. The 50/1.7 I try to shoot at f2.2 or f2.8, but when using the focal reducer even f1.7 is great. The 135/3.5 is better wide open that this Rokinon too.

So, my question is, did I get a bad copy of the Rokinon, or is the lens known to be dreamy, even more so than other lenses I've tried, at f1.4?

PS: what lens should I be looking for in this focal length and price? Obviously, used on Ebay is fine with me :)
  2. brandonsarkis

brandonsarkis Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    I've owned the Canon, Sony and Nikon versions of this lens and all have been extremely sharp at f1.4. I've used it both on the native mount and IN the Canon version, on an m43 adapter on my old E-M5. You may just have a bad lens.
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Interesting. I have the Nikon version could try (my friend shoots nikon FF) but I don't have the adapter for Nikon.
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would not say it's unsharp wide open, but it IS pretty low contrast, which improves noticeably at f2.

BTW, I'd be very curious as to which extremely fast $300 lenses that you have used that are both sharp and contrasty wide open?

Incidentally, a 135mm f3.5 is NOT in any way an extremely fast lens. Even an 85mm f1.8 isn't all that fast. And contrast, unlike sharpness, can get bumped up in post-processing without too much in the way of unpleasant artifacts.
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have one in 4/3 mount. I've been using it on a cheap adapter 100% and have noticed this combo wobbles enough to affect focus, so I will have to retry it on my MF1-DMW-MA1 stack, which is very solid. I've been happy with the results though.

From what I've seen so far, it's better replacement for my FD 85mm. Seems sharper and has more contrast. It sure has a lot purple fringe in certain conditions too.