1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rokinon 7.5mm vs Olympus 9-18mm vs GoPro

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by min, May 15, 2015.

1. min

min Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    I currently own the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye, which I love but I am tempted by the other options. I made a pro and con list below but would like opinions on factors I may not have considered. I will be using it for shooting mostly landscapes and stock footage. I am currently shooting with a GX7 although not attached to the m43 format. All three are reasonably sized and price difference is not a huge factor so image quality and practical usage is the biggest concern for me. Any input, especially from people who used all 3, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye
    Pros
    -Wider aperture, shallower DOF
    -Slightly wider FOV, can still de-fish for narrow FOV if needed.
    Cons
    -Harder to frame shots (horizon needs to be centered)
    -Can't use filters without modification

Olympus 9-18
    Pros
    -Zoom is ideal for run and gun video.
    -Rectilinear for easier framing. No need to defish (Almost always prefer defish images)
    -Works with Cokin A filters (for Grad ND and Polarizer)
    Cons
    -Slower aperture.
    -Reviews seems less favorable to 7.5mm fisheye.

GoPro Hero 4 black
    Pros
    -4K video (worth more $ in stock footage and future proof).
    -Standalone/backup camera. Not format specific. Can use both simultaneously.
    -Can use as action camera.
    Cons
    -No LCD (will sync with phone for framing)
    -Need modification for filters.
    -Limited photographic functions (i.e. manual controls, use with strobe).

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have the 7.5 fisheye and the 9-18 Olympus. I prefer the fisheye. I still use the 9-18, but if I had to choose between the 2 ( assuming I could keep some of my other lenses) I would choose the fisheye.

I have a short attention span, so I really don't care about GoPro.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    All three are so different animals that it's really up to your priorities.
    9-18 would be the most versatile option.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    There's not many subjects where these three are interchangeable. I have the 9-18, and love it in the city and landscapes - it was great in Manchu Picchu. I have a full-frame fisheye on my 5Dm2 but I struggle to use it outside of shooting the dancing during weddings.

I mostly use my Hero 3 for time lapses and driving shots.

5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I have the 9-18 and the Samy FE. Both are great but for all-roundness I would pick the 9-18 although it is slightly slower than the FE. The zoom makes it a very versatile lens.
    I dont think that DOF is a selling point for the FE in most shots you will have everything in focus from about 1 meter to infinity. Wideangle is not really DOF territory. I am very happy with the IQ of both lenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For landscapes, you simple aren't going to get the resolution you would want out of a GoPro. It is designed for video and is a small sensor. Check out some samples on flickr and view them a bit zoomed in. Fine detail is gone. Edges are oversharpened. Noise reduction is apparent.

For traditional landscapes, I don't think a fisheye is ideal. The Go Pro is a fisheye, too, for that matter. I think a 9-18 (or 7-14) is going to suit you better.

7. min

min Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    I agreed DOF is not a major factor although I have gotten some fun close up portraits of kids and pet with blurred background. This is why I might give it up for the olympus or gopro.

I know all three serve different purposes, but they all fit in the ultrawide focal length so I think it's worth comparing. In a pinch, they can replace the others especially when traveling and it is space prohibitive to carry redundant focal lengths.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This is like comparing steak, bananas and cornflakes. No comparison can really give you any useful guidance at all. Do you want a fisheye, a UWA zoom or a waterproof camcorder?

If you're taking landscapes though, and don't like the fisheye effect, then the only choice will be your GX7 and the 9-18. If you want portraits with blurred backgrounds, the only one that will get close is the 9-18, but really you need something with a longer focal length and a wider aperture to do that properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If 4K is a big priority, you may consider trading your GX7 for the new G7 to be released (this Monday?), which is expected to have 4K, and has all the other advantages of the format that you're already familiar with.

10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    First is an overstatement, second is an understatement.

The aperture difference is so slim as to nearly not matter. You won't get shallow DOF on the Samyang unless you're focusing < 12 inches. The Olympus is probably the same. In terms of light gathering ability, it's a difference of a third of a stop, or the difference between 1/60 and 1/80.

And the Samyang's FOV isn't slightly wider, it is significantly wider. Check out these shots that show the fisheye is massively wider than even the Panasonic 7-14 at 7mm. Even defished.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06/lumix-g-7-14mm-compared-with-samyang.html

11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  12. min

min Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback. Decided to stay with the fisheye for now.